Best spot for Scangauge ( imho)

I mounted mine up high...upper left corner of the windshield to an aluminum plate that is folded around the headliner and is double-taped to the top of the gauge. It is nice there but the sky as a backlight makes it hard to see in the daytime. Since my GPS is also mounted along the top of the windshield and can suffer the same problem I installed a 4" wide black tape across the top of the glass which took care of the problem.

Last edited:

mofo989

Looks like the Sprinter mirror I have will not work with the clip, not enough skinny section to clip on to. Also I think the stock ScanGauge cable is too short, so I'm ordering a ProClip!

WPJ

I mounted mine up high...upper left corner of the windshield to an aluminum plate that is folded around the headliner and is double-taped to the top of the gauge. It is nice there but the sky as a backlight makes it hard to see in the daytime. Since my GPS is also mounted along the top of the windshield and can suffer the same problem I installed a 4" wide black tape across the top of the glass which took care of the problem.
Walter sounds interesting could you take a pic of your setup

Thanks
Will

Walter sounds interesting could you take a pic of your setup

Thanks
Will
I will do it tomorrow. Cant really see the aluminum plate though. Its a bit of 18ga about the size of a playing card bent in a U with the spacing a tad thinner that the headliner so it holds itself. Cable is routed down the A-pillar to the OBD connector.

Walter thanks so much. That looks great. Almost makes me think I should put my ultragauge up there.

Did you add something to the window. That black band at the top looks interesting.

Its 4" black vinyl tape. Same as I use on the race car windshield. Applied on the inside.

mofo989

I used the trick from this thread of unclipping the factory connector from the holder -- -sweet trick, thanks! Now, what do you think of using this Y-cable? Will it allow us to instal one leg back into the factory holder? And for those that debate Scangauge vs Ultragauge... you can run both and geek out!

Last edited:

WPJ

I used the trick from this thread of unclipping the factory connector from the holder -- -sweet trick, thanks! Now, what do you think of using this Y-cable? Will it allow us to instal one leg back into the factory holder? And for those that debate Scangauge vs Ultragauge... you can run both and geek out!
I saw that cable yesterday as well and wondering the same thing. I have no ideas how the protocol works but if it was like Ethernet to bad one of those ends was a passive just to read it would make it doublely awesome.

Does one of the smarter members know how the protocol works? Ie could we break the send wire to make the one leg of this passive?

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
It's a pity none of these options will work with a right drive vehicle.
My Scangauge is mounted just to the right of the steering wheel but the cable is stretched to its limit.

I'll have to look at making a longer cable to give a little flexibility.

sailquik

Not so sure that "unclipping/removing the mounting screws" from the OEM installation of
the OBD-II port is such a good idea.
When you take your Sprinter to a MB Sprinter dealer, they like to hook up the MB SDS
diagnostic computer to reset the mileage at oil/filter services.
If the connector is just "floating around" with your ScanGauge II connected to it, they
stand a strong chance of damaging the factory wiring when they try to remove the
SGII connector in order to attach their MB SDS.
If the connector breaks or the wiring is damaged while the dealer tries to remove your "unauthorized" external device (SGII) then they can charge your for any repairs.
I ALWAYS remove the SGII connector from the factory OEM OBD-II connector before going in
for service so if they have an issue, it's their problem as the OBD-II connector was standing
open for them to use and mounted in it's original OEM configuration.
Somehwere on the Sprinter forums there was a warning from someone about this.
Their dealer refused to remove the offending (NOT OEM) SGII plug and told the owner/driver that the SGII could cause damage/strange DTCs/etc and recommended that he not use it at
all.
We had a discussion on "what is the potential for damage to a Sprinter by use of the SGII", but we did not arrive at a definitive answer.
I feel I need the ScanGaugeII to drive my Sprinter to it''s fullest potential, Mercedes Benz would rather I just drive it and let the onboard computers make all the decisions.
Since I don't think the fuel map and shift points are really correct, I'll take the chance that
they may try to dis allow some warranty work down the road due to use of the SGII.
I've suggested to Claus Tritt (CEO of MB Vans USA LLC) that MB needs to add something like
a ScanGauge II to the Sprinter to allow owners to maximize their fuel mileage and avoid driving their Sprinters in ways that have the potential to damage the engine/transmission/
emissions control devices, but that suggestion fell on deaf ears.
Be nice if they added an option for a fully MB designed and tested ScanGauge II type device (or a set of lights telling the %LOD/Boost level at least) for NAFTA Sprinters.
Roger

Last edited:

mofo989

Sailquik, my idea of using the Y-connector was to prevent the situation you described. If you can leave one leg of the Y-connector in the Factory connector holder then everything is intact for the MB dealer. You can then easily disconnect the SGII at the RJ connector and there will be no electrical difference for the dealer to complain about.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
I jut installed the Scangauge by removing the ODB connector as shown in earlier posts. The installation is great and I can reverse it in less than 10 minutes before I take it into the dealer for any reason, so I am not worried about the concerns posted earlier. I want to thank all the earlier posts that showed me the way... Al

WPJ

Hummm maybe just me but if the dealer did something to damage anything on my vehicle they would be paying for it weather I have something not factory plugged in or not. If they are working in it they are liable for what they do. If they don't like that they can ask me to unhook it before they work on it. To me that's just plain sense.

sailquik

Guys,
I totally agree that if they unplug something and damage the wiring or the OBD-II receptacle it should be their (the dealers technician) responsibility to repair it back to original.
But, since I have had more than on "go-round" with MB Sprinter USA Compliance Engineering (who seem to have the ultimate decision as to whether a problem is repaired under warranty
or not) through reputable dealers, I strongly urge you to keep your ScanGaugeII out of the warranty mix whenever and where ever possible.
When the dealer has to replace the OBD-II wiring or receptacle because they could not get your aftermarket gauge system plug out of the receptacle because you have removed the mounting screws for the receptacle, MB USA Engineering is going to say that this is not a warrantable repair because you modified the vehicle by putting something other that the
MB SDS System computer hardware plug in that socket.
Some dealers see alot of ScanGauge IIs/Ultragauge EMs/DashDAQs and seem to have no problems with unplugging them and doing what they need to do.
Other dealers are looking for an excuse to charge the customer, and if the technician has to go get tools and work very cautiously to get your plug out of the OBD-II socket, the
unauthorized modification clause can easily be applied .....and, you might lose this in court.
Either my DashDAQ or the UltraGauge EM has a plug that's super tight in the Sprinter OBD-II
socket and you have to be very careful inserting or removing the plug to keep from breaking the socket or bending the pins.
As for a permanently attached "Y" cable......I find it hard to believe that any authorized MB Sprinter dealer would ever plug their coveted MB SDS system connector into one side of a Y cable.
They will for sure unplug the Y cable and use the OEM socket.
Remember, the main reason there is an OEM OBD-II socket installed is so that authorized dealers can diagnose and make authorized warranty repairs and as a port for emissions systems device testing.
It was never intended for unauthorized DIY mechanics to hook up performance monitoring gauge packages.
Roger

Last edited:

WPJ

Guys,
I totally agree that if they unplug something and damage the wiring or the OBD-II receptacle it should be their (the dealers technician) responsibility to repair it back to original.
But, since I have had more than on "go-round" with MB Sprinter USA Compliance Engineering (who seem to have the ultimate decision as to whether a problem is repaired under warranty
or not) through reputable dealers, I strongly urge you to keep your ScanGaugeII out of the warranty mix whenever and where ever possible.
When the dealer has to replace the OBD-II wiring or receptacle because they could not get your aftermarket gauge system plug out of the receptacle because you have removed the mounting screws for the receptacle, MB USA Engineering is going to say that this is not a warrantable repair because you modified the vehicle by putting something other that the
MB SDS System computer hardware plug in that socket.
Some dealers see alot of ScanGauge IIs/Ultragauge EMs/DashDAQs and seem to have no problems with unplugging them and doing what they need to do.
Other dealers are looking for an excuse to charge the customer, and if the technician has to go get tools and work very cautiously to get your plug out of the OBD-II socket, the
unauthorized modification clause can easily be applied .....and, you might lose this in court.
Either my DashDAQ or the UltraGauge EM has a plug that's super tight in the Sprinter OBD-II
socket and you have to be very careful inserting or removing the plug to keep from breaking the socket or bending the pins.
As for a permanently attached "Y" cable......I find it hard to believe that any authorized MB Sprinter dealer would ever plug their coveted MB SDS system connector into one side of a Y cable.
They will for sure unplug the Y cable and use the OEM socket.
Remember, the main reason there is an OEM OBD-II socket installed is so that authorized dealers can diagnose and make authorized warranty repairs and as a port for emissions systems device testing.
It was never intended for unauthorized DIY mechanics to hook up performance monitoring gauge packages.
Roger
Roger I would agree with you if you modified the plus ie pulled it out maybe. But the port is there to allow you to self diagnos and or have a non dealer work on the vehical was there not law passed about this years ago?

They can't complain that you have a non Mercedes device plugged into the port, I have not seen anything in the warrenty about this have you?

There is one thing if you have done something which caused damage to the vehical but there is a liability issue of there tech breaking something which is different than a warrenty issue. Really it should not be covered under warrenty but under the dealer liability/insurance. Your right the dealer maybe a dick in that case sue there ass and use a different dealer isn't that the American way?
Maybe it's just me because with in a hour and a half drive I have probably about 15 Mercedes dealers which service sprinters.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Guys,
Roger
In California, all Smog tests use this ODB plug to do their smog testing, so these plugs are used for other than warranty repairs... Al

Roger
As much as M-B might like to agree with this, the fact is that the OBD II port physical connection, protocol and a minimum set of DTC's was standardized by the SAE and CARB and then mandated by the US in 1996 for all cars sold in the US. It variously described as giving "the vehicle owner or a repair technician access to state of health information for various vehicle sub-systems".

While M-B may rightly deny warranty in the event something the owner connected to the port damages connected systems or may opt to not service a vehicle where the port has been modified to where it cannot be accessed, it is not THEIR port.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
When speaking of splicing or "Y-cabling" against the OBD port, consider the relationship between that port and the electronic modules with which it communicates directly and indirectly.

Here's a logical location of the port, direct connection to the EISCGW.

Capture.JPG

What the EISCGW "sees"
eiscgw-0.JPG
eiscgw-1.JPG

When you reprogram the van to accept a new key, or set of keys, you interface with the EISCGW.

eiscgw-2.JPG

... so when you talk about wiring things in this area, you should really be very confident that you understand the vehicle network and the wiring characteristics. It seems to me - and I'm not that bright, I know - that messing with this could have some really dire consequences.... but then again, like I said, I don't know anything about electronics; just computers and networks.

-Jon

PS: the rest of "Misc Functions under the EISCGW"
eiscgw-3.JPG

PPS: do anything to blind, deafen or confuse the EISCGW and yes, I suspect - don't know, just suspect - you'll brick your van.

Last edited:

Top Bottom