EGR Valve Cleaning

2021_3500_LowRoof

Wish the power was closer to the Ram eco diesel @260 hp 480ft lbs… those numbers are actually super impressive considering that’s more than a mild fuel plate hopped up Cummins 5.9 from back in the day.

Anjay

Friend of mine has 2015 with v6 in it since new. For two years he have had EGR problem every 5 weeks which resulted it a trip to dealer. Getting loaner for two or three days. After warranty expired he asked me if I will service his EGR since that would save him trip to dealer and I agreed. After first cleaning I told him to try drive first two kilometres holding rpm to about 2000 or till engine warms up. He agreed to try that. Cleaning frequency dropped to about every 4-6 months depending how many short trips he does. And cleaning the valve is just a breeze.

patchesj

According to MB - approx 3500 rpm is top of HP peak. torque curve is pretty flat and drops off at 3500.

View attachment 193625
Personal experience pulling long 5-6% grades, power seems to fall of below 2200 rpm pretty dramatically. And 6th and 7th (Overdrive gears) can't maintain speed (cruise set to 72). Automatic downshift to 6th happens fairly soon, maybe 68-70 mph. But it will hold onto 6th until you are close to 55 mph, downshift and then regain speed. [I typically pull the lever myself to keep this from happening, but I wanted to see what the computer thought was "a good idea" for a reference point..]. FWIW the dash engine monitor will show torque pegged at 324 ft lbs, so the downshifts are not triggered by load% only by RPM?

(Van weight is ~8900lbs loaded, roof rack, roof AC, side ladder for plenty of wind resistance..)

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
I'll still manually drop down a gear occasionally, but I've found that since the AEM was done to our 2015 3.0L it's quicker to downshift than it was before, a welcome change.

2021_3500_LowRoof

Personal experience pulling long 5-6% grades, power seems to fall of below 2200 rpm pretty dramatically. And 6th and 7th (Overdrive gears) can't maintain speed (cruise set to 72). Automatic downshift to 6th happens fairly soon, maybe 68-70 mph. But it will hold onto 6th until you are close to 55 mph, downshift and then regain speed. [I typically pull the lever myself to keep this from happening, but I wanted to see what the computer thought was "a good idea" for a reference point..]. FWIW the dash engine monitor will show torque pegged at 324 ft lbs, so the downshifts are not triggered by load% only by RPM?

(Van weight is ~8900lbs loaded, roof rack, roof AC, side ladder for plenty of wind resistance..)
What gears 3.92 or 4.18?

Bjorgens

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and subsequent adders-on. Cleaned mine today (2020 V6 4x4 with 10K miles), and it was indeed pretty dirty. Quick test drive after cleaning it all out yielded much more linear throttle response off the line. So thanks!

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
I guess I'll put this on my list but I think I should have a spare gasket on hand first

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
The steel gasket doesn't get deformed in use. The steel gasket can be reused.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
In nearly 170k miles, I've done nothing to my EGR valve. I'm not even sure I could find it. :dripsarcasm:
I guess that's the benefit of 95% of Frito's miles being at highway speeds.
x2.
I did have few vehicles with more than 300,000 miles, several over 200,000 miles and I think the only EGR I cleaned in my life was on 1985 El Camino.
That 5l Chevy engine never passed CA smog without putting few 100's in it.
But I am strong believer in "Italian tune-ups" . Even usually I drive for comfort and being retired I don't need to rush, from time to time I floor it on freeway ramp.

patchesj

I asked my dealer if there was a remove/inspect/clean procedure they could do to get me back to normal until the already ordered (back ordered until October) EGR valve arrives. He said that no, cleaning won’t help me as there is a design issue and the replacement is a different version.

so, happy for those of you this works for but it looks like there is still a larger design problem that requires full replacement.

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
From the pics, seems like there is a benefit to a periodic chimney sweep, unless mostly hwy (not my case). Anyone know what the MB spec maintenance is...?

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
EGR has self cleaning cycling featured every time the ignition is turned off.
When the cleaning cycle is properly operating you can hear the egr preform a uniform cadence of 9 rhythmic cycles

Last edited:

bigb

I am cleaning mine today, I looked up the torque for the mounting bolts and it looks like it is only 8nm, does this sound right?

bigb

Mine wasn't too bad but I cleaned it anyway. It was however stuck to the housing pretty bad. I found out that if you remove the two security head torx bolts from the egr motor and insert two of the mounting bolts in the holes then tighten them down alternately it lifts the egr valve straight out of the housing, no prying with screw drivers or pounding with hammers and punches.
I went with 8nm or about 70 inch lbs on the mounting bolts although they sure felt a lot tighter than that when I removed them.
It was only a 30-40 minute job but I spent at least an hour trying to find the security torx bit I dropped to no avail. Pretty sure it went into the hole on top of the box rail.

Quimbola

Is there any reason that my EGR needs to be cleaned every 500 miles? It runs great after I clean it, then a short time later it hesitates and coughs, it is worse with the AC on and when it is above 85 degrees outside…

bigb

Is there any reason that my EGR needs to be cleaned every 500 miles? It runs great after I clean it, then a short time later it hesitates and coughs, it is worse with the AC on and when it is above 85 degrees outside…
That's not normal. What year and what engine? What kind of driving?

Top Bottom