Hidden Hitch for 140 w/ rear step bumper

Gray

Hello ! I'm new here and this is my first post . I have 2005 Sprinter 3500 (140 in, w/dual wheels ) and I was wondering ,if any of theese hitches will fit my Sprinter. I'm OK with relocating spare tire but I don't want to remove rear step bumper . Thank you.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hello ! I'm new here and this is my first post . I have 2005 Sprinter 3500 (140 in, w/dual wheels ) and I was wondering ,if any of theese hitches will fit my Sprinter. I'm OK with relocating spare tire but I don't want to remove rear step bumper . Thank you.
You should be able to install the hitch specifically for the 3500 without moving the tire. Which rear step bumper do you have? If it's the gray plastic one then you're ok. If it's the metal one then you're not.

DID YOU HAVE TO MOVE YOUR SPARE TO MOUNT THE jc WHITNEY HITCH
The hitch is made by Cequent and sold by JC Whitney. Unless you have the 118, then the spare can stay where it is. There's a Cequent hitch for the 118 that you don't have to remove the spare, but the part number eludes us.

USISDE

All this hitch information is great. I have an 04 Dodge 140 that I use for dirt bike riding and racing. I have the plastic factory style step bumper. Has anyone seen a nice trailer hitch step? I'm looking for something that would make entry into the rear of the vehicle easier than jumping up onto the step bumper.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
All this hitch information is great. I have an 04 Dodge 140 that I use for dirt bike riding and racing. I have the plastic factory style step bumper. Has anyone seen a nice trailer hitch step? I'm looking for something that would make entry into the rear of the vehicle easier than jumping up onto the step bumper.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102&highlight=hitch+step

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365&highlight=hitch+step

Gray

You should be able to install the hitch specifically for the 3500 without moving the tire. Which rear step bumper do you have? If it's the gray plastic one then you're ok. If it's the metal one then you're not.

The hitch is made by Cequent and sold by JC Whitney. Unless you have the 118, then the spare can stay where it is. There's a Cequent hitch for the 118 that you don't have to remove the spare, but the part number eludes us.
Thank you for reply, but I think I need hitch that mounts to the inside of the rail. My Sprinter has grey plastic bumper, but it mounted from the outside of the rail (maybe that's the difference between 3500 and 2500 :idunno:), I checked this tonight after reading your reply. Probably I need the hitch like this --> http://www.steynfamily.com/mercedes-sprinter-van-conversion-to-mercedes-sprinter-van.htm#8 . So , maybe you or anybody from this forum knows what make or part number it is.Thank you in advance.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Thank you for reply, but I think I need hitch that mounts to the inside of the rail. My Sprinter has grey plastic bumper, but it mounted from the outside of the rail (maybe that's the difference between 3500 and 2500 :idunno:), I checked this tonight after reading your reply.
That's odd. :wtf:

Probably I need the hitch like this --> http://www.steynfamily.com/mercedes-sprinter-van-conversion-to-mercedes-sprinter-van.htm#8 . So , maybe you or anybody from this forum knows what make or part number it is.Thank you in advance.
Steyn's dilemma was that you could not order a hitch with a (gray) step bumper. It was the same with my order, except the aftermarket had caught up.

Steyn modified his step bumper to mount on the outside...
ultimate-windsurf-van-bumper-03.jpg

What you need Gray is the factory tow hitch from your dealer.

Gray

That's odd. :wtf:

Steyn's dilemma was that you could not order a hitch with a (gray) step bumper. It was the same with my order, except the aftermarket had caught up.

Steyn modified his step bumper to mount on the outside...
View attachment 3288

What you need Gray is the factory tow hitch from your dealer.
Thank's for help. I will go to the dealer and see what's happen !:thumbup:

mikiclimb

travelling climber/nurse
Hey Gray, any luck with that factory hitch? I've got a 140 3500 (which the hidden hitch doesn't fit ) and I was looking for an easy to bolt on class III or IV hitch. Any info would be appreciated as the bolt on solution that Seek did won't work for me either.:idunno:

Gray

Hi ! Long time since I've been here.To be honest my project is not finished.The problem is that both hitch and rear step bumper need to be mounted in
the same place. So I had to remove the step bumper and cut off the triangular steel piece from the right bracket of this bumper ( need grinder,hammer and chiesel
to do that). It was there to make bracket more solid, I beleive . After this I was able to install hitch and bumper in the same spot.
What I didn't finish is installation of L-brackets that came with the hitch . The bumper brackets are in their way , of course. I think theese L-brackets need
to be bent somehow to fit the same mounting place in the frame and not to change angle of step bumper.
My Sprinter is not in the USA right now, that's why I couldnt finish everything. But in a few months , when I get to it,it will be ready ( hope so :thumbup: )

if I'm not mistaken guys have successfully removed the rear bumper, then put the left bracket on the right, and right bracket on the left, which put the brackets on the other SIDE of the framerails, allowing room for the receiver.

John

Nate

I just installed hitch on my van last night. And thought I would share my experience.
I went with the HH - 87647 for $149. plus $33. shipping from Hitches online.

I was going to try from JC Whitney but their price was $225 or so.

I ordered the hitch on friday morning and recieved it Saturday afternoon. Very fast shipping.

The Hitch also had the Draw-Tite part number, 75210, on it with the HH numbers.

No problems with the install except that the holes wouldn't line up due to the hitch hitting one of the support legs for the Step bumper so I used a grinder to take about 1/4" of material off the bottom of the bumper leg and then it fit fine.

A very nice Hitch for the money I think.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
No problems with the install except that the holes wouldn't line up due to the hitch hitting one of the support legs for the Step bumper so I used a grinder to take about 1/4" of material off the bottom of the bumper leg and then it fit fine.
Weird. I had no such problem on mine.

Bajabum

Vi veri veniversum vivus
I just installed hitch on my van last night. And thought I would share my experience.
I went with the HH - 87647 for $149. plus $33. shipping from Hitches online.

I was going to try from JC Whitney but their price was $225 or so.

I ordered the hitch on friday morning and recieved it Saturday afternoon. Very fast shipping.

The Hitch also had the Draw-Tite part number, 75210, on it with the HH numbers.

A very nice Hitch for the money I think.
Hitch is still the same price but shipping has increased to $90.00.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hitch hidden genuine Mercedes bolt-on no drilling, plugs into a genuine Mercedes trailer loom loom box is under passenger-seat, of which connects to the rats nest relay under the drivers seat, then the 7 pin trailer loom runs through Yes the chassis rail though to the last rear right hand quarter panel and comes out under the rear to connect to the main hitch support bar.
Tounge and ball (Large).jpg
Original hitch with extended tow tongue bar to pass the rear step, it just clears the steel crash bar at the rear, with tow ball attached. rated 2500 KG 2.5T
DSC01530(1) (Custom).JPG
Since upgraded with a 3500 Kg tongue extra long , great for H/D trailers the tongue can be positioned up level or lowered, Ball rated 3500 KG 3.5T for H/D trailers.
DSC01531(1) (Custom).JPG
The only catch was the Mercedes alloy cover plate caught on the driveway at home once too often, can not purchase the cover-plate from Mercedes as a separate part:bash: so I installed Hayman Reese plate instead, and replaced the locking pin with an ARK non theft lock.
To-date no one has copied my variant, as those who asked down home, never thought it could be done.
DSC01404%20(Large).jpg
The advantage of the longer tongue extension, is that a trailer draw bar can now turn lock to lock with out catching up on the original crash bar, where the original tongue ball was too close and did catch on full lock hence the reason for a repainted crash bar.
DSC01275 (Custom).JPG
Richard

Top Bottom