DPF-Diesel Particulate Filter-Clean or Replace

My 2007 Sprinter has a check engine light due to “soot content to in DPF”.
It was thought I could drive it out. I tried and started with a 37g soot content.
It is down to 13g but it should be less than 8g.
Some research has brought some things to my attention that may be helpful for some here.
1st, depending on who you deal with, list price for a new DPF is $3800.00
2nd, used DPF’s are in high demand and hard to get your hands on.
3rd, Dodge informs me that you have to provide your old DPF or Catalytic Converter or be charged a core. Not to be confusing but they do not offer rebuilt they just want the old, I am guessing for the material in them. Freightliner is much less.
4th, on this forum someone mentioned having them cleaned.
I goggled “DPF clean” and found some places.
In my reading I came across a couple of manufactures promoting DPF cleaning machines. They were promoting to Fleet operations and in there pitch the machine cost $20k and they could charge $450 for each clean and how long it would take to pay for it.
Seems they will do anything from a 5inch dia DPF up to a 38inch dia off a crane.
So I started calling all the big fleet operations locally and found a new, state of the art, truck center here in town and they will take walk in DPF cleaning. $475
I am going to give it a try.
5th, I have included some pic’s of my DPF, inlet and outlet.
Everyone that know’s much about these comment on how fragile they are, ceramic.
Around 5% are not cleanable either due to it being cracked, or housing damaged, or so much oil being burned that it penetrates the small openings in the DPF and plug it so bad that it creates a cold spot, I assume this is like an insulation and cannot get hot enough to melt.
Also, if wrong oil is used, as mentioned here on the forum, the metal particles can add to or increase the possibility of not being repaired.
I am taking mine for a cleaning today. Much like waiting for the doctor to call, I hope the news will be good.
Michael

Attachments

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Try a Cummins service center. I was at one a year ago, and they had a sign that advertised DPF cleaning services.:thumbup:

suzieque

I'm guessing dpf cleaning services will become more and more common. How did you measure the soot mass? I have a dashhawk and it shows soot mass, but I'm skeptical about its accuracy.

shanemac

Thanks for the pics its interesting to see what is looks like inside there.

Dodge informs me that you have to provide your old DPF or Catalytic Converter or be charged a core. Not to be confusing but they do not offer rebuilt they just want the old, I am guessing for the material in them.
That sounds crooked...if they want the material in them or any part of the DPF they should be coughing up the money for it...if your buying one outright.

When you go to reinstall DPF will you just use exhaust clamps so it can be removed easier down the road? Also some pics of were you made your cuts in the exhaust would be handy.

Chandlerazman

What happens if you just hollow it out? (Besides belching smoke upon acceleration!) Will it adversly affect the computer? Can the computer be programmed to bypass it?

I once witnessed a plugged catalytic converter from a Dodge van get "rodded out" with a long 1/2" rod and hammer. The ceramic came out in honeycomb chunks. It was just as illegal as gutting a DPF would be. Back then the emisions test was basically a visual "parts in place" inspection.:hmmm:

Actually I doubt there would be excessive belching of smoke. Even ignoring the environmental implications and vehicle regulations, I gotta believe the computer would notice the system changes.:idunno: vic

What happens if you just hollow it out? (Besides belching smoke upon acceleration!) Will it adversly affect the computer? Can the computer be programmed to bypass it?

kendall69

Here in Ca. you now have to go for a smog check on diesel vehicles. I never knew that, but sure enough. I took it in and asked the guy, what the heck are you checking for? He said it's just a visual inspection.

Being ceramic and soot, I'm thinking they have some heavy duty grill cleaner that I've seen them use on the bottom of a badly burnt pan at the fair. Also commercial kitchens have some major grill cleaner stuff. I mean who knows. Before I turn it it in I would experiment on the old one if there are no commercial cleaners.

$3,800.00 buck ARE THEY NUTS, that's half the price of a new engine. Heck it's a deposit on a new one.

I'm guessing dpf cleaning services will become more and more common. How did you measure the soot mass? I have a dashhawk and it shows soot mass, but I'm skeptical about its accuracy.
SDS or Mercedes computer, it wants to see less than 8g.
I would think the SDS or dashhawk or DRPIII computer is reading information gathered from an onboard computer.

When you go to reinstall DPF will you just use exhaust clamps so it can be removed easier down the road? Also some pics of were you made your cuts in the exhaust would be handy.[/QUOTE]

There are no cuts, fancy and user friendly clamps and brackets. Very easy to remove.

$3,800.00 buck ARE THEY NUTS, that's half the price of a new engine. Heck it's a deposit on a new one.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, the V/6 diesel engines, used, are bringing $10k.
But still, $3.8K is a budget buster any way you look at it.
The more I read the more I see this becoming more and more needed.
If so, the prices should come down.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I am in a zip code in Ca. that does not require smog checks. When my filter is plugged up I hope someone has fiqured out where the sensor is and how to send a signal to mother computer that makes her happy without a filter. At $3800.00 I would have a major incentive to gut it. Without the filter then there would not be a need for an EGR system. We could save the world and increase our mileage which would reduce the amount of hydrocarbons we consumed. I also saw a post that said a new diesel engine was $21,000.00.

Chandlerazman

This 1k mile sprinter was brought in to my servicing dealer for a replacement engine. The owner drove it through storm waters and the result is the engine was hydrolocked. The quote was for $29,000. His insurance is paying for it...

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Rare metals limited production and competition artificially keeps the price up.
Disposal of a used DPF is very expensive,stick your nose in a DPF and you'll shorten your life span as quick as a DPF as it's one of the worlds most dangerous castigation's.

The DPF will be short lived a its cheaper to redesign the engines for eliminating exhaust gasses via the EGR system.and a serviceable filter disposable egr valve. SCR and DPF are going ad-blue will be retained on some varinats mostly trucks.
Richard

kendall69

Long blocks are starting at $7,495
http://www.qualitysprinter.com/sprinter_engines.shtml

Some here at $5,700.00

http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/used-enginespartsdodge/sprinter_2500items.html

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500
Used Engine Good Quality - Low Mileage!

Stock Number: RAD3797487M
Fit: 2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500
Description: Complete Engine Unit
RG-EP
Mileage: 51K
Warranty: 1-Year
Wrecking Yard: Santa Fe Springs, California Yard

$5,628.23

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/dodge-sprinter_2500-used_engines.html

SRT

Hi-Miler
If it were legal to do it, it would be easy to wire around it. The sensor obviously measures the flow and reports back to the ECM. Once it is known what the ECM "likes", the signal could be easily replicated to fool it.

I live in an area where light-duty diesel trucks must pass an emissions inspection. My 2005 registered zero detectable emissions at 320K miles, and on the last inspection at over 400K it registered a 1.5 on a scale where the maximum is 10 to pass the test... and the '05 doesn't have a DPF on it at all.

Soot, carbon emissions... I mean, I'm all for clean air and water, but it's like they're legislating for a goal of zero emissions... and it'll never happen. My '69 Barracuda (500 C.I.D.) probably releases more hydrocarbons through gasoline evaporation when it's siting in the garage; due to the way that the gas caps were designed back then; than any of my high-mileage Sprinters produce when they're running.

punter

If it were legal to do it, it would be easy to wire around it. The sensor obviously measures the flow and reports back to the ECM. Once it is known what the ECM "likes", the signal could be easily replicated to fool it.

I live in an area where light-duty diesel trucks must pass an emissions inspection. My 2005 registered zero detectable emissions at 320K miles, and on the last inspection at over 400K it registered a 1.5 on a scale where the maximum is 10 to pass the test... and the '05 doesn't have a DPF on it at all.

Soot, carbon emissions... I mean, I'm all for clean air and water, but it's like they're legislating for a goal of zero emissions... and it'll never happen. My '69 Barracuda (500 C.I.D.) probably releases more hydrocarbons through gasoline evaporation when it's siting in the garage; due to the way that the gas caps were designed back then; than any of my high-mileage Sprinters produce when they're running.
Zero emissions will occur, possibly through hydrogen as fuel. Allegedly, hydrogen is five years away.

The day will come when people look at hydrocarbon burning the way we look at the stone age or the dawn of the industria l revolution. Primitive. Dirty. Dangerous. Etc......

$3,800.00 buck ARE THEY NUTS, that's half the price of a new engine. Heck it's a deposit on a new one.
Last time I checked, the V/6 diesel engines, used, are bringing $10k.
But still, $3.8K is a budget buster any way you look at it.
The more I read the more I see this becoming more and more needed.
If so, the prices should come down.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to be booed but I told you so.(this forum)

Top Bottom