Well, looks like my ''good luck'' ended..

solera

Pulled the cover, found a leak at the #1 injector.

Took to dealer,who managed to break off the hold down bolt in the head.

Now he wants to sell me a new head,, or truck.. bastards... :yell:

Is there a good way of extracting the remains of this bolt?

As I type this, he's with his mgr ''discussing the problem''

Anybody have any input??? ..

solera

Doctor A to the rescue! Please keep us posted on your problem.Good luck!

Went and looked, at the problem.

The bolt is broken 21 mill from the head.

Right where the threads start.....

Secured a budget rental van, to be able to work tomorrow.

the Good Doktor n' I,,,, are discussing it. :hmmm:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Here is the #1 injector bore and its hold down bolt bore. Note that the 6.0mmx1.0mm threads for the hold down bolt begin 45mm below the top of hole down a smooth 8mm bore. I sent Jim these photos and we are deciding if he can tackle this locally. The challenge here-Jim has roughly 35mm of that broken 6mm bolt protruding into that smooth 8mm bore-and this broken bolt segment is below the surface of that bore's opening. Doktor A

Attachments

mobileoilchange

is removing the head out of the question?

if you remove the head you can put the head in a mill (bridgeport) and drill it out. or you could remove the head, drill a hole into the center of the bolt and try using an ezout. place the head into an oven or hot plate to evenly heat it, and try removing the broken bolt with an ez out. but if you break the ez out your screwed because its hardend.

to me...and this is just my opinion, i would remove all the injector bolts and replace them with studs. you can get long studs with a inverted hex, like a set screw and use them in place of the bolts. then when its time to remove the injector you just undo a nut. (if the stud turns while removing the nut, then you could also use a allen wrench to hold the stud and a box wrench on the nut) studs also dont put as much stress on the threads as a bolt does.

im an ex tool and die maker by trade, and i use to buy long set screws up to 10" in length...although they were standard thread and not metric. stainless steel would be the way to go. you just need to find some that are threaded only on the ends and not the whole lenght of the stud.

ARP may have something.

PS the mechanic should of tried removing the bolt while the engine was hot, because the aluminum has a faster expansion rate then the steel bolt. and he should of tried loosening and tightening it a little at a time to slowly remove it.

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Here are photos of the same #1 cyl injector bore and hold down bolt bore with the cam cover removed. To remove the cam cover all the injectors must be removed. To remove all the injectors means the engine has to be lowered for access to rear injectors(they are long). To remove the cylinder head from engine is many more hours labor in addition. I will suggest that Jim attempt a repair with head in place. Doktor A

Attachments

solera

I had a thought last night.

Would it be possible to enlarge the opening around, what remains,, of the bolt?

Is there plenty of metal to do so, and no passageways that you would cut into ?

I'm thinking, to about,, 14mm. (or whatever is needed, to do the job)

If we can do that,,, then we could have a tube machined to the proper length, say about 35 mm or so long.

Have it threaded on the inside.

Using a bolt and a few nuts, (locked in the top of our part) run it down on the exposed stud until it seats at the bottom.

Remove bolt and nuts. Now,,, run shorter new bolt into this, to hold down new injector..

I was thinking about using a small hole saw like tool to remove the metal from the head.

Possible ? or bad idea? :hmmm:

Or,,, having not actually seen it.

Is there any exposed thread already?

Enough to do this without,, removing any aluminum ?

Last edited:

mobileoilchange

Re: Well, looks like my ''good luck'' ended..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a thought last night.

Would it be possible to enlarge the opening around, what remains,, of the bolt?

Is there plenty of metal to do so, and no passageways that you would cut into ?

I'm thinking, to about,, 14mm. (or whatever is needed, to do the job)

If we can do that,,, then we could have a tube machined to the proper length, say about 35 mm or so long.

Have it threaded on the inside.

Using a bolt and a few nuts, (locked in the top of our part) run it down on the exposed stud until it seats at the bottom.

Remove bolt and nuts. Now,,, run shorter new bolt into this, to hold down new injector..

I was thinking about using a small hole saw like tool to remove the metal from the head.

Possible ? or bad idea?

Or,,, having not actually seen it.

Is there any exposed thread already?

Enough to do this without,, removing any aluminum ?

im not really understanding what you mean, but. if the broken bolt is 35mm (about 1 3/8" down into the hole) what if the exposed hole was enlarged and had a threaded insert installed (not a heli coil). you could then use a bolt that would be about 1 3/8" or shorter to hold the injector hold down in place. if you need a insert made let me know and ill whip you one out and mail it to you. i would just need the dimensions.

PS: DO NOT USE A HOLE SAW! it would be best to use a hand reamer to enlarge the hole slowly in steps. that way the hole will be round and straight. example: 7mm reamer, 8mm reamer, 9mm reamer etc etc until you get to the finished tap size. then tap the hole to match the threaded insert O.D.

if the mechanic uses a air or electric drill he may gaul the drill bit into the aluminum and break it off (bad bad bad), drill it on an angle, or make the hole out of round. It would be best to use a hand reamer and go slowly in steps, and use a cutting fluid like tap magic or kerosen.

Last edited:

Suba

I've read enough about broken injector bolts that it's becoming a concern of mine. I understand the mechanics of the failure, but not the underlying causes that may exacerbate the failure. Are the guys who have these failures doing something unusual ( atypical )

I would like to ask Solera what his driving habits are. What sustained RPM do you normally run ? Would you consider your driving habits as spirited ? Do you carry weight, and if so, how much. Do you have a boost kit. Do you use fuel additives, and is so, what kind. What kind of fuel do you normally use ? Is there anything you feel you may have done to contribute to this problem ?

talkinghorse43

I've read enough about broken injector bolts that it's becoming a concern of mine. I understand the mechanics of the failure, but not the underlying causes that may exacerbate the failure. Are the guys who have these failures doing something unusual ( atypical )

I would like to ask Solera what his driving habits are. What sustained RPM do you normally run ? Would you consider your driving habits as spirited ? Do you carry weight, and if so, how much. Do you have a boost kit. Do you use fuel additives, and is so, what kind. What kind of fuel do you normally use ? Is there anything you feel you may have done to contribute to this problem ?
Maybe this had something to do with the failure?

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2720&page=2

Suba

But I will admit, I do not drive it like I'm trying for, high mileage. :D:
So let me get this straight. You abuse your van, then come crying to the forum when something breaks.......

Am I understanding this correctly ?

solera

So let me get this straight. You abuse your van, then come crying to the forum when something breaks.......

Am I understanding this correctly ?
Where did I use,,, the word ''abuse'' :hmmm:

Was not the vehicle made,,, to drive..

Where does it say you can only use half of the pedal,, in the owners manual? :rolleyes:

Do you have the page # ?

Lastly, Grown men,,,,, don't ''cry''.. :smilewink:

Suba

Please forgive me for not following, and adhering to the proper social cyber space guidelines that on one hand dictate the delicate level of sensitivity and social decorum needed to convey our innermost thoughts, yet on the other convey in the most concise and direct way possible the true meaning of the words typed therein....

Lastly, Grown men,,,,, don't ''cry''.. :smilewink:
Are you sure about that ? :smilewink:

Top Bottom