Webasto or Espar Air heater under passenger seat in 2011 Passenger Van?

duker992

Has anyone installed one of these heaters under the passenger seat in a passenger van model? I have seen the threads for non-passenger models (which I believe do not have the built in toe kick for second row passengers) and it seems to work well.

Basically it seems like the unit would have to be lifted higher off of the floor (about 6-8 inches) to fit. This would require longer exhaust pipes/etc. and might make it very difficult.

I am trying to find a place to hide the heater for dry camping in colder weather and do not have any cabinets to hide it in. Any advice is welcome.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I would seriously consider placing the unit beyond the passenger seat, that is... in the 'cargo' region. Most folks that installed in the front seat compartment, have issue with circulation and temperature balancing. That is... too cold in one area, too hot in another...cause you can't duct very well.

Mine is just aft of the sliding door. It blows towards the front, but I have a duct running to the cold region in front of the rear doors. Temperature difference between the front and back is minimal, as I have a current flowing all around the van.

d_bertko

I appreciate your desire to leave the passenger area uncompromised.

My d2 is installed amidships on the driver's side of my 02 158" diy. We use a rear bed layout and that middle placement is very good to avoid any ducting. I gave the installer carte blanche for ease of installation and really like the short lines to the tank and exhaust.

Other folks have experienced a need to service their heaters---I haven't in 7 years of use---so I also planned for ease of access. Mine has a simple low ply box around it. "Footrest" comes to mind for your case. Less than a full footrest is large enough!

Dan

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
You might consider installing the unit under the van in an enclosure. If I build another conversion I would explore that option. Put a intake air vent in the slider door step vertical wall behind passenger seat. Locate heater between step and "frame" rail and discharge warm air up through a hole in floor in the rear.

Boater

I believe Eberspacher do exhaust and combustion air inlet extension pipes if that is your only problem.

Mine is a cargo van and the heater (D2) is under the built in bench seat with a short outlet through the base of the seat, however you can if desired extend the outlet pipe and even branch to several outlets if directing the heat from where you can fit the heater to where you need the heat is a problem. Be aware, a lot of what I have read suggests that most people find the last on a system outlets don't blow as hot so stick to the minimum you really need. Make sure where you place the heater has good ventilation to the rear of the heater for cool cabin air to enter to be warmed up.

As I understand it Webasto have parts to enable just as many options as eberspacher so everything above probably can go for either.

duker992

Thanks for all of the advice and good ideas!

After some thought and recommendation by Graphite Dave, I may pursue an externally mounted air heater unit.

I guess protecting it from the weather/dirt/mag chloride would be a challenge.....

Does anybody have information on this concept or know of any installs?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

After some thought and recommendation by Graphite Dave, I may pursue an externally mounted air heater unit.

I guess protecting it from the weather/dirt/mag chloride would be a challenge.....

As far as an espar airtronic goes, It will need to be mounted with access to the top of the unit, for annual maintenance and repairs. This will prove difficult under carriage for a van.

The ducts will require insulation, and with the hot air output side being fire rated, if exposed to the exterior if one wants to maintain efficiency. This could be achieved if all ducting is within the same enclosure as the unit.

d_bertko

I also like Graphite Dave's idea but only if you can't spare the 1/2 cu ft an inside mount would use.

Some years back I stopped at a sprinter net guy named Ziggy's in NJ and he had welded metal boxes on the underside cavities beyond his wheelwells. He had beautiful Lexan lids in the van floor above them and that is where he installed some 600 ah of agms. So a service access panel is possible from the top if necessary.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
You might consider installing the unit under the van in an enclosure. If I build another conversion I would explore that option. Put a intake air vent in the slider door step vertical wall behind passenger seat. Locate heater between step and "frame" rail and discharge warm air up through a hole in floor in the rear.
Good idea for the return-air installation. My plan is to install the Webasto Dual Top which is designed for the outside mount http://www.webasto-outdoors.com/heating/dual-top.html .
George.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Assuming the heater will fit in the space, it should not be rocket science to design an enclosure that would make it easy to remove the heater for service. My Espar water heater is over 3 years old and has yet to require service. I do run it once a month as recommended in the owners manual. How often do you need to service the air heater?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Assuming the heater will fit in the space, it should not be rocket science to design an enclosure that would make it easy to remove the heater for service. My Espar water heater is over 3 years old and has yet to require service. I do run it once a month as recommended in the owners manual. How often do you need to service the air heater?
My D4 Airtronic, which is not a hydronic as the OP is referring to the former, requires annual servicing. This entails opening and operating the unit, which would become difficult if one has to disassemble it for access or remove components.

Last edited:

waytogo

I'm planning to install a Webasto or an Espar air heater in the back my 2008 144 Cargo Van. I sleep in it a lot. Can someone tell me what is involved in installing the required fuel pickup device in the fuel tank? Thanks!

Top Bottom