Alliance oil

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Its pretty simple. For the best approved oil for T1N, choose from sheet 228.5 or 229.5 not from the .51 sheets. You can also use the cheaper oils from 228.3, but you must lower the intervals for those. But again, avoid the .31 sheet.

The .51 and .31 are only for the NCV3 DPF equipped vehicles, and that oil isnt as good in the T1N (and the NCV3 but they have no choice)

The more I read about oils I realize the less I know, oil groups 4 & 5, ester based oils, hydrocracked semi synthetic oils, mineral based modified and so on, yep, it does get confusing.
Rob.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
OK I'm completely confused by all of this.

Can somebody summarise what's been said, and hopefully answer my couple of questions.

Which specification is needed as a minimum for the 316 T1N?

Which of the higher classifications are also suitable?

Does the oil need to be a diesel oil or not? I thought they should be because of the contaminants put out by the engine.

Thanks
Don't worry that much as oils keep changing, that's where a tad of confusion comes into play.
These were the original specs for your model Charlie many are discontinued and or have been enhanced.
DSC02485 (Custom).JPG

DSC02483 (Custom).JPG

DSC02484 (Custom).JPG

DSC02485 (Custom).JPG

DSC02483 (Custom).JPG

DSC02484 (Custom).JPG
23 thousand ks completed in the last 3 months seven days a week non stop, never missed a beat day in day out, night after night. we cruised the island under full and half payloads, with one single liter of oil used.

DSC03657 (1) (Custom).JPG

DSC03670 (1) (Custom) (3).JPG

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
Don't worry that much as oils keep changing, that's where a tad of confusion comes into play.
These were the original specs for your model Charlie many are discontinued and or have been enhanced.
View attachment 52548

View attachment 52549

View attachment 52550

View attachment 52548

View attachment 52549

View attachment 52550
23 thousand ks completed in the last 3 months seven days a week non stop, never missed a beat day in day out, night after night. we cruised the island under full and half payloads, with one single liter of oil used.

View attachment 52551

View attachment 52552

Richard,

Thanks, but none of those photos show the spec for a 316.

Also doesn't answer my question about "does it need to be a diesel oil"

Charlie

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
For light duty mb diesels like the sprinter you can use 229.5 spec oil. That is factory fill as mobil1 0W40. 229.5 is also specified for petrol engines.

You can also use 228.5 oils in mb diesels including heavy duty diesel engines. But you can't use 229.5 in heavy duty diesels.

This leads me to believe that 228.5 is generally better than 229.5 fwiw, but either is fine for the sprinter.

For light duty mb diesels like the sprinter you can use 229.5 spec oil. That is factory fill as mobil1 0W40. 229.5 is also specified for petrol engines.

You can also use 228.5 oils in mb diesels including heavy duty diesel engines. But you can't use 229.5 in heavy duty diesels.

This leads me to believe that 228.5 is generally better than 229.5 fwiw, but either is fine for the sprinter.
Not that my opinion should have any impact, but I agree. There is what I think is a rather large misconception that the higher number MB spec lubricants are better in all ways than their lower number predecessors. In the MB BEVO system just because it is a different formulation and a lower number does not automatically mean that it is an inferior product. It means that it is a different product. If it were not up to the task then they would not list it on BEVO.

Just my opinion in yet another oil thread. vic

Top Bottom