Pull 12v from 'technology box' on front windsheild

mkeys

Asking the dumb questions so you don't have to
We have a dashcam suction cupped to our windshield. Right now we have a very long cord tucked as best as we can along the window, down the dashboard, under the glovebox, and to a 12v socket/plug in the van.

It is a bit cumbersome and I just ordered a hardwire kit sold from the dashcam maker, and will be trying to do a cleaner install on it this time around.

I am wondering if I could pull the 12v I need directly from the 'technology box' our van has in lew of a rearview mirror. This would be less than a foot away from where we need power.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with what is inside of that box?

Taylor Marine

Vans that come with the factory overhead DIN panel option have power supplied for any upfit device. I have the overhead DIN above the mirror as well as the dash DIN (where the glovebox would be).

Ron_S

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with what is inside of that box?
and how to open it without breaking something? I'm assuming "technology box" is referencing the plastic enclosure against the windshield glass that houses the camera and other sensors? There seems to be a removable cover on the back, but I didn't want to pry it off. I paid ~$190 to have the camera recalibrated due to windshield replacement and didn't want to be accused of tampering with that stuff if it needs further adjustment.

mkeys

In my NCV3 based MH, I pulled power from the map lights to power my dash cam.
Interesting. I would have thought that the power to those map lights is always-on and so would not be a good power source for the dashcam (which I want to be on only when engine-on).

mkeys

Vans that come with the factory overhead DIN panel option have power supplied for any upfit device. I have the overhead DIN above the mirror as well as the dash DIN (where the glovebox would be).
No overhead DIN in my build unfortunately, but a good solution for those who have it.

and how to open it without breaking something? I'm assuming "technology box" is referencing the plastic enclosure against the windshield glass that houses the camera and other sensors? There seems to be a removable cover on the back, but I didn't want to pry it off. I paid ~$190 to have the camera recalibrated due to windshield replacement and didn't want to be accused of tampering with that stuff if it needs further adjustment.
Yeah that is the enclosure I am talking about. Good to know about the 'recalibration' thing with the cameras. I too am a bit unsure about opening the magic box..

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Interesting. I would have thought that the power to those map lights is always-on and so would not be a good power source for the dashcam (which I want to be on only when engine-on).
I threw in a mini latching push button switch, looks like stock.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
I threw in a mini latching push button switch, looks like stock.
I think the switch is: https://www.amazon.com/Latching-Button-URTONE-Suitable-Mounting/dp/B01KA4FLHW

You can see I mounted it in the area behind the sunglass holder in pics power button 1 and 2. The cord just hangs out from behind the headliner - power cord pic.

Don't know if the VS30 configuration is similar enough to use this approach.

In some other vehicles I have used the back probe pins converter (12 to 5 VDC) and located power that comes on with the key that is located in the same general area - but could not find key on power in this area in the Sprinter.
power button 2.JPGpower button 1.JPGpower cord.JPG

Top Bottom