Van overheating uphills

Status
Not open for further replies.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Your lack of experience doesn't apply here neither.
I operate in triple digits temperature on daily basis.
120 to 130F parking lots in summer are quite common.
Last overheating problem I had was over 20 years ago.
Try it with a leaky head gasket, so that the water pump sucks air.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Sorry, wrong one more time. In my T1N motorhome (not towing) pulling a long grade like I80 Sacramento to Donner Summit (55 miles) on a warm to hot day will have the viscous fan run 90-100% of the time, holding the temperature between 205F and 215F. Its run just like that for 16 years, no problems. That’s the design parameter for a T1N.
So you climb 9000' on 55 miles drive in heavy motorhome and you claim this is average usage for Sprinters? I bet you have heavy traffic?
Is your fan also spinning going downhill?
MAN

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Again, you have no experience with this vehicle, and hundreds of reports, with some of them having replaced entire cooling systems or owned their vans from new, contradict you (to be fair you have contradicted yourself several times in this thread alone). But keep fighting the good fight!
Assuming what you are saying is the truth, have those owners replacing cooling systems done any testing and troubleshooting?
I see common advise in this section of dropping parts without troubleshooting, so did they follow what other members say here?

GaryJ

Here since 2006
So you climb 9000' on 55 miles drive in heavy motorhome and you claim this is average usage for Sprinters? I bet you have heavy traffic?
Is your fan also spinning going downhill?
MAN
Just keep making up your own next scenario. That way you an always have an answer. You’re pushing the definition of “troll” on this site. I’m done with you.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Just keep making up your own next scenario. That way you an always have an answer. You’re pushing the definition of “troll” on this site. I’m done with you.
And what exactly did I make up?
Are you saying that Donner Pass is not reaching 9000 feet?
Not disclosing crucial information about your situation looks like cheating?

Last edited:

LowBudgetT1N

For what it’s worth, I drove a diesel moving truck from Virginia to Florida the other day. It had a Cummins engine rated torque of 444 ft-lbs, don’t remember the hp rating maybe 250 or so. Viscous fan acted just like my sprinter rv. Truck was much newer than the sprinter.

When covering miles it’s important to watch temperature gage but also listen for fan lockup then watch temperature gage drop again. The cab is loud, sometimes I even wear my shooting ear plugs but it’s still noticeable when vicious fan lockup occurs. This should be part of your routine as an “operator” of T1N sprinters. If you’re like my wife and want to blast the tunes and sing carelessly while driving down the road then find a different vehicle.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
Last overheating problem I had was over 20 years ago.
Ever own a T1N?
(even I was doing extreme driving with no fan in diesel sedan)
I was missing your sedan references, I think of it as a drinking game and I was thirsty!
So you climb 9000' on 55 miles drive in heavy motorhome and you claim this is average usage for Sprinters?
My trips start and finish at 7000’, two climbs if coming home from Phoenix in my heavy motor home, towing 1/2 the time. Ski hills in both the summer and winter at 9000’ or so in my sprinter so yes, average usage for me!
I’m sure you will correct me/us in 3….. 2….. 1….. ???

let me tell you how to take care of and maintain your ? because I have never had one, sounds reasonable, right?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I think we may be doing this wrong. Kajtek only learns empirically. So we should convince him to remove the fan from his newer sprinter(s) so he can demonstrate how the fan is completely unnecessary to normal operation. That is a thread I would follow.
I might just do that to show you boneheads. Next week we plan Sonoma, AZ with high elevations.
This thread shows how narrow sighted some members are. They don't want to do any troubleshooting, just post their (religious) believes.
Climbing high elevations with heavy motorhome, sometimes towing and they force this experience to average van user.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I might just do that to show you boneheads. Next week we plan Sonoma, AZ with high elevations.
This thread shows how narrow sighted some members are. They don't want to do any troubleshooting, just post their (religious) believes.
Climbing high elevations with heavy motorhome, sometimes towing and they force this experience to average van user.
Just a data point, but at least with my van (Which weighs 8500lbs) the fan isn't too much of an issue, as long as I can maintain 50-55mph. But any slower than that, and it goes over 220 on any hill, in 90 degree weather. And I have had the experience of having a tail wind send average temps up a bit, because the fan is then the ONLY source of cooling.
But come on. Give us a demonstration of how MB has extra stuff you don't need. We will wait.
Like some others, I live above 7000' elevation. So uphill/downhill is a daily fact of life.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Just a data point, but at least with my van (Which weighs 8500lbs) the fan isn't too much of an issue, as long as I can maintain 50-55mph.
That finally is a reply who make sense, however some bonehead will come over and tell you that it doesn't apply to T1N as you list 2018 model.
My extended dually Sprinter weights 8500 lb as well BTW.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The concept of other cooling system issues being masked by the fan is also flawed. The fan clutch relies on the air leaving the radiator to activate the bimetallic strip, which locks the clutch. If a water pump, clogged radiator, or low coolant event occurs, the air leaving the radiator may never reach the critical temperature required to active the clutch.

So when someone solves their problems by replacing the fan clutch, their aren't hiding some Kajtek World™ cooling system issue.

I also reject the idea that using the van/RV as intended is extreme or unusual. Though in Kajtek World™ any usage that is different his, is unusual? It may be easier to just admit to a hasty post or mistake?

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
That finally is a reply who make sense, however some bonehead will come over and tell you that it doesn't apply to T1N as you list 2018 model.
My extended dually Sprinter weights 8500 lb as well BTW.
My point is, that is the situation that we are discussing. When a van is working hard going up a hill, which lowers speed, it also is when the fan is most needed. And the newer fans (As installed in my van) are set up for a higher working temperature range. So less headroom for when things get tough.

glasseye

This thread shows how narrow sighted some members are.
By all means, please do this experiment. Empirical knowledge would benefit the forum immensely.

I suggest I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff as a test route. Mid to late afternoon would be good.

Kingman-Flagstaff via I-40 really isn't nearly as good a test. Nearly 3000 ft less elevation difference over a much longer distance.

Also, please give us a trip report to Sonoma, AZ. Few of us have been there.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
By all means, please do this experiment. Empirical knowledge would benefit the forum immensely.

I suggest I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff as a test route. Mid to late afternoon would be good.

Kingman-Flagstaff via I-40 really isn't nearly as good a test. Nearly 3000 ft less elevation difference over a much longer distance.

Also, please give us a trip report to Sonoma, AZ. Few of us have been there.
My trip home from Albuquerque requires going up 2000' in less than 20 miles. So I give my cooling system(s) a test every time I come home from points West. The approach from the East has a steep part, for the last few miles, but not nearly the test that the other direction gives.

LowBudgetT1N

To test the cooling system I suggest you try 14 Alt out of Cody, Wyoming over the bighorns. That’s a fun drive in an RV at gvwr.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
But come on. Give us a demonstration of how MB has extra stuff you don't need. We will wait.
Like some others, I live above 7000' elevation. So uphill/downhill is a daily fact of life.
Here it goes.
Just to make it clear, for those who did not read it all.
Mine is 2015 Sprinter with 6-cylinder engine rated at 200 HP. Single fan, who has electric clutch and 5G transmission.
ScanGauge shows engine LOaD as % of HP engine delivers at given rpm. Not perfect for testing, but gives something to compare.
So here is cruising @65 mph, 92F, where flat freeway put 73% load on the engine. Coolant temperature 99C20220519_144906.jpg

This is cruising @80 mph, 100F, what gave 67% load and 105C coolant. Evidently higher speeds gives better cooling

20220519_150611.jpg

This is hill climbing in 85F weather. Max engine load (99% is top of the scale) and you can see 4th gear, where CC is set at 70, yet van slowed down to about 63 mph. Coolant stays at 106C

20220516_145516.jpg

This is city driving in 102F, where AC and my refrigerator put 63% load at idle.
Coolant temperature drops to 97C.

20220519_160853.jpg
CONCLUSION
about 700 miles round trip, from 1700 to about 7500ft elevations, with 102F at home, when in mountains temperatures were in 80's and 90's.
The highest coolant temperature ever recorded was 109C, what happen on switchbacks climbing.
Time the radiator fan locked the clutch >>> NEVER.
Now some replies above indicate that T1N is having less efficient cooling system, but sad truth is that no T1N owner on this forum has skills/knowledge to do such testing.
Meaning there is no base to compare, when having 20 years old vehicle overheating can, beside too small cooling system, can be also radiator stone build-up.
Like I said before, driving in CA I replaced several radiators on different vehicles just becouse of that and I know 1st hand what "green coolant" can do to radiators.
My advise when you start notice cooling issues, do radiator chemical cleaning.
Worse come to worse - buy new radiator. You should be able to upgrade to bigger and/or more rows.
Relaying on fan to cool down your overheating system is not going to be lasting solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom