Manufacturer cleanliness test/0il

D

Deleted member 50714

So, may be prudent to change oil after 500 miles?

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
So, may be prudent to change oil after 500 miles?
That said/ Bob the ForumMember > with the cleanest engine oil of all the members.
Anyway what I got from this video cleanliness test/ was that most manufacturers were within a accepted value.

Fwiw; l changed the Sprinters (break-in factory oil and the filter at 3000mi, the manufacture suggested 10000mi.

D

Deleted member 50714

That said/ Bob the ForumMember > with the cleanest engine oil of all the members.
Anyway what I got from this video cleanliness test/ was that most manufacturers were within a accepted value.

Fwiw; l changed the Sprinters (break-in factory oil and the filter at 3000mi, the manufacture suggested 10000mi.
Charles, the quiet genius in the back of the room.
3000 mile initial oil change sounds prudent to me. Can only help and never hurt.

CJPJ

My thought is that the engine oil filter medium prevents the circulation of harmful industrial dirt particles from moving through the crank bearings; .. and much of the debris Is uncirculated, resting in the bottom and every recess nook and crannies.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
I used to be in the change early camp.

Now I will keep the factory fill in for the full duration unless instructed by the manufacturer to do otherwise.

Many manufacturers like to keep the break in sump the full duration because its loaded with the moly from the assembly lube which eases break in and adds a tribochemical barrier the subsequent fill will begin to wash away with its fresh detergent pack.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I don't understand the subject.
Don't motorcycle motors have oil filters?
Mine 1922 Ford T doesn't and still runs well, although (since original owner is no longer around) I don't have the records.

D

Deleted member 50714

My thought is that the engine oil filter medium prevents the circulation of harmful industrial dirt particles from moving through the crank bearings; .. and much of the debris Is uncirculated, resting in the bottom and every recess nook and crannies.
Sound reasonable to me.

CJPJ

I don't understand the subject.
Don't motorcycle motors have oil filters?
Mine 1922 Ford T doesn't and still runs well, although (since original owner is no longer around) I don't have the records.
Just some data about different manufactures cleanliness during engine assembly. Though it amusing.
Yes today's motorcycles have oil filters.
Good point, kajtek do you use non detergent oil in the 1922?

Oil filtering came around with detergent oils that suspend /hang /particles ..so that a filter can get them.

I still suspect there's settlement and the nooks and crannies get theirs.

Had a 1942 Willys Jeep Army M38A1 It had oil bypass to a filter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I tried to explain to my college educated ex-wife the concept of detergents and that more laundry detergent doesn’t necessarily equate to cleaner clothes. I also learned one universal constant is women never empty and turnout the fuggin pants pockets.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
I tried to explain to my college educated ex-wife the concept of detergents and that more laundry detergent doesn’t necessarily equate to cleaner clothes. I also learned one universal constant is women never empty and turnout the fuggin pants pockets.
Both seems a constant with women.

Ive lost count how many kleenex tissues have made it into the wash from the wife pants- its like she puts a box in each pocket.

The extra detergent in my wife's case is all about the smell of the laundry vs the actual cleanliness of it.
She deems laundry clean or dirty by smell as a primary and everything else secondary.

D

Deleted member 50714

Both seems a constant with women.

Ive lost count how many kleenex tissues have made it into the wash from the wife pants- its like she puts a box in each pocket.

The extra detergent in my wife's case is all about the smell of the laundry vs the actual cleanliness of it.
She deems laundry clean or dirty by smell as a primary and everything else secondary.
Yuuuup, same here and tissues as well.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Huh. Everyone in my family does their own laundry (me, wife, daughter, son). We all know how to check our pockets to make sure we aren't contaminating the wash. Except for my son whose sense of when laundry needs to be done seems primarily based on some kind of cloth stiffness metric we all seem to manage washing ok. We all seem to put the right amount of detergent in the machine (even easier now that we use the "pods") and sometimes even bleach. Do I have a family of geniuses?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
All those years on the net and you guys still surprise me.
In not time oil topic ended permanently in laundry room.
But trying to talk oils, years ago I took some oil classes. The first rule they told us
NEVER JUDGE THE OIL BY ITS LOOKS.

CJPJ

Shampoo and Conditioner
[ I'm breaking promise not to include wife in forum] : hope she doesn't find out

We will shower together (after a mornings cold walk).
.. I am amazed the amount of shampoo and conditioner she uses: A full Squirt in her hand /and then another full squirt! probably 4X what is needed. Butt
I'll never suggest to her that she could use less.

D

Deleted member 50714

Shampoo and Conditioner
[ I'm breaking promise not to include wife in forum] : hope she doesn't find out

We will shower together (after a mornings cold walk).
.. I am amazed the amount of shampoo and conditioner she uses: A full Squirt in her hand /and then another full squirt! probably 4X what is needed. Butt
I'll never suggest to her that she could use less.
Called wisdom.

D

Deleted member 50714

All those years on the net and you guys still surprise me.
In not time oil topic ended permanently in laundry room.
But trying to talk oils, years ago I took some oil classes. The first rule they told us
NEVER JUDGE THE OIL BY ITS LOOKS.
Sorry all my fault. It digressed because oil detergents work similarly as laundry detergents.

Top Bottom