Some info on 2020 MBUX Speaker Upgrades

sanomechanic

Yeah, weird that the connectors seem so different between the two to me.
I'm sure it has a lot to do with what features van is equipped with. Different harnesses for different applications.. Satellite radio, lane keep assist, parking sensors, high line color display, ect. The 7 inch and 10 inch screens are quite a bit different too.

sanomechanic

Curious as to why you went with the FIX 86 and not the FIX 82.
Because I intend to activate fader to have front and rear controls on MBUX. That way the FIX 86 can process 4 channels and sub separately. So for not I have the speaker wires split between the 4 channels.

Ron565

Hi , I’m a newbie and I have a question regarding the center speaker ( you know the LOUD one). I have a 2020 mbux 10” And I just upgraded my speakers 6.5 Hertz . Had to unplug the center speaker. Question, from the center speaker there are 2 pair of wires plugged into the one speaker. I’m assuming one pair are for the speakers what are the pair for? Thanks, Ron

sanomechanic

The SOS emergency system. If you unplug the SOS wires, the system will throw an error on the MBUX screen and your SOS system will be disabled.
I often wonder what those krauts were smoking when the designed that audio blunder. They obviously get drunk or stoned and participate in tone deaf karaoke.

Last edited:

Jackm

I am of the mindset that Ms MBUX needs to be turned off. Lots of reasons but I have found that my cell phone and Bluetooth speakers suit me best at camp time.

I'm using the Sony party speaker and I thought the lights were the corniest thing ever. You can turn them off but for some reason chicks dig it, whodathunkit. Charges on USBC cable. Can have multiple speakers. Use inside the van or in a campground.

Best part! You can yell "Mercedes" at the top of your lungs without the worry of some sweetheart baderging you. I got in a shouting match with the Mercedes-in-the-box that ended with me saying "shut-up" and her responding "you first".

Ron565

Thank you for your reply. What a learning curve. I decided to install some new speakers in the door and dash tweeters. I also disconnected one pair of wires to the center speaker which decreased the volume greatly. I’ll see how that works. Definitely good enough for driving.

smittylube

@4mile,
I would love to stop by and see how you are doing this when you have it apart. I can let you hear what my $100 speakers sound like.

drpaul16

I just spent the weekend upgrading my speaker setup, and I wanted to provide info to others on the forum. I installed the following:
- Fix 86 DSP
- Alpine R-A60F Amplifier
- Focal ES 165KX2 Speakers

The pieces that I thought might be relevant for some folks are a) the speakers are 3" deep, b) speaker wiring for 2020 MBUX.

Regarding the speaker depth, I did several things:
- Shaved down the factory speaker ring (used a pocket knife, but a dremel would've been better)
- CNCed a speaker ring which mounts to the surface of the door rather than the existing ring
- Mounted CNCed ring using Sikaflex
- Heat formed speaker grill to get more space for cone (in retrospect, not sure this was necessary)

Regarding the 2020 MBUX wiring:
- To remove the MBUX Screen, you must first pop out the vents. Could use a coat hanger, or a tool like this: Mercedes Trim Tool. Just grab onto the crossbars inside the vent (preferably in two places at once) and pull.
- There are two large Aptiv/Delphi connectors on the back of the MBUX unit (note, this is the piece _behind_ the screen). The one with the speaker connections is the larger of the two (26 pin). Pins 2,3, 11, and 12 are FR+, FR-, FL-, FR+, respectively. Note that I do have a little bit of uncertainty about the FR+/- pins - I haven't done a phase test yet, but I'm 80% confident that's the right phase (backed up by the color of the wire). I do not have the rear connections, but I believe (and will be testing soon) that the pinouts for the rear speakers are 15,16, 24, and 25 for RR+, RR-, RL-, and RL+, respectively. If you do not have those connections already, you'll need to purchase terminals to fit in the connector. I currently have several connectors on order from mouser.com and will report back when I determine one that fits.

I've attached some photos to aid my descriptions. Happy to help folks so that they don't have to go through the struggles that I did figuring this all out.
For those anxious about pulling out the vents -- it is an easy job. I made two tools from a heavy wire clothes hanger, inserted inside the vent to something substantial, then pulled with pliers on each. Out they came! The vents are held in place by four metal clips. You can see one at the top in the picture. P1000681.JPG

kitebouyd

Hi,
I went to the dealer and requested 021-545-01-26, the connector listed in this thread, for the back of the BMUX head unit. I am not sure what part number their system may have substituted. They were $8.00 each !!! I bought the requisite 8, for front and back speakers.

I have attached a photo, showing the two stock connectors on the left, and the one they gave me as 021-545-01-26 on the right (red wire). Clearly not the same connector.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I try next?

Attachments

drpaul16

Will you sell a set to me?

Did you determine which pins are left-right and positive and negative? Have a photo?
Once you get the pins in and reconnect, how do you identify the rear speaker wires? Then did you just splice into them and run your own wires to the back?

drpaul16

Will you sell a set to me?

Did you determine which pins are left-right and positive and negative? Have a photo?
I bought 25 from digikey, and that ended up being not terribly many extra...

The non-crimper (I tried a couple standard crimpers I had on hand and the final product was always too bulky) method that eventually worked for me to get them in was clipping off the little shark-fin parts and soldering on wires, making sure the solder was fairly "in bounds", then they slid in far enough that they seemed to make a fairly positive click. I haven't tested my rear channel yet, but am 90% sure the connections are good.

What gauge wire did you solder onto the connectors? I tried 14 stranded wire, but it seemed too large.

sanomechanic

What gauge wire did you solder onto the connectors? I tried 14 stranded wire, but it seemed too large.
I stripped insulation back and only had wire soldered on connector using 20 gauge. Your not sending much power across wire. Only a signal for the FIX or amp to process

smittylube

I just spent the weekend upgrading my speaker setup, and I wanted to provide info to others on the forum. I installed the following:

- Focal ES 165KX2 Speakers

The pieces that I thought might be relevant for some folks are a) the speakers are 3" deep, b) speaker wiring for 2020 MBUX.

Regarding the speaker depth, I did several things:
- Shaved down the factory speaker ring (used a pocket knife, but a dremel would've been better)
- CNCed a speaker ring which mounts to the surface of the door rather than the existing ring
- Mounted CNCed ring using Sikaflex
- Heat formed speaker grill to get more space for cone (in retrospect, not sure this was necessary)

I've attached some photos to aid my descriptions. Happy to help folks so that they don't have to go through the struggles that I did figuring this all out.
I saw this before but I didn’t put together you went 6.5”
That has to be a great improvement I would think.
You have had it going for some time now are you still happy with the setup? I’ve always been a Focal fan since the first time I heard them and I did have a set in a previous car.

smittylube

For those with the 10” mbux are you adding the pins for the rear speakers to the connector to back of the head unit?

kitebouyd

Hi, I am not sure whether that question is directed at me?

I had wanted to find the delphi connectors and pins for the back of the 10" MBUX head unit. They are unobtainium, apparently. The pins and connectors for the back of the MBUX head unit would have made the job a lot more professional. Instead I ended up cutting, splicing, soldering and heat shrinking into the front speaker circuit. Good enough for the girls I go with.

I've completed my Step 1, running 4 pieces of 16/4 wire from under the passenger seat to the back of the dash/head unit. The two extra pieces of 16/4 are for any dash switches I may want later. The space under the passenger seat is limited due to the required extra battery. I had planned to put a DC/DC charger and an Audio Control DM6.1200 under there. I am re-thinking that now.

The dealership I spoke with said that this part number was discontinued and replaced with 021-545-13-26. I've ordered some and will report back.
These are the correct connectors. Buy extras - they are difficult to work with. I have a TE Connectivity crimp tool made for these types of connectors and still had issues getting them to crimp properly around the wire insulation. I ended up soldering the new wires to the connectors before crimping in insure a good connection and durability.

I found the OEM connectors on EBay for $1.10 including shipping. Online parts dealers also seem to have them for around the same price + shipping.

Top Bottom