Electric running boards vs. fixed

colin509

I can see the benefit of a retractable running board, but my goodness they're expensive! We need to do something though, either electric of fixed. Does anyone have regrets (other than the money) with their retractable running boards?

45Kevin

A question I am grappling with also.
I see plenty of pickups here with their electric steps stuck in the open position during the winter and coated with road salt and grime.
I am leaning towards a manual one more for this reason than cost.
I fully expect to put several thousand miles on each year driving in winter conditions.

FlaJoe

Love my electric ones and they tuck up nicely. Seen quite a few fixed ones damaged by getting hung up and hit.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
I just got running boards installed; talked to installer about electric. He has electric on his pickup and would do it again, but indicated the ice needs to be chipped out of them periodically. I consider this area (western central IL) to be pretty moderate for winter. I went fixed.

45Kevin

I am not entertaining fixed as it would greatly impair my already limited breakover angle.
I will be looking for a retractable step for the sliding door only.
I'm using these for driver and pass door.

ssort

It's all about the bikes!
I have aluminess steps for pass side (slider and pass door) and then cut one down for the drivers side. I did put an override switch for each of them on the drivers seat base so i can turn them off in the winter. fantastic product, no issues. expensive but what isn't if you are doing a upfit right?

CKS

2020 144 highroof cargo converted to adv van RV
AMP steps are expensive, but they come with lights, and a switch to turn them on/off, which I intend to do in the winter.

Dendisch

2019 VS30 144 HR 4x4
I like that they increase ground clearance of electric running boards, but went with fixed ones because the space under the van interfered with my water tank and heater locations.

dixonbi

I just had my factory electronic running board on my 2016 Sprinter uninstalled after it failed. The associated alarms are annoying whenever I opened the door. I had to have the dealer remove it because Mercedes Benz had to remove the programming for the step from the onboard computer ($400)

I'm now looking for a fixed alternative. However I'm finding most manufactures exclude their running boards from Sprinters that have a back AC unit... UGH!

Van-demic

I have the amp research steps on both sides and wouldn’t do anything different. They have performed nearly flawlessly since installation last year. On one occasion the passenger side was stuck down. On another occasion the driver side wouldn’t deploy. Both resolved themselves before I could schedule shop time. The steps did fine all winter long and I did take it up to the mountains on several occasions. I’m in Seattle, so my winter experiences are about going to the snow rather than snow coming to me. Lighted steps is a great feature. It will give you a better chance not to fall or bash your shins.

My steps were installed by Overland Van Project in Portland.

One more note. Like everything van related, these are likely to be out of stock/back ordered. Mine were. If you find them, I wouldn’t wait too long to make a decision.

rob cote

How did you buy VS30 steps from AMP-Research? I still can't find them on their website, and when I last spoke with customer service in April, they said they wouldn't be available until 30-60 days, which would be mid-June of this year at the latest.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
How did you buy VS30 steps from AMP-Research? I still can't find them on their website, and when I last spoke with customer service in April, they said they wouldn't be available until 30-60 days, which would be mid-June of this year at the latest.
I’m pretty sure Agile off road sells them, though there may be a wait. And I’m thinking I actually found them on Amazon a few months back.

hdaniels

I highly recommend Agile off-road for the AMP steps. This is the only thing I have had an installer do. There have been a lot of issues getting the AMP steps to work with the Mercedes can-bus electrical system. Agile has figured it out and to have them install the steps is not a lot more then buying the steps themselves. You do need to drive to and hangout in Santee, CA for a day and half while they do the install.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I'm not having any luck. Is your van 2019+?
Yes my van is a 2019. I don’t have the AMP steps but I’ve seen them on Agile‘s website and I’ve been there a number of times picking things up and having things installed. They know Sprinters, Revels, and Storytellers, and they know what they’re doing.

rob cote

I highly recommend Agile off-road for the AMP steps. This is the only thing I have had an installer do. There have been a lot of issues getting the AMP steps to work with the Mercedes can-bus electrical system. Agile has figured it out and to have them install the steps is not a lot more then buying the steps themselves. You do need to drive to and hangout in Santee, CA for a day and half while they do the install.
I just did some light digging because I thought that I had talked to agile about it already. I came up empty so perhaps I didn't. I will. Thanks for the recommendation!

phertel

2020 VS30 4X4 144
I bought and installed the Amp steps from sprinterstore.com. It uses a magnetic switch for the slider, and taps into the ajar sensor in the doors (before the canbus door module). Everything works well. 2019 VS30 144.

JRib

I bought and installed the Amp steps from sprinterstore.com. It uses a magnetic switch for the slider, and taps into the ajar sensor in the doors (before the canbus door module). Everything works well. 2019 VS30 144.
what year is your Sprinter. I was told that they are not available for 2019 and newer yet?

Top Bottom