thanks for all the help on my convertion

samhop

I have had a great time doing my dry camper conversion last fall 2009. we spent 2 months west skiing last winter 2010 and we jest got back from a week in the Canadian maritime. I will keep it short so i don't mess up the board.

got the van out of AZ as a high rough cargo w/70000mi. drove it back home
IMG_0992.JPG

striped it out and insulated the floor with some 1/2" foam.
IMG_1016.JPG

wired it up w/110 and 12v made some steel frames out of some old steal i had kicking around, through in the necessitates heat, batteries 400+ ah in 2 X 6v, air compressor,
IMG_1039.JPG

than shot it with fire retardant foam put in some heat and did a little finish electric. like a boat A. with a house set and solenoid isolator and all that good stuff
IMG_1059.JPG

only room for one more pic. this is the navigator inside camping out up in the sawtooth, Idaho last February. I used an old metal futon frame for a rack, its bolted to the top of my ski/storage box. We sat on the box mostly because if we used the futon in sofa mode our feet could not reach the floor. I left the cargo divider in for security and stealth, we jest hung a movers quilt over it it for a black out shade when i overnight-ed uninvited.
IMG_1330.JPG

thanks for all the great ideas and tec support. this year im doing Andy's RSN fix and the switch for running the engine heater w/o starting.

sam

cant spell dont care

nebep

Good job Sam - do you have a problem with your "REST" switch?

(The REST function will take heat from the engine compartment and send it into the van for a little bit after you turn the van off. not sure how long, we've used it a few times - it has worked well.)

d_bertko

Always happy to see another DIY conversion.

We're about 5 years into our DIY and about 3000 miles from home at the moment. Pretty much enjoyed every moment of the experience. Making up the list right now of the next batch of yearly refinements.

Dan

samhop

thanks Dan

your right-up / pics were real helpful

we did 16000 mi Jan and Feb of 2010 averaged 22.6 m.p.g running heater about 1/2 the time (avoiding head winds if possible).

pre departure ski trip
IMG_1097.JPG

camping northeast point PEI
IMG_1780.JPG

samhop

Where did you get that oversized battery from? I've never seen anything like it!!! How much did it cost?
that's jest a couple of 6V i got them from dcbattery in Miami fl there expensive and shipping can kill so shop around. used telecom is another cheaper way to go but that comes with a bunch of other issues.
http://www.dcbattery.com/fullriver.html
there is a pdf at the bottom of the page with the spec.
wired with 4/0 welding cable mounted behind rear wheal wells.
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG

Last edited:

samhop

FRL16's?? Man, those things have some JUICE!!

The weight of them is VERY attractive too!!
plenty of power! but I should have gone for a bigger inverter though, my microwave fails the popcorn test it's about 4 min to boil water. I could not pass up the 1000w inverter charger for $350 with a lifetime guarantee don't know what it list for but see them on line for $800 to$900.

the weight is good ballast for traction. The weight on the spec. sheet on page 1 of the pdf flier is wrong it should read 123lb not 56lb. I like the AGM for a house set

Last edited:

nebep

plenty of power! but I should have gone for a bigger inverter though, my microwave fails the popcorn test it's about 4 min to boil water. I could not pass up the 1000w inverter charger for $350 with a lifetime guarantee don't know what it list for but see them on line for $800 to$900.

the weight is good ballast for traction. The weight on the spec. sheet on page 1 of the pdf flier is wrong it should read 123lb not 56lb. I like the AGM for a house set

Good stuff - thanks!!

I don't know if you had looked around and seen our golf cart battery set up. It's close to you in power and mounted at the underbelly, not taking any room up inside. (4 6V's...) - We're at about 460Ah - but no microwave....So we've got some serious stayin' power we've found....Made a week in Yellowstone with no hookups this year - you've definitely done well on your battery setup...Kudos :cheers:

Loved the chicken in your picture. :laughing: :thumbup:
Seek,
You either have really good eyes, or alot of time on your hands. It took me a few looks at the pictures to finally find that damned chicken.:bounce:

Sam,
Great job on your conversion. It looks very useful, but stealthy.:thumbup: Thanks for all the info. I love your sign off "cant spell dont care".:smilewink: vic

sikwan

06 Tin Can
You either have really good eyes, or alot of time on your hands. It took me a few looks at the pictures to finally find that damned chicken.:bounce:
How can you miss it, Vic. :smirk: That thing stuck out like a Sprinter. :bounce: Now that you brought it up, I see two now. :crazy:

Oh, great write-up Sam. :thumbup:

samhop

MSC update

things are slowing down hear, fishing season is almost over and we have had some blow days so i get to do some updates on my Mobile Ski Chalet.

I have RSN so i did the Dr A fix and it was 100% successful! I have not been able to repeat the symptoms despite the fact that my hole was drilled jest a smig off center.

IMG_1933darf.JPG

praise be to the institute.

samhop

Re: MSC update

next I wonted to move my Kitchen and LP tank out side and provide some extra storage. so I added a hitch mount 2" class IV and a swing-away to mount the box on. From the mock-up it looks like I will be able to opine the rear doors with the mount swung open and might be able to add a rack for my mountain bike to. I will post more pics when i get the box mounted

IMG_2006.JPG

I got to get some Billy Goat pics in here.

samhop

Rivit nut tool

So I did all my internal fastenings with a rivet nut tool it worked great for putting down the floor over the insulation and attaching the steel frames and internal paneling. But I had to do two ez mods to the tool in order to use the (small rivet nut tool) for 1/4 X 20. Its not designed for 1/4 X20 but the larger tool is over $100 so for me modifying the $28 tool was the way to go.
IMG_2000.JPG
First i extended the handles then for sheet metal i made a spacer out of a piece of piano hinge. to use the spacer first squeeze the inset normally than open the tool and slide the spacer in between the tool and the insert than squeeze again. It also worked for tightening inserts that came loose after multiple fitting of parts.
IMG_2003.JPG
without the spacer the insert wont close all the way on thin material and i was getting spin problems installing bolts into the inserts.

I also found that the steel inserts work better than the aluminum ones pictured. And yes dab hole carefully with body panel adhesive before inserting the insert or paint to prevent rust.

Last edited:

Top Bottom