Maximum Fuel Quantity

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
...without running out that is.

Yesterday due to a few additional unplanned trips and my stubborn desire to try and use familiar filling stations, I wound up pushing my luck on running the tank dry. Empty is a situation that I DO NOT want due to potential pump damage and well let's face it, this thing is heavy and I don't want to push:smilewink:.

When I fill, I generally FILL. Usually I get another gallon or so in there after the nozzle clicks. I do this for consistent fill levels for more accurate f/e numbers. Well I hit a 5 year high yesterday and she took a whopping 27.667 gallons (104.73 liters).

My trip OD read 624.2 so I managed 22.56 mpg (about 10.42 liters/100km) a number I'm happy with considering the weight carried, a/c usage, & the mixed driving.(how's that NCV3 owners:smirk:)

Has anyone topped this fill quantity or filled to the top after running out? I'm curious how close I actually was to walking:rolleyes:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Never have gotten that much in and I always stop when the automatic pump shuts off the flow. On a recent very long trip we were down to one gallon or less in the tank three separate times. Sometimes when you're going places you haven't been you just need to fill up at a station when you're half full because you may not find another oppotunity for a while.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
You either...

1. Got ripped off at the pump. :smilewink:
2. Got oversized tires. :smirk:
3. Just woke up from a dream. :snore:

:laughing:

I only let the light come on if I'm in town. And when I fill it, the best (I know, not good enough :tongue:) I've done is 24 gallons.

If I'm out traveling on the road again I never let it go past a quarter tank. When it hits the half way mark I start looking. My van is lighter than yours, but I still don't want to push. :bounce:

shugrue

I'm not sure from your post whether you ran out of fuel or was close to running out of fuel. Which is it?

BULBASOR

I wish there was a way to know exactly how many gallons are left in the tank! Is there any way to know such qa thing? It's a big plastic tank, and I know there are exterior sensors you can buy for grey water tanks on motorhomes. You think they would work on the Sprinter Diedel tank?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I have no clue as to the US sprinters
Ours have bladders for impact resistance built into them the last is the resurve fuel about 5 litres the lines hold a litre, the fuel filters and what nots hold some to plus the fuel rails, if there is 26 gallons to a tank add a few extra for all the other bits, amount unknown:idunno: I have seen some funny posts quoating much higher gallons to fill up! with as many comments as to OH yeah where did that lot go???
Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I have no clue as to the US sprinters
Ours have bladders for impact resistance built into them the last is the resurve fuel about 5 litres the lines hold a litre, the fuel filters and what nots hold some to plus the fuel rails, if there is 26 gallons to a tank add a few extra for all the other bits, amount unknown:idunno: I have seen some funny posts quoating much higher gallons to fill up! with as many comments as to OH yeah where did that lot go???
Richard
I wonder how much "slop" is in the average fuel pump meter across the population of North American fuel pumps... I've never trusted them to be 100% accurate, but that's just a gut-feeling. My father worked in gas stations (as an employee, not an owner) from the 50s until early 70s.

I asked him how often the pump was recalibrated back then. His answer, "Huh?"

I wonder how often its done today....

-Jon

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Jon
Good point in Australia pumps are regularly tested and have a government seal on them not to be removed for testing unless authorized :smilewink:[A] the accuracy of the actual measuring calibration at the pump and terminal main frame registers, weights and measures, of the fuel.
It can vary due to expansion of fuel at temperature.
In the morning cool thier is more liquid volume, in the heat of an afternoon the fuel expands , so you get a little less, but to an average tank of 26 gallons it amounts to very little fuel weight, in liquid volume loss. due to contraction or expansion of the fuel Gas is more active than Diesel ! Don't know why? something to do with Hydro carbons.?
Richard

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It can vary due to expansion of fuel at temperature.
Richard
Temperature! I wish I'd understood more in my earlier years of education....

Taken from:

http://www.thecybertruckstop.com/DS/diesel-fuel-temp.html

As we know, diesel fuel expands and contracts depending on temperature. At the 60 degree, 231-cubic-inch, standard a gallon of diesel fuel contains a specific amount of energy. At 90 degrees, however, the same amount of diesel fuel expands to more than 235 cubic inches; but truckers still receive the standard 231 cubic inches at the pump.

231 / 235 == 2% drift in 30 degrees F....

I'm too tired to think much more about it and draw any firmly logical conclusions. Actually, I'm too tired to tell if my math is even correct.

-Jon

PS: Found this too.... http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=62955

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Don't worry about it, I remember the Old fords that had three calibrations for elevation to deliver fuel via the venturi:thinking:
There has been many a night when i went mountain racing with ram air induction the colder the air the more the fuel went doen that carb,
The new Sprinters have sesors to deliver the right amount of fuel required via the trans senors back into the comand ECU which sends the message to the electronic high pressure fuel pump, to send more or less fuel. Go and get some sleep Buddy.
Richard
PS count sprinters if you can't wait for your sprinter:bounce: It doesn't help but add a different color to each Sprinter that will wear you're active mind down to sleep mode, I'll send a secrete message to awaken you, when it arrives.:lol:
Richard
100036206c1211_08.jpg

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I wonder how much "slop" is in the average fuel pump meter across the population of North American fuel pumps... I've never trusted them to be 100% accurate, but that's just a gut-feeling.
I wonder how often its done today....
-Jon
The testing is at the whim of each state and sometimes, each county. In California there's a sticker the tester puts on the pump and certain of the innards are wired. The tester can probably be influenced except that some places have tester routes interchangeable.

Like you say, all you can do is wonder. I worked in a gas station in the 50s and I know the tester showed up there from time to time.

shugrue

One thing I noticed for sure is that after I fill my tank in the USA till the pump nozzle stops automatically; I go 200 miles by the time the fuel gauge reads 3/4ths. That's 75% full. It takes 8 gallons of diesel to fill up from there every time. That's also approximately 24-25 mpg.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I'm not sure from your post whether you ran out of fuel or was close to running out of fuel. Which is it?
I did not run out, luckily!

My best was 28.26 gallons:tongue:
:cheers:You hold the title then:thumbup: I hope not to top it!

.....It can vary due to expansion of fuel at temperature.
In the morning cool thier is more liquid volume, in the heat of an afternoon the fuel expands , so you get a little less.....
The talk of temperature as it relates to fuel expansion and delivered quantity accuracy. It is irrelevant due to the fuel being stored in underground tanks where the temperature is constant, no?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
It's not consistent depends on the tank design and age the known given fact is the dynamics of fuel can change
It has a bearing small as it is. but that's life in an every expanding fuel thread:smilewink: Think of Liquid volume in a half empty tank contained in a volatile inert atmosphere! Mass cubic weight by Liquid volume.. the mathematics of conversion from weight to quantum physics less than a 50/50 chance of it remaining stable, and the change occurs the larger the mass volume the greater or less the expansion will occur during the course of a 24 hour period as the mass liquid volume decrease by volume sales the Liquid mass expands influenced by pressure from liquid gas You'd have to ask that one when I'm half asleep doing book work:popcorn:
Richard

Top Bottom