engine light

Phil Fravel

Please forgive me if i am posting this in the wrong place. I'm new to the board and a new sprinter owner. I bought a used 2008 with 50,000 miles on it 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love working out of it. This morning when I started it up the yellow engine warning light came on.

To say the least I'm a bit worried. I now make my living out of this vehicle and I hope I'm not in to many lengthy /costly and timely repairs.

Any advise on this warning light would be helpfully:frown:

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

As long as your Sprinter is running properly don't panic yet. If you bought the vehicle from a dealer make certain you call, tell them the light is on and make an appointment becasue you probably have some sort of warranty. Here's a link to some comments I made a while ago about the Check Engine Light. Good luck. vic

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50169#post50169

Please forgive me if i am posting this in the wrong place. I'm new to the board and a new sprinter owner. I bought a used 2008 with 50,000 miles on it 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love working out of it. This morning when I started it up the yellow engine warning light came on.

To say the least I'm a bit worried. I now make my living out of this vehicle and I hope I'm not in to many lengthy /costly and timely repairs.

Any advise on this warning light would be helpfully:frown:

sailquik

Hi Phil,
Welcome to the Sprinter Forum.
OK, you have a yellow light.
What shape is the light?
Do you have the Operators Manual for this 2008? (It should be in a clear poly bag with
a snap and stored in the glove box.)
The Operators Manual will show you where each of the warning lights is in the dash, and what each of them means.
Depending on what shape (or which of the many warning lights it is, it could be something
very simple, or perhaps something more important that needs immediate attention.
If it's a light shaped like an engine, it means something in the engine needs attention.
Best to take it to a Dodge Sprinter dealer or an Authorized Mercedes Sprinter Dealer and
have them run the diagnostics.
Could be you need oil, more coolant, more windshield fluid or many other things.
Could be the fuel filter is beginning to clog.
When they run the diagnostics, they will get some codes and see what other codes are
stored in the main computer.
This will tell the technicians what is most likely wrong that has set the light.
It does not sound like you are in Limp Home Mode (LHM) so chances are good it's not anything that will damage your engine immediately.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Phil Fravel

wow thanks for the quick replies. I bought it off a private sale.

No other lights accompanied the engine light. Thanks for easing my fears. The engin still sound and feels like it is running fine.

It looks like I will have to find a mechanic I'm my area. I have had a great private local mechanic for my gas powered cars for years. Hopefully I will be as lucky finding a good diesel mechanic.

Is this a common problem, and any idea on cost?

Phil Fravel

Well I have driven on it now for over 500 miles and it has not gone into limp mode so I am feeling good about that. Can anybody recommend a good sprinter mechanic in the Tacoma/Puyallup area of Washington state

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Kollmar Craft in Seatac Wa, or Mercedes Benz of Tacoma will have the equipment to check it out, and some will suggest staying away from M-Benz, if you care about your money.

Can you describe or post a photo of the light?
;

Last edited:
D

detore344

Kollmar Craft in Seatac Wa, or Mercedes Benz of Tacoma will have the equipment to check it out, and some will suggest staying away from M-Benz, if you care about your money.

Can you describe or post a photo of the light?
;
We would definitely be happy to look at your Sprinter. A solid engine light can be many things. Some aren't as important as others, but in some cases, neglecting it can cause a domino effect. As long as it isn't blinking, you are safe to drive it, but get it looked at when you can.

Bruce
Service Manager at Kollmar.

...As long as it isn't blinking, you are safe to drive it, ...
Bruce
Service Manager at Kollmar.
This is the first time that I have ever heard a reference to a blinking MIL Malfunction Indicator Light (aka CEL Check Engine Light) on a North American diesel Sprinter. I know that some manufacturers use the blinking light as an increased severity warning. I didn't know that MB ever included any blinking icon option for their Sprinter diesel engines. :idunno:

Is your comment based upon actual MB Sprinter experience? I'm always looking to expand my knowledge. vic

IslandGuy

This is the first time that I have ever heard a reference to a blinking MIL Malfunction Indicator Light (aka CEL Check Engine Light) on a North American diesel Sprinter. I know that some manufacturers use the blinking light as an increased severity warning. I didn't know that MB ever included any blinking icon option for their Sprinter diesel engines. :idunno:

Is your comment based upon actual MB Sprinter experience? I'm always looking to expand my knowledge. vic
On page 477 of my 2008 Sprinter owners manual under Problem:

The yellow engine diagnostic
indicator lamp lights up or
flashes while the engine is
running.

No Blink but it will Flash!

On page 477 of my 2008 Sprinter owners manual under Problem:

The yellow engine diagnostic
indicator lamp lights up or
flashes while the engine is
running.

No Blink but it will Flash!
Interesting feature... as long as you're not near a school yard.

Anyone know what conditions will cause blinking or flashing? Is it possible "flash" means come on for a short period and then go off? Sorta like the pre-start icon light test. (Edit: Or does "Flash" translate to "Lit" or "burn brightly" in German? "Torch" means different things to Brits and Yanks,) I can't recall even one post mentioning "My check engine light is blinking/flashing". Then again, my memory can flash off and on in a heartbeat. I guess I'm still fuzzy on this one. vic

Last edited:

johnshmit

:hmmm:Sprinter is not fully obd 2 compliant and flashing light aka random cylinder misfire or catastrophic catalytic converter failure is not implemented

Last edited:
D

detore344

You are correct, the diesels do not blink or flash. A gasoline engine was offered from 07 and on. I saw the initial post where it wasn't stated whether or not the Sprinter in question was diesel or gas. I did not read the thread thoroughly enough to see where it the owner mentioned it was a diesel, so I gave a general answer. Upon review of the thread, I'm a bit embarrased for missing it. Thank you for catching me. :doh:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
You are correct, the diesels do not blink or flash. A gasoline engine was offered from 07 and on. <snip>
For future reference, DaimlerChrysler only provided a gasoline M272 engine in 2007 & 2008 as an option for US/Canadian Sprinters.

This was not available in 2009 and MB didn't offer a gasoline version in this market for 2010 forward.

-Jon

IslandGuy

Interesting feature... as long as you're not near a school yard.

Anyone know what conditions will cause blinking or flashing? Is it possible "flash" means come on for a short period and then go off? Sorta like the pre-start icon light test. (Edit: Or does "Flash" translate to "Lit" or "burn brightly" in German? "Torch" means different things to Brits and Yanks,) I can't recall even one post mentioning "My check engine light is blinking/flashing". Then again, my memory can flash off and on in a heartbeat. I guess I'm still fuzzy on this one. vic
So is the owners manual wrong? Has anyone ever had a flashing CEL on the Sprinter? Anyone...bogus information?

So is the owners manual wrong? Has anyone ever had a flashing CEL on the Sprinter? Anyone...bogus information?
Not bogus, just a mistake by mentioning the flashing light for the Sprinter diesel question.

:hmmm:Sprinter [diesel] is not fully obd 2 compliant and flashing light aka random cylinder misfire or catastrophic catalytic converter failure is not implemented
(Edit: Or does "Flash" translate to "Lit" or "burn brightly" in German? "Torch" means different things to Brits and Yanks,) ...
I'm 99% certain that the MB operator manual intended "flash" to mean that the light turns on, not that it blinks because the cylinder misfire is not normally included with a diesel.

I believe if you go back and re-read the thread the progression will show itself. vic

My new 2013 Itasca Reyo T (2012 Sprinter 3500, 170") has 1,300 miles on it. I just put in 17 gal of diesel. Engine indicator went on and has been on even though I followed manual instructions to restart the engine several times. Also, at recommendation of MB customer service, I took the vehicle for a 30-min. drive. Then, at someone else's recommendation, I took the unit for a third 20 -min drive since filling up.

DEF tank is half full. Added some window washer fluid. Trying to get out of town in our new Itasca Reyo T.

Otherwise, love the Reyo/Sprinter.

Ideas?

Last edited:

showkey

DEF tank is half full. Added some window washer fluid. Trying to get out of town in our new Itasca Reyo T.

Otherwise, love the Reyo/Sprinter.

Ideas?
The way you wrote this: DEF tank half full ........added washer fluid ............hope these two are not related as added washer fluid to the DEF tank:shhh:

Top Bottom