How fast should my sprinter go ?

ctp89

I have a 1999 310d lwb hi top it seems to struggle to get past around 60-65 even on motorways I can coax it up to about 70 going downhill

Load is minimal as it is used to transport mountain bikes around the country mostly

I serviced it about 3000 miles ago ( after buying it) and it seems to have made little difference I changed oil air and fuel filters

Is there anything I should look for that would be bringing the power down or is it normal?

Thanks
Charles

ctp89

You able to edit your post, for up to 24hrs.

It could have the speed limiter option, assuming it was available for your model in 1999.
Cheers I will keep that in mind, I will have a look and see if there is an option for a limiter on it.

Nelsonsprinter, I had that thought myself but I thought I would ask as it seems a little slow.

pgr

I had an '84 209d that would certainly go 75 mph all day long (even if it was a dog)!

shortshort

Dis member
How so ? I'm still pretty new to the mercedes tricks and methods

The only digital part of the dash is the odo so there is no computer I can see
If the van has a diagnostic port they sell devices to read the various sensors. Like boost pressure.

ctp89

Highly doubtfully that this vehicle has an obd port much less a turbo!
It has a turbo and I think from what I have read it has an older type fitting for a diagnostic machine ( obviously due to the age) it looks like a round port instead of the more modern "scart" shape I can't look at it for a week or so as I am around 2000 miles away with work

I don't expect as much info as you get from a modern car/computer but it should throw a few codes my way if there's something up

sailquik

ctp89,
There are adapters available that will convert the newer OBD-II connector to the older round OBD connector.
Several members in AUZ/NZ and the UK have used them successfully.
If you are thinking of buying the Scan Gauge II (or similar) as a code reader, to scan you older Sprinter for
DTC's you will most likely be very disappointed.
Generic OBD-II codes do not often apply to Sprinters, so most of the codes you might get would be generic
in nature and may or may not (mostly not) apply to any real DTCs that a Sprinter specific MB type diagnostic
tools might develop for you.
The Scan Gauge II (or similar) can be used as a driving aid, to help you drive your older Sprinter in a manner
that will help to prevent issues that might cause DTC codes.
Roger

ctp89

ctp89,
There are adapters available that will convert the newer OBD-II connector to the older round OBD connector.
If you are thinking of buying the Scan Gauge II (or similar) as a code reader, to scan you older Sprinter for
Generic OBD-II codes do not often apply to Sprinters, so most of the codes you might get would be generic
in nature and may or may not (mostly not) apply to any real DTCs that a Sprinter specific MB type diagnostic
The Scan Gauge II (or similar) can be used as a driving aid, to help you drive your older Sprinter in a manner
Roger
I think my best option here is to borrow said machine from someone and maybe take a punt on the adaptor as a " just in case, might be worth a try " kind of way

How much is the average to get a stealership to plug it in ? I would guess around £30-40

Dingo

Find an indie Merc who uses genuine Merc star diagnostic & get them to read any codes & remove / raise any speed / rev limiters that are set in the ECU . You should be able to thump along at 85-90 mph all day long with a 310 .

My 312 has topped out into 3 figures ( on a private runway ! ! ! ! ! ! ! honest ) & thats with only 20 BHP more than you .

If you have no limits set , change the fuel filter & drop the fuel tank , remove the sender & clean out the white pot , I have found quite a few early sprinters with what looks like a birds nest in the white pot , blocking off & reducing fuel flow to the filter . NO idea how or where the birds nest comes from

ctp89

Find an indie Merc who uses genuine Merc star diagnostic & get them to read any codes & remove / raise any speed / rev limiters that are set in the ECU . You should be able to thump along at 85-90 mph all day long with a 310 .

My 312 has topped out into 3 figures ( on a private runway ! ! ! ! ! ! ! honest ) & thats with only 20 BHP more than you .

If you have no limits set , change the fuel filter & drop the fuel tank , remove the sender & clean out the white pot , I have found quite a few early sprinters with what looks like a birds nest in the white pot , blocking off & reducing fuel flow to the filter . NO idea how or where the birds nest comes from
That's an interesting thought with the fuel tank I will take it to a garage when I get back to the uk and get them to have a look first though

I am glad I asked now, I though 65-70 was slow for a max speed

FYI the fuel filter was changed 3000 miles ago (and made no noticeable difference then either)

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
ctp89,
Roger
Chris,

I bought one of these from eBay UK... Link and it works great with a ScanGauge ll on my 313CDi so MAY give you some info from your pre-CDi motor.

Worth a punt for £6.50 if you can find soemone with a SG ll to plug into it.

Keith.

Boater

That adapter looks useful - couldn't find anything like that last time I looked, mine you, I was looking to use one of the phone apps with a bluetooth OBD2 connector (also on ebay, similar prices) to monitor live data so gave up when I found out none of them were available for blackberry....

In other news, it seems to be possible to buy genuine carsoft diagnostics from ebay (icarsoft) these days for much less than their own website prices, I haven't upgraded mine yet as my van is some way from needing it.
Don't know if it would be able to reset a limiter - you might still need a dealer or indie to take a look with star.

Dingo

Morning Boater , all well with you ?? .

With regards to these adaptors , yes they work as they only alter which pins are linked to another . your problems arise getting a third party software / hardware combo to speak to the ECU . It is similar to a Glaswegian yapping with a cockney , both speak English , just variations of it with misunderstanding thrown in . For our foreign viewers rpalce the two choices i have given with two contrasting dialects of your choice .

Used these people for leads for other makes , Dave Wilks very helpful & funny
http://www.beatthegarage.com/ and i seem to remember someone using one of these to read the sprinter codes

http://www.beatthegarage.com/product/040_uk_maxiscan_ms509_obdii_diagnostic_code_reader_eobd_/

Hope it helps

Top Bottom