AEM warranty clarification

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
So the extended warranty includes 29 items, some of which are only covered for 6 months/6,000 miles like the EGR valve, NOX sensors etc, but many of the items on the list do not say anything about the length of the warranty. Am I to understand any part that is included on the attached list but does not specify the duration of the warranty to be warranted for 48 months/48,000 miles?emissions coverage.jpg

WinnieView1

In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of your Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, your authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will diagnose and replace the emissions-related components listed in this section, if necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Please keep this letter and deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner’s manual. This warranty extension covers the diagnosis and replacement of the emissions-related components listed in this section. Should you ever sell the vehicle, this warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners. This warranty extension will not cover: • Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified emissions related parts, including damage or malfunction to parts needed for proper diagnosis of a covered part. • Damage or malfunctions caused by or related to outside influence, such as damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect. All existing warranty provisions remain in effect. The extended emissions warranty includes parts and labor. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at https://BlueTecUpdate.mbvans.com.

Attachments

bigb

In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of your Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, your authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will diagnose and replace the emissions-related components listed in this section, if necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Please keep this letter and deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner’s manual. This warranty extension covers the diagnosis and replacement of the emissions-related components listed in this section. Should you ever sell the vehicle, this warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners. This warranty extension will not cover: • Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified emissions related parts, including damage or malfunction to parts needed for proper diagnosis of a covered part. • Damage or malfunctions caused by or related to outside influence, such as damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect. All existing warranty provisions remain in effect. The extended emissions warranty includes parts and labor. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at https://BlueTecUpdate.mbvans.com.
Yes that's exactly what I posted but does not answer my question. Look at the list of 29 items in that letter, which items are warranted for 48/48,000? Are the items that do not give the duration warranted for 48/48,000 and the rest warranted for the mentioned duration only?

WinnieView1

Yes that's exactly what I posted but does not answer my question. Look at the list of 29 items in that letter, which items are warranted for 48/48,000? Are the items that do not give the duration warranted for 48/48,000 and the rest warranted for the mentioned duration only?
That's what we've always thought since receiving the letter March 21 and why we decided to hold onto to ours until it's no longer covered since we've had the notorious DEF & CEL lights and Remaining Starts in the middle of the National Forest.

bigb

That's what we've always thought since receiving the letter March 21 and why we decided to hold onto to ours until it's no longer covered since we've had the notorious DEF & CEL lights and Remaining Starts in the middle of the National Forest.
Since having the AEM performed?

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
You need to read that AEM warranty a little closer. The basic "Extended Modification Warranty" covers all the parts you listed:

Extended Modification Warranty Coverage Once the emission modification has been installed in your vehicle, MBUSA will extend your warranty coverage for certain emissions-related components.

Warranty Period: The warranty period for the “Extended Modification Warranty” shall be the greater of: • 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first; OR • 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date on which the emission modification was performed, whichever occurs first.

Those parts with the parenthetical statement are ADITIONAL extended warranty items. For example, the DPF has the Extended Modification Warranty of 10 years/120,000 miles OR 4 years/48,000 miles; plus, additional 6 months and 6,000 miles. Thus, the DPF warranty on my 2012 Sprinter is the greater of: 10.5 years/126,000 miles or 4.5 years/54,000 miles.

If you go to the Mercedes-Benz Bluetec Update web site below and enter your VIN, you will get a link to another document that states the warranty clearer. I've attached a copy for your information.

VIN Lookup | Mercedes-Benz Bluetec Update (mbvans.com)

"The additional extended warranty is added to the applicable Extended Modification Warranty period"

Attachments

Last edited:

bigb

You need to read that AEM warranty a little closer. The basic "Extended Modification Warranty" covers all the parts you listed:

Extended Modification Warranty Coverage Once the emission modification has been installed in your vehicle, MBUSA will extend your warranty coverage for certain emissions-related components.

Warranty Period: The warranty period for the “Extended Modification Warranty” shall be the greater of: • 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first; OR • 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date on which the emission modification was performed, whichever occurs first.

Those parts with the parenthetical statement are ADITIONAL extended warranty items. For example, the DPF has the Extended Modification Warranty of 10 years/120,000 miles OR 4 years/48,000 miles; plus, additional 6 months and 6,000 miles. Thus, the DPF warranty on my 2012 Sprinter is the greater of: 10.5 years/126,000 miles or 4.5 years/54,000 miles.

If you go to the Mercedes-Benz Bluetec Update web site below and enter your VIN, you will get a link to another document that states the warranty clearer. I've attached a copy for your information.

VIN Lookup | Mercedes-Benz Bluetec Update (mbvans.com)

"The additional extended warranty is added to the applicable Extended Modification Warranty period"
That makes more sense, I even called the MB help line and the call audio was so poor I could hardly understand the guy. I asked him if the items with warranty durations stated in parenthesis meant that was the extent of the warranty for that item and from what I could hear I thought he confirmed that it was. I told him I could barely understand him, it sounded like a room full of people talking and there were periods of complete dropouts.

If they are going to cover expensive things like my DPF, turbo, EGR and intake/swirl valves and top end for 4 years or longer I may as well take it in this week.

bigb

She goes under the wrench next Tuesday morning at Sprinter of Tucson. gulp ?

Jackies Dog Grooming

2016 NCV3 144" 4 banger
I just posted yesterday about my 2016 2.1 issues, Limp-a-dee doo dah. I just saw this thread today. I do my own maintenance, but I'm going to take it in and let my MB dealer handle it.
Thanks for the helpful info, guys!

edit: It's getting dropped off today. I'll update when I hear back from MB.

Last edited:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
That makes more sense, . . .

. . . If they are going to cover expensive things like my DPF, turbo, EGR and intake/swirl valves and top end for 4 years or longer I may as well take it in this week.
I’ve already had my DPF and EGR valve replaced under the new warranty since getting the AEM done in 2021. My 2012 Sprinter now has over 160,000 miles. Goes in next week for a B service and other maintenance items.

ENMeyer

So I have an exhaust leak upstream of my DPF where it connects to the turbo. Any idea if this is covered under the AEM warranty? It's one-piece, so the only was to fix the flex tube is to replace the whole DPF.

WinnieView1

So I have an exhaust leak upstream of my DPF where it connects to the turbo. Any idea if this is covered under the AEM warranty? It's one-piece, so the only was to fix the flex tube is to replace the whole DPF.
Very likely and with a good Service Advisor it should be ;)
If not then some of the claim funds should cover it ;)

acehigh1

Weeks back I stopped at the Sprinter dealer and spoke with the Service Mgr. Described the typical EGR valve hiccuping that has increased post-AEM, when it never existed prior to the AEM. He asked me if I use any fuel additive, and I responded Diesel Kleen & Hot Shot Extreme and he said, "good, Diesel Kleen is fine". First time I ever heard a dealer acknowledging a fuel additive is "fine", but with the excessive EGR carbon buildup, it seems that a fuel additive is okay now? It obviously isn't doing much, or enough, as my EGR is acting as though it is sooted up, 15K miles post-AEM. He said that they have had several dozen vans return w/ similar issues post-AEM, and Mercedes has communicated to dealers that the EGR valve will not be covered under warranty, unless it is throwing a code that cannot be corrected, hence a defective EGR and not just dirty. No surprise there from MB. The mgr stated that they will clean them - at the owner's expense - and they have not replaced any yet - as all needed a good cleaning only. The first opening they had was Jan 10th anyways, so the long delays still exist, which is concerning if there was something really seriously wrong.

TASman26

I just bought a new to me 2011 170 crew with 176K miles. The AEM was already performed (7/14/22) so I couldn't compare the before or after AEM experience. I did take it right to the dealer to run full diagnostics so if anything did come up that could be associated with the extended warranty I could get it addressed right away. Honestly, without the 4/48 mos. extended warranty I don't think I would have bought the NCV3 with 176k miles. I have record that when the AEM was performed it included a Software Update, replaced the ECU, NOx Sensor and SCR-Catalyst.

Tom2301

I've had the AEM done on my 2014 MB Sprinter 3500 (Roadtrek RS), but now have codes for O2 sensor, air fuel ratio sensor, crank position sensor, fuel temp sensor and fuel (rail) pressure sensor. This fault code diagnosis from a non-dealer MB shop - the dealer did the AEM - and a recommendation that these (most, if not all) sensors "should" have been replaced by dealer as part of AEM. I don't see these specific sensors listed among the 29 mod items, but their connection to emissions is logical to me. A backstory to this is that I've been back to the dealer multiple times after the AEM with engine light on and most recently got a hand-wavy "don't worry about the light, its likely just the AEM mess. The light will go out after about 6 or 7 restarts." Well...this is why I'm not at the dealership - what's the point of the light if I'm supposed to ignore it?! Has anyone had a similar experience...with, maybe, a great outcome? Anyone know if these sensors are part of the AEM? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I just have my Sprinter at dealer for exhaust temp sensor code.
When I was scheduling the appointment, they "did not want to hear the code number" saying they have better computers to read it.
Now I've got call back that they replace big part on SCR system.
It is pretty common that each business will milk the warranty, so I am waiting for final statement showing me what they charge MB USA for.
Still Tom, your case qualify for calling national hotline and going to different shop, or consultation with regional representative.

WinnieView1

A backstory to this is that I've been back to the dealer multiple times after the AEM with engine light on and most recently got a hand-wavy "don't worry about the light, its likely just the AEM mess. The light will go out after about 6 or 7 restarts." Well...this is why I'm not at the dealership - what's the point of the light if I'm supposed to ignore it?! Has anyone had a similar experience...with, maybe, a great outcome? Anyone know if these sensors are part of the AEM? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Try another dealer, or share some of the settlement money with the non-dealer MB shop and have the sensors replaced.

Tom2301

I just have my Sprinter at dealer for exhaust temp sensor code.
When I was scheduling the appointment, they "did not want to hear the code number" saying they have better computers to read it.
Now I've got call back that they replace big part on SCR system.
It is pretty common that each business will milk the warranty, so I am waiting for final statement showing me what they charge MB USA for.
Still Tom, your case qualify for calling national hotline and going to different shop, or consultation with regional representative.
Thanks, Kajtek, that's a good idea. We'll see where that goes...

Top Bottom