Replacing the TPMS sensors

Hi everyone,

I am getting new (Michelin Agilis LT) tires for my 2012 Sprinter Van and wanted to know if I should be replacing the TPMS sensors at the same time.

I have not had any issues with then, so let sleeping dogs lie?

Tough call. I just put a new set of tires/wheels/sensors on my van and can't get the sensors to register. The scan tool sees them fine, but the TPMS receiver doesn't pick them up. My spare didn't have a sensor from the factory. Every time I would rotate the spare in, the TMPS receiver would get confused and wouldn't show the remaining sensors in the correct location. My experience has been that the Mercedes TPMS system is very fussy, at least compared to my Jeep.

borabora

How many miles are on your Sprinter? The TPMS send units tend to last about 100k. If you are close to that or over then maybe replace them. On the other hand your van will drive just fine when a send unit dies -- it's not like you will go into limp mode.
Based on what I have read here, many tire installation places screw up the Sprinter TPMS selection and/or programming. Best to go buy them yourself after verifying what exactly you need. That ends up being cheaper too. You need 315 Mhz units made for Mercedes Benz. You don't want 433 MHz units or universal units. Not all 315 Mhz units will work.

Available all over the place at very different prices. But few places will make choosing the correct units easy. I would trust this outfit for selection but their prices while pretty good can be beat: https://tpms247.com

marklg

How many miles are on your Sprinter? The TPMS send units tend to last about 100k. If you are close to that or over then maybe replace them. On the other hand your van will drive just fine when a send unit dies -- it's not like you will go into limp mode.
Based on what I have read here, many tire installation places screw up the Sprinter TPMS selection and/or programming. Best to go buy them yourself after verifying what exactly you need. That ends up being cheaper too. You need 315 Mhz units made for Mercedes Benz. You don't want 433 MHz units or universal units. Not all 315 Mhz units will work.

Available all over the place at very different prices. But few places will make choosing the correct units easy. I would trust this outfit for selection but their prices while pretty good can be beat: https://tpms247.com
Unfortunately, you may not be able to tell if they work until they are installed and under pressure. Depending on the TPMS sensor, they don't do anything until they see pressure more than a standard atmosphere and / or movement that acts like a spinning tire. That is in addition to needing sensors that are Mercedes specific for your year and model, and the fact that some aftermarket sensors that claim to work just don't. The reason they last a certain number of miles is that they only transmit when the wheels are spinning. The batteries also discharge over the years.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
The batteries in TPMS can last over 10 years, so this is going to be close call.
Since MB sensor on ebay sell for $45 for set of 4, I'd replace them.
Did anyone figured out how to replace batteries alone?

Top Bottom