10in mbux radio doesn't have wireless android auto

acidic

I test drove a van with the 7in radio screen, and it had the wireless android auto (AA). my phone synced up for the test drive. AA came up super fast, and was supper happy with how AA performed over my after market pioneer deck (6 yo) i have in my truck, that uses wired AA.

Was able to check out my van I ordered today, ( cant take delivery due to seat belt recall....) it has the 10in screen with nav and playing around with the stereo and could not make android auto work wirelessly.

sales guys said that AA wireless doesn't work on any of the 10in screens. only the 7in screens. and i would have to use a usb cable to make AA work...

I'm so disappointed. As a contractor / service guy, my whole day is on google calendar with all the addresses i need to go to, and AA has been awesome to nav to next job with just 2 presses. it was going to be so nice to just toss phone on the dash cubby, have it charge, and have AA auto connect wirelessly. I have no intention to ever use the stock nav app.

So now I have a van with wireless phone charging, where i will have to plug in a cable in order to use android auto.... This is so stupid. any way to make wireless android auto work on the 10in Mbux radio? for apply car play it says wired in a setting... but for AA doesn't list that it has to be wired....

software version was apilevel / ntg6 /080

situationrad

It definitely sucks. I have the same 10" and hate having to connect a cable.

I just looked into a wireless solution and there is maybe something in this article worth considering:

This looks promising. I emailed the linked product's company in the article. i will report back to what they say. CarlinkIT

Last edited:

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
My son who doesn't use Android auto uses the wireless charging. I ran the android auto wire behind the dash and have it exiting near my phone cradle. I have the end of the cable coming out of a rubber grommet. I pull the cable out to plug it into my phone. I then push it back in when I'm done with it. It works really well.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144

situationrad

smart! that thread needs to be a sticky at the top!

acidic

one thing i dont get is if the 7in display has wireless AA why cant the 10in? or is it that all 10in comes with the MB nav, and they want you to use MB me connect app. and their nav app?

what is the 10in missing that the 7in has part wise? or is it just software for it turned off? and can be enabled with a update?

situationrad

This looks promising. I emailed the linked product's company in the article. i will report back to what they say. CarlinkIT
Alrighty, they got back to finally. A single unit is $85USD for 1-50 units. Shipping is $21 from China to San Diego.
They do sell them in bulk at a discount. I don't have the scratch to make a significant investment... group by perhaps? alibaba carlinkit

Last edited:

waverider

VS30 4x4 (Santa Cruz)
I have an Apple iPhone, which so far I've only been able to use CarPlay via the USB cable. I was in the BEG (Body & Equipment Guide) document and stumbled on the following:

1634183106416.png

I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if you connect your device to the built-in WIFI [WLAN], if you can then use wireless CarPlay / android audio?

stummej

I test drove a van with the 7in radio screen, and it had the wireless android auto (AA). my phone synced up for the test drive. AA came up super fast, and was supper happy with how AA performed over my after market pioneer deck (6 yo) i have in my truck, that uses wired AA.
How did you get wireless android auto to work? I've hooked into the wifi (no hotspot) and my phone does nothing. On my pioneer deck in the Jeep the bluetooth connects, shuffles over to the wifi connection and android auto launches automatically. The sprinter with a 7" screen the only way it will ever come up is with the usb cable, which makes the Qi charging kinda pointless...

acidic

How did you get wireless android auto to work? I've hooked into the wifi (no hotspot) and my phone does nothing. On my pioneer deck in the Jeep the bluetooth connects, shuffles over to the wifi connection and android auto launches automatically. The sprinter with a 7" screen the only way it will ever come up is with the usb cable, which makes the Qi charging kinda pointless...
i may of went to the AA app on my phone, and then connected from there. i'm really not sure as was to long ago, it kinda just did it's thing and i didn't have to mess with much, if i remember right it kinda just connected.

mtsarpilot

I just picked up a new 2021 170" WB. When I told the MB system to connect my phone via Bluetooth and completed the pairing, my phone came up and asked if I'd like to connect AA. I said yes, and it all fired up wirelessly. I've been using AA since minute one and have never connected a cable. Try deleting your BT connection both on the van and in the phone. Then start BT connection over without connecting a cable. Fire up AA and see if it flies wirelessly.

mtsarpilot

@stummej As I played with the Bluetooth connection in the van today I noticed that the MBUX uses your phone in whatever BT connection profile it last had, which makes sense. If you connected it to BT as an audio and phone device, it won't be looking at it as an AA device. Here's something to try:

- Disconnect the phone from the USB cable
- On the screen of the MBUX stereo system, selection Bluetooth
- Select the icon on the bottom that looks like 2 phones overlapping each other. See the attached Image 1 and red arrow
- You'll be presented with the list of devices you've connected. Notice my phone is connected as a Phone and Audio device in Image 2. Touch the AA icon to instead connect it as an AA device

Now AA should start up. If you try to use BT to play audio, it will tell you there is not audio device connected because the phone is connected as an AA device.

Attachments

tegnamo

@stummej As I played with the Bluetooth connection in the van today I noticed that the MBUX uses your phone in whatever BT connection profile it last had, which makes sense. If you connected it to BT as an audio and phone device, it won't be looking at it as an AA device. Here's something to try:

- Disconnect the phone from the USB cable
- On the screen of the MBUX stereo system, selection Bluetooth
- Select the icon on the bottom that looks like 2 phones overlapping each other. See the attached Image 1 and red arrow
- You'll be presented with the list of devices you've connected. Notice my phone is connected as a Phone and Audio device in Image 2. Touch the AA icon to instead connect it as an AA device

Now AA should start up. If you try to use BT to play audio, it will tell you there is not audio device connected because the phone is connected as an AA device.
Despite my efforts the 10" just doesn't seem to have the same option you're showing on your 7"
1639949124952.png

Top Bottom