Tranny Fluid dip stick

Sprinter2500

:idunno: can anyone direct me to where i can find directions/diagram or a DIY on how to make a tranny fluid dipstick? id rather make one then buy one. They are pretty pricy. Thanks

2008 Sprinter 2500 3.0 Turbo diesel V6

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
:idunno: can anyone direct me to where i can find directions/diagram or a DIY on how to make a tranny fluid dipstick? id rather make one then buy one. They are pretty pricy. Thanks

There's a shoulder on the tip which prevents the user from sticking the tool too far down into the pan, bending the tip and providing an incorrect transmission fluid level.

As Roger indicated, saving a few dozen dollars is negated by the potential for overfilling your 2008 automatic transmission. I believe there's no vent to spew out extra fluid in the event of an over-fill.

-Jon

Caution
Be certain that the plastic tip on any brand/type of dip stick is perfectly straight. If not straight it can get wedged into a small gap between the guide tube and plastic receiver.

Some info is here. Thanks goes to CharlesinGA. :thumbup:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=424362#post424362

This is what I made by cutting down a 10 ft long dryer vent brush I picked up at Harbor Freight for 2 bucks on closeout. A sewer snake will work as well. It needs to be flexible as there are a couple tight spots on the way down. Others have suggested a speedometer cable or a piece of uncoated garage door cable.

I made mine 48" long (excluding the handle). The end marks are cut by using a corner file. The fluid doesn't show as nicely in the spiral as it does on an offical plastic dipstick end, but it is readable. I get the engine up to about 180 degrees (official temp is supposed to be 176?) and use the top marks to check it hot. The end I show is corrected by the 13 mm which Doktor a suggested a DIY dipstick without ears bottoms out deeper. The mm scale is off a bit in the picture.

I recommend reading over the info and checking links highlighted here before deciding to build your own. Oh yes, be very careful when/if you add fluid. The range is close and only needs ounces of fluid to bring it up, not quarts. One of the closest ranges I've run into in a transmission.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=81345#post81345

Have fun. vic

DipStick.jpg

DipStickEnd.jpg

DipStickEnd2.jpg

P.S. - Were I to make another dipstick I would first cut a mark at 3" and then measure 10 mm (7/16"?) in each direction for the other two marks adjacent to it. As I always check my fluid at 180 degrees (HOT, in other words) there is no reason to worry about those other lower cold temperature marks. At least I have no use for them. We aren't measuring for something critical like an insulin dose. It's an oil sump. :idunno:

Last edited:

Sprinter2500

This is what I made by cutting down a 10 ft long dryer vent brush I picked up at Harbor Freight for 2 bucks on closeout. A sewer snake will work as well. It needs to be flexible as there are a couple tight spots on the way down. Others have suggested a speedometer cable or a piece of uncoated garage door cable.

I made mine 48" long (excluding the handle). The end marks are cut by using a corner file. The fluid doesn't show as nicely in the spiral as it does on an offical plastic dipstick end, but it is readable. I get the engine up to about 180 degrees (official temp is supposed to be 176?) and use the top marks to check it hot. The end I show is corrected by the 13 mm which Doktor a suggested a DIY dipstick without ears bottoms out deeper. The mm scale is off a bit in the picture.

I recommend reading over the info and checking links highlighted here before deciding to build your own. Oh yes, be very careful when/if you add fluid. The range is close and only needs ounces of fluid to bring it up, not quarts. One of the closest ranges I've run into in a transmission.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=81345#post81345

Have fun. vic

View attachment 36597

View attachment 36598

View attachment 36599

P.S. - Were I to make another dipstick I would first cut a mark at 3" and then measure 10 mm (7/16"?) in each direction for the other two marks adjacent to it. As I always check my fluid at 180 degrees (HOT, in other words) there is no reason to worry about those other lower cold temperature marks. At least I have no use for them. We aren't measuring for something critical like an insulin dose. It's an oil sump. :idunno:
thanks for the pics and detailed explanation. So if im understanding correctly, if the engine is running and "hot", then the reading on the dipstick should be at the 3" mark, correct?

Sprinter SS

Anyone know if a T1N tranny Dipstick is the same as a NCV3? I have one from my old van and have a 2012 on order.

thanks for the pics and detailed explanation. So if im understanding correctly, if the engine is running and "hot", then the reading on the dipstick should be at the 3" mark, correct?
My 2004 is at the 3" mark when running in neutral hot and I am happy. My transmission seems fine. So my opinion is yes. Have fun. vic

Anyone know if a T1N tranny Dipstick is the same as a NCV3? I have one from my old van and have a 2012 on order.
I have not seen any parts listings for the NAG1 dipstick which specify a model year when ordering. FWIW. vic

Last edited:

HappyFamilyVan

Captain Ahab
Just curious, if one lives relatively near a MB dealer or a Dodge dealer that services Sprinters, why not just swing by and have them check the tyranny fluid level. At least that is what I do with my local MB dealer...no charge and I get free coffee and cookies to boot... Note: I normally do this when I go in to buy my oil and filter for the change that I will do...their oil prices are cheaper than anywhere else...oil is usually sub $6 a quart.

As with ANY retail establishment…if not happy with the price, ask for a discount…they can only say no…that is what I did, and as a result I get a 20% discount on everything I buy there. I am a happy camper and every time I get a chance to extol their virtues I do …word of mouth advertising for them….everyone wins…

Top Bottom