Front shock/strut confusion

Turbo John

bilstein shock part #

I tried to order the front shocks/struts for my 2004 Dodge Sprinter.

I have the high ceiling model cargo long wheelbase van

Shock warehouse shows two shock part numbers

a super high ceiling/chassis cab model and a normal

Bilstien 22-214751 normal as they call it
22-214768 super high chassis cab model

I have heard the word super high referred to the T1N model...

2007 and later have a higher roof.

anybody know what the correct part number is?

Because the shock warehouse does not know.....:thinking:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
High ceiling van is not related to age, it's the shorter (normal) van with about 1' above the front windshield also says HC near driver's door.
Super High Ceiling has about 3' above the front windshield, also says SHC near drivers door.
I assume you're needing the normal ones,
the pictured van needs the Super high Ceiling shocks

Attachments

psychoboy

05&06 Dodge Longs & Talls
AS nelson suggests, in the T1N vans, there are two roof heights, High and Super High.

Wordly: High roof vans don't have much roof above the doors. Super High roof vans do have a bunch of roof above the doors.

Experientially: if a six foot guy can stand up in the back of your van, you have a Super High roof. if a six foot guy has to crouch or stoop in the back of your van, you have a High roof.

Visually: High Roof

Super High Roof

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

HC vs SHC (high vs super high): I always tell people that the "low" (HC/high) roof isn't much higher than the gutters.

As for part #, there are MANY tables available on Ebay when you search "sprinter struts". I think I copied and pasted as a search word some of the model #'s suggested, and found info on other websites saying if the shock/strut was for cargo/passenger, 2500/3500 or HC/SHC.

Turbo John

Thanks guys....even the shock people could not answer this........I can stand up in my 2004 Sprinter ( 6ft).......So its a super high... I am curious what is the difference in the two different shocks......? Guess I will look at the specs..
Mine is a cargo van with my main employee being about 6ft 3 in this was important.

I see the newer models are even higher and that was was throwing me a curve ball......

Turbo John

High ceiling van is not related to age, it's the shorter (normal) van with about 1' above the front windshield also says HC near driver's door.
Super High Ceiling has about 3' above the front windshield, also says SHC near drivers door.
I assume you're needing the normal ones,
the pictured van needs the Super high Ceiling shocks
it says SHC >? where does it say that on a T1N?

lindenengineering

it says SHC >? where does it say that on a T1N?
If its any help
KYB sells three different shock absorbers for TIN Sprinters
Low roof models
High roof models
3500 twin wheel vans and box trucks ! That's it!
I fit these due to good product support, work very well, used in commercial business applications where you might run into a DOT roadside inspection and get flagged for bad shockers.
Of all the units fitted never had a complaint!
For info:-
One of my customers got VOR'd by CDOT during a roadside stop.
Numerous faults including shock absorbers. He lost a contract to haul Max Factor Cosmetic products due to non delivery.
Won't do that again!

KYBs are available off the shelf at places like Car Quest for reasonable money and you don't have to go searching for Euro made hard to find replacements going by such exotic Teutonic made up names like Bedspringdorktechniq to embellish your Made in Detroit or finished in Detroit Sprinter van.

Plus if you have a problem they won't support your failed purchase in most cases.

If its any consolation KYBs are made in Japan, home of Toyota and other reliable last for ever 200K makes.
Dennis

surlyoldbill

Just to be a stickler, the front does NOT HAVE SHOCKS, it has struts.

yeah, I call them shocks sometimes, too.

Here's some part #'s I gleaned from ebay just now by searching "sprinter 2500 struts":
Bilstein 22-214751 $212
Bilstein 22-214768 $201
Some other Bilstein $122 (make sure if you know you're buying 1 or 2!)
KYB 335809 Suspension Strut $104
Front Koni 87 2638 $262

I don't know the difference between the Bilsteins, but it sounds like you already searched them.

Last edited:

Turbo John

your right they are technically STRUTS.......but shocks and struts become a mute point after awhile since we all know they absorb shock.

psychoboy

05&06 Dodge Longs & Talls
*moot

(and for those who question the difference: Shocks do little more than limit spring bounce. they are not responsible for steering actions, or lateral wheel loads, or anything. if you take the shocks off your car, the suspension geometry still exists. Struts DO limit spring bounce as well, but they are also critical pieces of the suspension/steering.)

Turbo John

all true but the reason we have to replace them is for the SHOCK function and no other reason.......the shock portion is the only thing that wears out....that's the function we refer to ...hence the only need to replace them and why we refer to them as "Shocks".......I use the word strut as well and its all moot

surlyoldbill

I only made the clarification because when I was looking for new front struts, there were ones listed as "front shocks" and were indeed shocks that would "fit your vehicle" not struts according to their picture (some retailers don't know or care if their information is incorrect or if their parts will work for you). If you're looking online, use the search words "front struts", not "front shocks".

lindenengineering

Well this moot point is like saying motor when you really mean engine.

The internal combustion variety that is, not to confused with a propulsion unit using electricity!
Dennis

surlyoldbill

Or saying stride length when you really mean step length.
Every specialty has it's own vocabulary that isn't immediately clear to the layman.
As I mentioned, I'll say "front shocks" when it isn't important to clarify, because I'll assume that most people will know what I mean (or not know what a strut is).

Last edited:

RedFord77

If its any help
KYB sells three different shock absorbers for TIN Sprinters
Low roof models
High roof models
3500 twin wheel vans and box trucks ! That's it!
I fit these due to good product support, work very well, used in commercial business applications where you might run into a DOT roadside inspection and get flagged for bad shockers.
Of all the units fitted never had a complaint!
Dennis
Dennis,

Are you saying that you can make the 3500 Twin wheel shocks / struts fit any other model?

Or when you say fitted, are you simply imploring us to have the shocks replaced for safety and DOT reasons?

Basically I think my front passenger strut makes a big bang, when I hit potholes, and want something that works well.

Turbo John

Well this moot point is like saying motor when you really mean engine.

The internal combustion variety that is, not to confused with a propulsion unit using electricity!
Dennis
Whats your opinion on the wearability of the OEM front strut/shock on a 2004 model with 80k miles....I am thinking I could use some but only going by years ago......normal usage of shocks says they are worn at 80K what do you guys think or know of?
Thanks

Panzer Kaptin

Haulin' Mass
Whats your opinion on the wearability of the OEM front strut/shock on a 2004 model with 80k miles....I am thinking I could use some but only going by years ago......normal usage of shocks says they are worn at 80K what do you guys think or know of?
Thanks
Any thoughts?

I have the same question.

Thinking about going with some new KYB Excel/GR-2's.

Top Bottom