Rust and Warranty

Higgybaby

As with the many others, I have reached the point where the level of rust on my white 2006 2500 Sprinter has gone from annoying to down right unacceptable. I first noticed rust on all high spots and edges like doors, gutters, seams, etc after about 3 months. Now, at about 10 months, I have signs of rust coming up thru the paint on flat exterior surfaces as well as the worst possible nightmare... around the windshield. I've never even HEARD of anything this ridiculous. Even Fords aren't close to that bad.

I live in the same area as Sikwan where it is dry (almost year round) with no salt in the atmosphere and no salt on the roads.

Anyways, out of all of you that have stated they have similar problems with their Sprinters, have any of you had any success with warranties? How did you get it taken care of and with whom? The only corrosion warranty information I could find seemed to state that sheet-metal had to be perforated all the way thru, as opposed to only rust.

Any advice or guidance you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Note: Other than the lack of paint and the windshied wipers, the Sprinter is the coolest vehicle I've ever owned.

contractor

As with the many others, I have reached the point where the level of rust on my white 2006 2500 Sprinter has gone from annoying to down right unacceptable. I first noticed rust on all high spots and edges like doors, gutters, seams, etc after about 3 months. Now, at about 10 months, I have signs of rust coming up thru the paint on flat exterior surfaces as well as the worst possible nightmare... around the windshield. I've never even HEARD of anything this ridiculous. Even Fords aren't close to that bad.

I live in the same area as Sikwan where it is dry (almost year round) with no salt in the atmosphere and no salt on the roads.

Anyways, out of all of you that have stated they have similar problems with their Sprinters, have any of you had any success with warranties? How did you get it taken care of and with whom? The only corrosion warranty information I could find seemed to state that sheet-metal had to be perforated all the way thru, as opposed to only rust.

Any advice or guidance you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Note: Other than the lack of paint and the windshied wipers, the Sprinter is the coolest vehicle I've ever owned.
I live in the Northeast where the roads are heavily salted. I wash the van (outside and underneath) after each snow. The only area that I noticed wear, hopefully nowhere else, is at the rear mudflaps. They have worn right thru the paint and down to the bare metal by a condition called fretting (vibrating while driving). I also suggest that you flood the inside wheel wells because a lot of sand is lodged between the body and plastic molding.
Your condition is not normal and I would look into a warrantee claim. The body may not have been preped properly or they where having issues with the paint (water based is not that robust). Good luck.

SprintED

Just washed off my 2005 (silver) after about a two week cold snap where I was unable to wash it. It was covered in road grime from melting roadways of late...this includes slush, salt, sand etc...

After washing I found no less than 6 spots of rust approx 1/4"-3/8" in diameter eminating from small chips or what may be metal filings covered with thin coat of paint. I rubbed all the rust of easily with my finger with the chip remaining rusty. NOTE these spots were not there two weeks ago when I washed it last.

Previous domestic vans NEVER did this even after longer exposure to salt etc...:thumbdown:

I could be wrong but i had a conversation about "surface rust" with the dealership body shop and they led me to believe that it would not be considered a warranty item. They basically said that if you get a rock chip in the paint and it starts to rust it is not DC's fault.:idunno:

Ed

acvr4

I was shocked to when I noticed all the tiny spots of rust on my white van - very minor. It's the first white one that I've owned. Most of mine will come off once I wax it in the spring but it's discouraging to see when I wash it.:idunno:
My friend has a white Dodge Pickup and I noticed the rust spotting on his too.

Top Bottom