Main Battery Disconnect.

icarus

After installing a positive off switch on the Aux battery, I was concerned with the small 24/7 current draw on the main battery. I often park for several weeks at a time in remote locations, away from the van. A simple solar panel is not an option where i park to over come the natural battery discharge, plus the parasitic current draw.

So I set up to install a similar switch on the negative cable of the main vehicle battery. After opening the battery box and tracing the wire, I discovered the negative cable mounts to the fire wall, just above the accelertor. The miracle however is that this cable simply clicks on the post with a thumb latch. Disconnecting the battery is so simple that it is silly! I'm sure that more experience wrenches already knew this, but for the uninitiated, it is a simple genius.

Of course, disconnecting the battery kills the radio memory, but, big deal! Not only that, but it makes a pretty good theft deterrent as well.

Icarus

kmessinger

The radio must be on some kind of timer. I disconnected the power with that plug to change the driver's steering wheel airbag cover. Had the power off for about 45 minutes but that did not reset the radio.

showkey

I think this main disconnect is suppose to used by the dealer and RV manufactures for long term storage to stop discharge.

icarus

The radio must be on some kind of timer. I disconnected the power with that plug to change the driver's steering wheel airbag cover. Had the power off for about 45 minutes but that did not reset the radio.
It will probably depend on the radio. Mine is an after market Sony.

Icarus

icarus

I think this main disconnect is suppose to used by the dealer and RV manufactures for long term storage to stop discharge.
Not to mention a very good, easy way to disconnect the battery neg when servicing the vehicle,as advised to do for so many procedures.

Icarus

Top Bottom