Hodakaguy's 4x4 Sprinter Conversion - Pic heavy!

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
Love my wet wiper system. Note that if you use it the same technique as old system (several wiper passes with fluid spraying), it really sucks the fluid down One pass with wash on is sufficient with this system.

I would add that wet wiper system if I could to my 06 T1N. If only I could......

Thanks Hodakaguy for showing us a better way, a much better way for windshield wipers to do the job they were designed for. Brilliant idea.

Hodakaguy

Backland Expedition Gear Slider Install.

After installing the lift I wanted to install a set of sliders. The sliders offer several benefits: They act as a solid step, protect the rocker panels from damage, protect the side of the van from door dings, can act as bench to sit on or a table platform to set drinks on etc at camp.

I wanted a set of sliders that are built solid and able to be scraped/banged on something without denting or folding up. After a bit of looking I settled on Backland EG steel sliders as I liked the construction and looks of these units. They offer two sizes on the sliders, 4" and 6". I ordered the 6" as I wanted them to be a solid step platform that your whole foot can fit on, not just your toes. I thought about fabricating my own setup but just don't have the time right now.

Install went pretty straight forward with a couple minor hiccups.

The sliders bolt onto the Van with 4 braces on each side, bolted into the van with rivet nuts and a series of screws along the pinch seam. The rivet nuts and bolts were sealed with Sikaflex 221. The sheet metal screws that go through the pinch seam was sealed with Sikaflex between the slider and seam and will have a Waxoil coating on the bolt heads and washers (Not applied yet). The rivet nut on the front mounting brackets required the plastic to be removed on the OEM drivers and passenger foot wells to drill/install the rivet nuts, there are plastic tabs on the underside of the foot wells that need to be trimmed to allow clearance for the rivet nut (Sorry got busy and didn't get pics of this step). The two drivers side middle brackets had a gap between the brackets and the body, looks like there were possibly built slightly off. I fabricated and painted some steel spacers to install between the brackets and van body then the fit was perfect.

The sliders are very solid and fit and finish is top notch. The bed liner coating that comes on the sliders looks to be ultra durable and offers a great grip. They make stepping up into the lifted van a breeze, a huge improvement!

The Sliders arrived packed very well in a wooded crate and foam bits. The sliders are coated in INDY Bed Liner and should be very durable over time.

Mounting brackets and hardware. Brackets are coated in the same INDY coating as the sliders.

Test filling the slider. Fit perfectly.

Drilling holes (and painting) in the pinch seam. There are 8 screws that are installed along the pinch seam.

Sikaflex 221 applied between the slider and the pinch seam for a waterproof seal.

Will Sikaflex installed at all 8 hole locations the sliders are pressed into place and held in place with the jacks as the screws are inserted into the sliders from the underside.

The 8 supplied mounting brackets are mounted to the van via Rivet nuts. First you find the location that you want to install the brackets then hold the brackets in place and use a marker to mark out the bolt/Rivet Nut locations. You then drill the holes (1/2") and install the Rivet Nuts using a install tool (Not included with the sliders). Once the Rivet Nuts are installed I sealed the edges with Sikaflex then bolted the brackets in place using more Sikaflex to seal the bolts themselves.

Manual Install Tool

Bracket 1 out of 8 installed.

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Continued from above....

The two middle brackets on the drivers side didn't quite match up with the body and left a gap, looks like maybe a slight error in manufacturing. I fabricated some steel spacers to fill the gap and everything fit up nicely.

The rear mounts get drilled and bolted in place.

The front mounts

And some installed shots. Fit and Finish is excellent.

Hodakaguy

Wow Hodakaguy! Just what I have been wanting for over a decade.

The minimal, if any at all, loss of ground clearance has always been key to me and you have provided a great choice at last. That is, if these steps can be applied to T1N's. ??

Thanks for the possibilities of a viable alternative to the others that do not work for T1Ns. Hope springs eternal that Backlands steps/rocker panel protectors can be applied to our T1Ns. I will see what I can find out about these Backlands steps. Hopefully they will offer some brackets for T1Ns.

HeyBuddy

Hey,

Love your build. How do you use the toilet in the rear corner? Does the bed pull up and then you do your business?

Thanks for letting me know

Hodakaguy

Wow Hodakaguy! Just what I have been wanting for over a decade.

The minimal, if any at all, loss of ground clearance has always been key to me and you have provided a great choice at last. That is, if these steps can be applied to T1N's. ??

Thanks for the possibilities of a viable alternative to the others that do not work for T1Ns. Hope springs eternal that Backlands steps/rocker panel protectors can be applied to our T1Ns. I will see what I can find out about these Backlands steps. Hopefully they will offer some brackets for T1Ns.
That would be a great setup on a T1N, you might want to send a message to Backland EG and see what they say about fitment.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Hey,

Love your build. How do you use the toilet in the rear corner? Does the bed pull up and then you do your business?

Thanks for letting me know
The bucket toilet is easily removable and we use it outside the van for emergency use. The unit is held in its storage postion with 3 quick release straps and can quickly be taken outside or upfront if needed. The Wag Bags are really slick, they work great with no odor and are the ideal setup for occasional use.

Hodakaguy

I did send a query to them and mentioned you as the source of my interest in their products. Thanks. Fingers crossed. I would drive up in an instant if they could fit those steps to my model year. Gotta love this forum.

I remember you from the Samba Forum. I just recently changed from a 1987 Syncro NAHT to a Sprinter Platform. As always, your work and attention to detail is impressive. Hopefully we see each other out on the road! Cheers, Ron :)

333.JPG029.JPG

Hodakaguy, as of this morning, no word back, but as with some other of our favorite suppliers, I can understand that their time is valuable just dealing with the work they have going on and a limited number of techs keeping the production happening.

All in good time. Hopefully.

Top Bottom