1/2 Biodiesel fill up

Seth_coley

I recently just learned about this DO NOT fill up with bioddiesel thing.
A couple days ago. I filled up my T1- it was at a half a tank and I topped it off to a full tank via bio diesel. Is there anything I can do to make sure it continues to run smoothly?
 Do I need to drop the tank? Is there products anybody would recommend putting in the tank to neutralize it?
I’ve driven about 70 miles since the full up.

Sadly I don’t drive the van very often so it will probably take. At least for a month or two to go through this tank. 

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
Was it B-20 or B-100? Regardless just drive it. The biggest issue is putting in Biodiesel then letting it sit for months. Just use it up and refill with ULSD. If it's B-100 I would drive it off soon, if B-20 just go about your normal routine and buy ULSD next time, although don't park it too long with any Bio in it.. Driving it off is a lot easier and cheaper than draining even if you have to do some un-necessary driving.

Edit: Wait, is this the 1993 van in your other thread? If so I don't think you need to worry, the biggest issue with the older ones is compatibility with the older rubber fuel lines and pump seals, but that doesn't happen overnight.

Last edited:

jimwyrick

2020 4x4 144”
Both of these guys are right. Sometimes people get 76 brand renewable confused with biodiesel. 76 brand renewable is the best fuel I’ve ever run. It may only be available in California. I try to fill up with that, but I’ll put B20 in if I can’t find the good stuff

jimwyrick

2020 4x4 144”
Why is the 76 brand better?
I think they are the brand behind renewable diesel. It’s not the same thing as bio diesel. Bio is garbage, renewable is superior to normal diesel. There are many threads about it on this forum. I have a friend who runs his family’s Card Lock fuel station and he educated me about it. He has it at his station. It’s totally clear, and if you just burn it, the flame has no black smoke. I consistently get 570 miles between regens. I’ve heard that only 76 stations in CA have it, but I don’t know for sure. Search renewable diesel on this forum.

3Play

My T1N has had good experiences with occasional B-20, I think it probably cleans out the system a bit, but have not tried to prove it.
I only use it when road tripping, so it is for less than 500 miles and is gone in a day.....
Don't let it sit...
They intentionally did things to the fuel system to not play nice with WVO type fuels, I think the T1N could be set up to overcome this, but the newer ones would trash the DEF system immediately, there are also some other issues, but I can't remember them...
I have run 1/2 WVO and 1/2 Diesel in my OM617 with no issues, but the newer fuel and EGR systems wouldn't like it...

bigb

I have run 1/2 WVO and 1/2 Diesel in my OM617 with no issues, but the newer fuel and EGR systems wouldn't like it...
We ran B-100 in our OM603 for several years until the price went higher than diesel, all I had to do was replace the old rubber fuel lines. In the summer you could notice a bit less performance with the AC running.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you haven't used a biodiesel blend before, the dose you've just given it may cause decades of scum in your tank to come loose and try to clog the fuel filter.
As others have said: add non-bio fuel (reasonably) ASAP ... don't wait until your tank is below half full (or whatever your "time to buy fuel" trigger is).
Any gallons you can add *now* lowers the percentage of biodiesel you're running through the system.
("now" includes today, and tomorrow, and 2 days later, and...)

Consider getting a new fuel filter so you can have it on-hand if "clogging" symptoms develop.
(such as error codes about "too-low low pressure fuel readings")

--dick

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
I recently just learned about this DO NOT fill up with bioddiesel thing.
A couple days ago. I filled up my T1- it was at a half a tank and I topped it off to a full tank via bio diesel.
Please confirm whether you filled with bio-diesel or renewable diesel. It is a distinction with a difference.

If bio-diesel, particularly B-100, then continually fill up with ULSD when you get down to 3/4 tank or so and continue the practice until you have reduced the concentration of bio-diesel to a low level.

If renewable diesel, it is simply a synthetic product that will do no harm thus you need do nothing.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Being that the OP didn’t state what percentage or type of biodiesel he half filled the fuel tank with; it’s very likely wasn’t B-100, so the likely significance; it’s a nothing burger, and he can do his usual two month refill.

Yes if the vehicle is a virgin to Biodiesel (unlikely) the newly introduced biodiesel being a detergent will clean/dislodge scum from the fuel tank and it will go to the fuel filter.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Is there a state where you can buy B100 at gas station?
I have never seen it on west coast, even I am interested on Bio for couple of decades and run B100 in my diesels with older injection pumps. (loved the French fries smell). At the time B100 was available only directly from the distributors and sold mostly as heating fuel.
B20, common at present at Truck Stops, when it is not advised for MB common rail engines is perfectly good for common rails in Fords and I have been filling it up to my Ford, whenever I could (mostly in WA) as price was lower and I actually recorded better mpg, although that might be due to lower speeds on highways

Larry M

My understanding is that B100 (that is commercially formulated) is typically used to blend diesel to B5, B10 or B20 so my guess is he bought B20.

When we were in Minnesota, all on-road diesel was B20. I think it was the first time our 2005 saw B20 and we had no issues. B20 is mandated from April through September(?).

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is there a state where you can buy B100 at gas station?
Not a gas station, per se', but here in Seattle (15 years ago) there was a coffee shop that added a single "gas" pump ... and it was B100

biodiesel.jpg

I used to go there for the coffee, granitas, gelato and pastries ... not for the biodiesel.

--dick
p.s. it was an above-ground tank, perhaps 500 gallons if that.

bigb

I used to buy B100 at Arizona Petroleum, don't know if they still sell it though. Not really a gas station, you had to know about it and where they were located in an industrial area.

bored

Yes if the vehicle is a virgin to Biodiesel (unlikely) the newly introduced biodiesel being a detergent will clean/dislodge scum from the fuel tank and it will go to the fuel filter.
A bit off-topic. Would running b20 be a GOOD thing prior to a fuel filter change?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
A bit off-topic. Would running b20 be a GOOD thing prior to a fuel filter change?
That is tricky question. Common say is that bio is diluting dirt in fuel lines, cleaning them and as results clogging fuel fitters.
Years ago I bought about 400 gallons of 100% bio and run it in older MB as well as Ford powerstroke.
When HP drop was noticeable, the filter clog never happened.
B20 IMHO is too low % to make really noticeable differences on short run.

bored

Yeah thats what I just read...

....b-20 doesn't have the cleaning effect that b-100 does.

Top Bottom