Can NOT get out of Park?

CleanImage

So with my new box on my cab chassis, been finally driving around more

This morning start up, and it will not let me out of Park?

I searched could not find anything, although I thought I remember something similar

It did get down to 28 last night, even after 15 min warm up nothing

Even disconnect neg on battery and re hook up nothing

Also, side note, when attaching new body, noticed a 6-inch wire with a small block at the end coming from inside rear wheels. What is this?

Thanks, Carl

I can happen when it is cold. - Maybe the grease gets thick on the locking pin.

There is a clip on the cup holder for a BIC pen. I used mine from time to time.

It also happens when the fuse is blown. The same fuse carries the shift lock plunger, the brake lights and the cruise control. If the fuse is still good (seems like it is #5 under the steering column) It is just cold.

<override the "Park-lock" (a pen or pencil inserted through the little door just beneath the "D" on the shifter).>

CleanImage

OK, I just went out there and now it shifts.

Brake lights worked when it wouldnt shift

And this is 28-30 degree Florida temps for a couple hours

I even let it warm up for 20 minutes and it didn't shift

Has to be more that thick grease locking me out

Has to be something else going on

Cleanimage:

I think I am correct in saying this but, it maybe the plunger on the brake pedal micro switch that is sticking. If that stays stuck in while temps are a bit colder it won't shift out of park, it still thinks you haven't hit the brake. You may need to mess with that to get it lubed up. It's located at the top of the brake pedal area. Just a guess!

CleanImage

No gears this cold morning again, at least it's consistent

Yea, Im thinking your right, cause I don't here any switching noise even when I push in manually.

That's plastic, what should I do to free it up?

Carl

sailquik

Hi Clean Image,
What year Sprinter 3500 Cab/Chassis are you working on?
It could be that the wire with the block at the rear wheel is
the brake pad sensor, or it could be the ABS wheel speed
sensor.
If the wire and "block" are indeed either of these things, it
could be locking the shifter as the Sprinter expects there to
be a circuit at that wheel and you don't have one.
If you are working on a T1N, remember that the brake switch
works pretty much backwards because it's above the brake pedal
fulcrum point and in front of the brake arm.
It's spring loaded, so when you press the pedal it extends out to
close the circuit and show the electronics that the brakes have
been applied.
They do get out of adjustment pretty easy, and that can cause you
not to be able to get the van out of park.
Roger

CleanImage

Thanks everyone for helping me

2006 cab chassis, 16 rims, 155 wheel base

Just tried, first try no, 2nd try yes, I can get out of park

Couldnt hear and noise form the switch, and yes, the white rod does extend all the way

It's a white wire attaching to a adjustment screw and looks like from the other side, goes into the calipers

Although that wouldn't explain my above problems

Carl

jcweller1

05' 647 NAG1 2500 HT 158"
I have had to replace 2 brake light switches on my 2005 for this same problem.

A different but similar problem: does the display tell you the transmission is in park?
If not, I just had and intermittent problem with mine doing the same thing and it turned out to be the transmission relay.
Dr. A gave me some starting places to do some testing of circuits and I stumbled upon the relay by accident.
It is the blue relay under the drivers seat at the front of the pedestal. When the trans wouldn't go into gear, I flicked
the relay with my finger and away she went. I do have to mention though that the display wasn't telling me which gear the
transmission was in when my problems occurred. After messing with the relay the display would work. Replaced the 15.00 relay
and now all is OK.

Autophysn

Quick trick guys
If this happens to you. Try turning the ignition in the off position. Step on the brake first, then start. You have approximatly 5sec's to get out of park. :rad:

This fools the system into letting you shift. If you stop and put it in park again, you will have to shut down and do it again. :tongue:

Poor system, I know. Especially considering the switch is plastic. :crazy:But it will get you off the road and to a safe location in the meanwhile. Just remember, you do not have brake lights.
The brake switch usually snaps the metal contact intenally. Then it will need to be replaced.

I can not tell you how many times I had a vehicle come in on a tow truck, just for a brake light switch:bash:

CleanImage

Thanks for the tip

Ok, so that switch is brake lights and "get out of park free"

My brake lights work

I have had my sprinter in the garage, and the problem has not repeated itself sunce

So, only when its left in the cold?

Carl

the problem has not repeated itself since

So, only when its left in the cold?

Carl

It's a white wire attaching to a adjustment screw and looks like from the other side, goes into the calipers

Although that wouldn't explain my above problems

Carl

I wouldn't discount that as being a contributor off-hand. Sprinters can be touchy about anything (many things?) electrical. FWIW. vic
Coincidence??

Liandra

I am having this problem and my brake lights work. Tried the cheap trick and still would not come out of park. Does the brake switch have two circuts? Should I go ahead and replace the break light switch?

sailquik

Since it's summer, and hot pretty much everywhere in the USA, you may have to opposite
issue from the brake light switch sticking when very cold.
Have you tried adjusting the brake light switch?
The plastic actuator rod has a linear ratchet in it so pull it toward the back of the
van and it may come out a click or two.
If it comes out too far, the brake lights will never go off as the switch is always
"depressed" and the Sprinter electronics think the pedal is always pushed to activate
the brake lights. If you pull it out too far, simply push it back in a click or two until your
brake lights go out when the pedal is not depressed.
Should be a little clearance between the cam on the top front of the brake pedal and
the flat (tappet) surface on the back of the brake light switch adjusting rod.
If you try the adjustment first, might fix your problem.
If you have tried the small rod in the shifter release (this almost always works,
so don't understand why it hasn't released the interlock on your shifter) then
check the fuses.
If none of the above corrects the problem, THEN go buy a new OEM brake light
switch.
Roger

Liandra

I used a rod in the shifter to move it out of park. The tip about depressing the brake before starting and 5 sec to move out of park did not work on mine. I will try the switch adjustment and see if it works. Since the brake lights are working I was wondering if the brake switch has double contacts in it.

Liandra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick trick guys
If this happens to you. Try turning the ignition in the off position. Step on the brake first, then start. You have approximatly 5sec's to get out of park.

The tip about depressing the brake before starting and 5 sec to move out of park did not work on mine. I used a rod in the shifter to move it out of park. I will try the switch adjustment and see if it works. Since the brake lights are working I was wondering if the brake switch has double contacts in it.

mendonsy

I used a rod in the shifter to move it out of park. The tip about depressing the brake before starting and 5 sec to move out of park did not work on mine. I will try the switch adjustment and see if it works. Since the brake lights are working I was wondering if the brake switch has double contacts in it.
Yes, it does have two sets of contacts.

Top Bottom