Fiberglass damage from awning

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I destroyed our Carefree awning on the last trip in beautiful WV. Don't know why these things don't beep at you when you try to do stupid things like drive with them extended, like the Equalizer jacks! I called Carefree, and I can order the OEM Freestyle awning for $2,300. Four month lead time, they're popular. Called a repair shop, to install the new awning, and fix the resultant chip damage on the wall from the awning, and they can't even look at the damage for a month.

I'm contemplating replacing the awning myself, and wonder if anyone has done that before. I am more concerned with the chips in the fiberglass. They are 1/4" wide and about 1/2" wide, in pics. I read about this MagicEzy 9 second chip fix, but don't really want to screw up the Unity.

Do I need to fill the holes to keep water out?

Attachments

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Don't beat yourself up too bad. Your not the first to destroy a awning and won't be the last. I destroyed a Carefree awning too. It was a open roll model that parachuted out going 60 MPH. I replaced my own with the help of a friend. Dealing with Carefree of Colorado was the worst part of my replacement.

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
Thanks. That must have been an experience! We were at a state park with electric only, and had to move to dump and load water. Both of us failed to see the awning was still out....the Maple tree branch took it out! Called Carefree yesterday, waited forever. Now I need to contact the rep again to place the order. Have an appointment tomorrow at the body shop. There is no "easy button."

I will have four months to decide if I can replace it, have a neighbor that is very handy.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Your pictures aren't clear but is the gouge down into the Styrofoam wall insulation? If so then water can infiltrate, so you need to put tape or something over it until you are ready to get it fixed. That MagicEzy 9 second chip fix looks like it is certainly worth a try. I wouldn't use water to clean the gouge as their video shows. I would use a can of compressed air to blow out any dirt or chips. You probably can tape off the area and repaint it yourself as well. You can buy spray cans of your matching coach paint at, https://www.automotivetouchup.com/. I have had pretty good luck blending the paint job in by wet sanding the area with 2000 grit wet sand paper and then polishing with wax. My motto is, You can always pay someone to fix your try at a repair, but if you succeed you have learned a lot and have a great sense of accomplishment! Plus you will have saved yourself a bunch of money. Go for it, you have nothing to loose. However, I would imagine your insurance would cover the entire awning replacement and body repair minus your deductible.

Last edited:

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
Thanks SSTraveler. I dread the expense of the body work, but I have to preserve the RV. I don’t think the damage is down that far, but I will put some tape over it. I agree with you, and have tried to do as much work myself as possible. I was pretty happy when I foundtheproblem with my tail lights, and told LTV, and they issued a notice and repair kit. Body work has never been my forte‘.

msmolow

2019 Unity CB / 2018 Chas
Why not ask your local body shop how they would handle it? Most of them where I live are happy to give advice. If for no other reason, they know I'll bring it to them after I screw it up.

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
Why not ask your local body shop how they would handle it? Most of them where I live are happy to give advice. If for no other reason, they know I'll bring it to them after I screw it up.
That’s my plan, I will take it to the shop later today.

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Yes, epoxy can be painted. Or a simple touch up will probably do!

Something like this:

Amazon.com: J-B Weld Pro Size ClearWeld 5 Minute Set Epoxy: Automotive

You can apply this, let it cure and then sand it with a very fine sandpaper and paint with touch up paint. The area is small. Worst case you hate the result and can take it to the body shop. I'd try this first as it will cost nearly nothing with no permanent damage if you don't like it.

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
Yes, epoxy can be painted. Or a simple touch up will probably do!

Something like this:

Amazon.com: J-B Weld Pro Size ClearWeld 5 Minute Set Epoxy: Automotive

You can apply this, let it cure and then sand it with a very fine sandpaper and paint with touch up paint. The area is small. Worst case you hate the result and can take it to the body shop. I'd try this first as it will cost nearly nothing with no permanent damage if you don't like it.
Thanks. The body shop estimater said the repair would be upwards of $2K. That would also cover a few other dings in the paint. Still, I am thinking epoxy or the MagicEzy stuff, but the latter cannot be painted.

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
The epoxy is so easy. Mix and apply with a popsicle stick. Get it as smooth as you can but make it proud. You can hand sand with 220 grit sand paper and paint. If that takes you more than two hours including cure time I'd be amazed. You'd be making $1000/hour...

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
The epoxy is so easy. Mix and apply with a popsicle stick. Get it as smooth as you can but make it proud. You can hand sand with 220 grit sand paper and paint. If that takes you more than two hours including cure time I'd be amazed. You'd be making $1000/hour...
LoL. How hard is it to work a vertical wall? I've been watching YT videos.....

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Just let it set up before you apply it. It will run a bit but not too much. There most certainly is a moment when it will work perfectly! I use this stuff to inlay turquoise in furniture. I'm able to smear it right up until it is practically hard.

kmay

2013 Unity MB
an epoxy tip - I mixed tinted epoxy resin and fiber glass chop into a thick paste, applied to kitchen plastic wrap and then smudged the whole thing onto gouges in a boat keel, so vertical and upside down. Plastic wrap held the patch in place until it hardened as well as making a smooth surface. Surface was much easier to sand and coupled with tinted resin matched to boat hull color, the patch blended in very nicely. Not perfect, you could still see it if you got close and looked hard. Raking light would make it stand out a bit more. Raking light will always highlight imperfection in a large flat panel. But, it was good enough given the expense and amount of work. Maybe two hours and 40 bucks.

From the photo, you may be interested in some cute adhesive vinyl stickers. Maybe a few bugs. or some flowers, leaves .... snoopy on his flying dog house, puppies, tropical fish ...

But please, no airbrushed mountain range with a wolf and an eagle unless you can really Rembrandt or Monet the heck out of it.

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
Thanks kmay. I already followed Klipstr's advice, and waited for the epoxy mix to slightly harden before applying. Surprised at how fast it was. I will be applying a second coat (just a dab) this next week to fill in the dents. I also have some paint, so we will see how this DIY goes. Still beats the >$2K estimate for the body shop. While I like the sticker idea, my wife would probably not :).

rver2be

2019 Unity FX
LoL! You were right. Now I just need to put another dab on the chips, and get it painted.

Oddly, I had to call a second Carefree Rep to order the awning, as the first one never returned my call. After I ordered, she said to expect a 5 week wait. The first rep had quoted 4 months. Yesterday I had a call from the freight carrier - for delivery next Tuesday. Amazing.

WinnieView1

LoL! You were right. Now I just need to put another dab on the chips, and get it painted.

Oddly, I had to call a second Carefree Rep to order the awning, as the first one never returned my call. After I ordered, she said to expect a 5 week wait. The first rep had quoted 4 months. Yesterday I had a call from the freight carrier - for delivery next Tuesday. Amazing.
Under promise and over deliver!

Top Bottom