A/T tires

buildyourown

Recommendations on A/T tires?
Got stuck in soft road shoulder last weekend so looking for a more aggressive tire. Plenty of offroad but no crawling. Its a 2wd van. Looking for an aggressive AT tire that isnt too loud. Going for 265/75r16.

Vailcomp

Recommendations on A/T tires?
Got stuck in soft road shoulder last weekend so looking for a more aggressive tire. Plenty of offroad but no crawling. Its a 2wd van. Looking for an aggressive AT tire that isnt too loud. Going for 265/75r16.
Toyo ATII or BFG KO 2 both good I had the Toyo on my 2016 4x4 worked great- had 265/70/17 with 40k still good tread. Wanted larger tire went with 275 on the KO 2- Toyo doesn’t offer that size so made the change both good tires

3Play

When I first bought the van it had horribly worn, scrubbed front tires. I did a basic alignment where they told me it had 1.5deg. too much pos. camber and they could not adjust it out. Front end was a bit loose, still is, thats next on the list.
I was afraid I might scrub the new tires getting it back to Az. from Wa.
I put on Kelly Edge LT 245/75 16 and told them to adjust tow as neutral as possible.
I have over 40k miles on those tires, a lot of off road and rocky terrain and they look like they still have over half their tread.
I am actually surprized by how well they are holding up. I don't travel heavy though....I rotate about every 12k.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I have the famous BFG K02's in 265/75-16 on stock aluminum rims, and they definitely and significantly improve traction on loose surfaces while still having good on-road manners. However, as is well known, they are starting to get a little loud at highway speeds as they are getting worn. Lots of people on the Expedition Portal and other Overlanding groups really like the General Grabber's all-terrains and those, as well as other tires (Toyo gets good kudos too) do seem to get better results in TireRack.com customer surveys.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
how many AT tire threads are there already ?
I’m curious, did you bother looking thru the MANY threads about tires and the hundreds of comments before posting ?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
AT3 is the new cool kid on the block. I think K02's are getting long in the tooth. We have Cooper ST Maxx that have been outstanding, but the aggressive tread means we have to rotate every 5K miles to keep them from cupping. Something like an AT3 could probably go more miles before rotating.

hilld

AT3 is the new cool kid on the block. I think K02's are getting long in the tooth. We have Cooper ST Maxx that have been outstanding, but the aggressive tread means we have to rotate every 5K miles to keep them from cupping. Something like an AT3 could probably go more miles before rotating.
I am happy with my AT3's on my 4x4 dually. Did really well in the snow. Also did well in loose gravel, have not been in sand or mud yet, so I can't comment on that.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I had Toyo Open Country (the older version AT not AT2) on the rear of my van for several years. I still managed to get totally stuck on a level patch of wet grass lol. Admittedly the tyres were getting a bit low on legal tread maybe 3-4mm?

I now have BFG KO2 on the back but not much experience with them yet. They are louder for sure, but much more agressive tread.

Eric Experience

Much more important than the tread is the tyre pressure. You can buy a compressor for less than a set of tyres, 10 psi in your tyres you can drive out of most sand and mud, Eric.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
I recently installed LT265/75R16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO2's on my Sprinter. I have zero complaints after testing them on a 2,000 mile round trip to Fan Felipe in Baja California. My second choice was the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx, which I ran successfully for 40,000 miles on an Xterra set up for overlanding.

All open void tires will get louder with mileage and age regardless of brand. The more open the voids the louder they will get. The key to keeping the noise to an acceptable level is to rotate conscientiously at no more than 4,500-5,000 miles.

As mentioned above, you should also carry an air gauge, tire deflation tool, and a means for airing back up. My preference is Coyote deflators, but I also carry a spare clip-on air chuck to use as a manual deflator just in case. Although my Sprinter has a hard mounted ExtremeAire compressor, I have used a Viair 400P compressor for many years and highly recommend it.

Top Bottom