Shore Power Install

atulin

I don't think I've seen shore power inlets installed in the the corner of the back bumper so here is how I did mine. My setup is a little different in that I have a 30 amp and a 15 amp connection in the rear and I'll be adding a 15 amp in the front bumper. The 30 amp in the rear and the 15 amp in the front feed the inverter/charger. The 15 amp in the rear is only for powering my roof A/C unit. It feeds to a cam switch that lets me switch between powering the A/C with that connection or the inverter. The goal of this is to be able to able to plug in the 30 amp and the 15 amp at the same time to run the A/C while charging the battery bank at 150 amps. During the day I have shore power available for a few short periods so I want to make the very most of it for charging my batteries. Anyway, just heading off questions about why I have a second connection versus using a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter.

I removed the driver's side rear bumper cover and the vent behind it. There is an opening in the body big enough to feed a 3/4in flexible conduit up to the removable vent cover inside.

The key to this location is that to get enough depth for the inlets I used they need to line up with the vent opening. The 15 amp is pretty easy but the 30 amp only has about 1/8th of clearance. Since I needed to have both I had to trim a little out of the top of the vent.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pictures? :idunno:
The pics are there for me, for now. They are not loaded onto Sprinter-source so they will likely go away some time in the future and reduce the value of the information.

It really is best if the pictures are included on Sprinter-source. Sikwan hasn't commented about lack of storage space so I presume that isn't a problem here. There is a high pressure pump Write-up which had great pictures, but they weren't posted to Sprinter-source. Those are no longer accessible and the originals are gone. (I asked.) If anyone has problems adding pictures to a Write-up please PM me. I'm willing to reduce them and send them back for posting, or even post them for you. I know that Dick Autostaretx has offered to do that also, so maybe he is another possible contact. FWIW. vic

atulin

The pics are there for me, for now. They are not loaded onto Sprinter-source so they will likely go away some time in the future and reduce the value of the information.

It really is best if the pictures are included on Sprinter-source. Sikwan hasn't commented about lack of storage space so I presume that isn't a problem here. There is a high pressure pump Write-up which had great pictures, but they weren't posted to Sprinter-source. Those are no longer accessible and the originals are gone. (I asked.) If anyone has problems adding pictures to a Write-up please PM me. I'm willing to reduce them and send them back for posting, or even post them for you. I know that Dick Autostaretx has offered to do that also, so maybe he is another possible contact. FWIW. vic
Sorry about that. I didn't like the limitation (or my lack of seeing a way around it) of just having 5 photos at the bottom of the post but I certainly see your point. I just went back and put the most important 5 on the sprinter-source server.

How do we do that?? (not that you asked, FWIW, Admiral Vic.) :smilewink:
:thinking: I hope you're not shinin' me.

For images not saved to Sprinter-source you don't do anything. Eventually they will likely just go away. Often after enough time goes by, or after too many people access the images, the site they are on either deletes the pictures or stops access for Sprinter-source linking.

If you're asking how to add attachments (pictures, etc.) then this is one way.

Scroll down the page until you see "Manage Attachments"

000manage.jpg

Click on it. You should then see this screen. If you click "Browse" then it will take you to your personal computer files.

000Browse.jpg

Once you are browsing in your personal files then you just search around until you you can click on the attachment you want to add. You can add up to 5 attachments per post. (Just add another post for more pics than 5.) After all the pics up to 5 that you want are added then you click on Upload. After they have loaded, some of the browse buttons will go away. If you are done, then click "Close this window". If you still want to add more attachments then click an open Browse button to keep the process going.

To access the pictures you attached just go to the top of the text box and click the Paperclip.

000paperclip.jpg

Once you click it there will be a drop down listing the attachments. First postion your cursor in the text box where you want the first picture to show up. Then you can click on each attachment to place them at the cursor where you want them in the post. If you just load attachments and don't put them where you want, the site default will place them all below your text.

If your pictures (attachments) are too big they will not be uploaded and you will get information about how big they actually are. You will need to reduce them enough to let them be accepted. After some trials you will figure out what works.

Most all printer programs come with some sort of photo editor. Most all PC's have Paint or some other basic program which will work. I usually leave the original file as is by just adding a "sm" (without the quotes, for small) to the reduced file name when I save it. That way you can return to the original file if the changes weren't what you liked.

A couple different descriptions of using Microsoft Paint to re-size pictures.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint

http://www.wikihow.com/Resize-an-Image-in-Microsoft-Paint

Last edited:

davidlboss

Hello Atulin,

I love how you did this install! I would like to do it as well but I can't get the darn panel off. I don't want to break the side panel but do you just pry in out? I see a eyelet in your pictures and that is what stopping me. Is there a trick?

atulin

Hello Atulin,

I love how you did this install! I would like to do it as well but I can't get the darn panel off. I don't want to break the side panel but do you just pry in out? I see a eyelet in your pictures and that is what stopping me. Is there a trick?
As I remember there are two clips with a center pin that pulls out to unlock them under the side trim panel. One is in the larger part where I mounted my connections and the other is in the little section above it. You'll probably need to pop the side trim piece loose from its first 2 or 3 rows of clips going forward. You'll also need the remove most of the screws holding the bumper trim piece on. I can't remember if I removed it completely. In the pictures it looks like I might have but that might have been for investigating my options for running wires.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Great summary,

I just removed the rear corner plastic to copy your shore power cable route and got stuck on vent panel, the one with rubber flaps. Do you need access from inside to remove this panel or it simply snaps out?

I am planning to use SmartPlug mounted on the side of the hitch in its own box so I am only routing the cable through the vent hole.

George.

Attachments

atulin

Great summary,

I just removed the rear corner plastic to copy your shore power cable route and got stuck on vent panel, the one with rubber flaps. Do you need access from inside to remove this panel or it simply snaps out?

I am planning to use SmartPlug mounted on the side of the hitch in its own box so I am only routing the cable through the vent hole.

George.
It pops out

PaulDavis

Atulin - just copied your install. Have you ever had any issues with water finding its way into the back corner, after you opened up the ventilation hole/treatment back there?

atulin

Atulin - just copied your install. Have you ever had any issues with water finding its way into the back corner, after you opened up the ventilation hole/treatment back there?
I haven't pulled the cover to look in that space but it certainly can't get up to the in inlet into the interior unless I was in about 2ft of water.

Top Bottom