Anybody ever used Lucas oil additive?

I've noticed a few posts about steering system leaks. I learned that I could not rebuild my 2004 steering rack. I sucked out the reservoir and replaced it with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak fluid as a preventative measure. No problems at the time (2010?). None so far. 246,000 302,000 335,000 344,000+ on the van. 100,000 + now on the Lucas fluid.

I'm certain others have my mileage and much more without steering system issues. If my experiment does nothing else it shows that the Lucas product will not immediately destroy your steering system. I would not hesitate to suggest that anyone who notices a leak should try the Lucas Stop Leak before going for the expensive rack replacement. If seals are seeping it will likely work.

No other additives used other than Power Service Diesel Antigel in the white jug (for winter season only). FWIW. vic

Last edited:

sailquik

Narcis,
What would you hope to gain/improve by adding the Lucas Engine oil treatment?
Mobil 1 0w-40 European Car Formula has all the additives you need for a T1N
5 cyl 2.7 liter OM-612 or OM-647 Sprinter.
Mobil 1 5w-40 ESP (Emissions Systems Protections) Formula M has all the additives
you need for an OM-642 V6 3.0 liter NCV3 Sprinter.
Plain ULSD diesel fuel from high volume fueling stations, blended correctly for the season/temperature has all the additives you need to keep your Sprinter running
at it's peak if you change the engine oil and fuel/air filters at the MB recommended
intervals.
Drive them correctly.....up in the best efficiency range for the speed and road conditions,
and additives are IMHO a waste of money.
Running > 2000 RPMs (get it up to 3200 a few times a day to "blow out the soot and
other diesel combustion by products) will keep your Sprinter running at max. efficiency
for many, many trouble free miles.
The cost/benefit of driving your Sprinter efficiently at a bit higher RPMs (usually < 0.5 MPG) will most certainly save you significant $$ over adding a bunch of additives that may do something good, but then again may do something bad.

Never had any of the EGR/TR/DPF issues with any of my 4 Sprinters so far, and not a
single additive has ever been added to the engine oil, trans fluid, rear end gear oil,
or the fuel. Why have I had 4 Sprinters.....2 of them have been taken off the road in deer crashes.
My services are all preformed at an authorized MB Sprinter dealer (Sun Motor Cars) at as close to the correct mileage as I can manage (usually within 100-200 miles before or after the recommended interval).
My cost of ownership is quite good doing things this way.
I see lots of others using additives, non- approved fluids and parts, and they seem to
have a lot of problems.
I don't have any of these problems, so I can only surmise that saving money on parts and fluids.....using lots of additives.....is a "self inflicted" way to increase your cost per mile and
ensure that your Sprinter is less reliable that it was designed to be.
Roger

rlent

I am curios if any of you has ever used Lucas oil additive in your Sprinter? Thank you!
No ... and I never will ...

Somewhere (BITOG forum - Bob Is The Oil Guy ?) I read a VOA (virgin oil analysis) done on Lucas Oil Additive (not the power steering stuff) ... long story short:

Lucas contains nothing of any value in terms of an additive package - the only thing it does is increase oil viscosity (make your oil thicker) ... probably about the last thing I'd want to do.

Like most "Magic Motor Rebuild In A Can" it's essentially ... junk ...

To be clear, I have only ever used the Lucas Power Steering Leak Stop. I first began using it many, many years (decades?) ago on the recommendation of my independent mechanic. It's been a solution for me. I was not endorsing Lucas products in general.

I don't use, and never have regularly used, any other additives for engine oil or transmissions other than occasional fuel injector cleaner, dry gas, and now Power Service Diesel Kleen antigel. I agree that most additives aren't worth the price. Circumstances may alter cases. There are times with an old vehicle on its last legs where you have nothing to lose by trying them. I know people who have freed up stuck lifters and similar problems on vehicles that were not worth taking apart to repair. vic

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I use 8 oz of SeaFoam in the oil 1 day before I change it (the goal being to get rid of as much sludge in the engine as possible before I drain the oil).

I also use SeaFoam as an injector/fuel system cleaner (I put in 16 ounces into the 26 gallon tank about once a month). I use Stanadyne lubricity additive to the fuel on any fill up that I did not add SeaFoam to.

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
My van also get "snack" every time I refuel it. I use fuel additive only. Also, I put 8 ounces of Marvel oil to fuel, if no additive. Seafoam to fuel only.
Years back, I was using in my older vans- RESTORE -oil additive and was giving me about 2000 miles of better engine performance. Sounded tighter, and had better fuel mileage. However, I wouldn't use on Sprinter engine.I am driving on Rotella T6 Synthetic, I also use this oil for my bikes, now BMW R1150RT and R1100RT and can't complain.I also used Lukas for power steering - in my older vans with good result. Speaking of Seafoam- I had my EGR valve removed, (was not really dirty), I soaked in it for 5 hours. Carbon was not destroyed, I had to use soft brush to make it look cleaner.

Speaking of additives a friend of mine (farmer) had an old tractor that hadn't had a oil change for years so he decided to give the engine an internal clean by running it for a short while with diesel in the sump instead of oil.
The old engine started feeding off the fumes from sump and when he tried to stop the engine by cutting off the fuel supply it continued to increase in revs till it finally put a foot out of bed and stopped.
True story !!!!:yell:

Top Bottom