MB Speed detector sensor.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Do not forget that such sensor is Covered by MB for 6 years. Most dealers are not aware of such.
Five years I believe (under the Diesel Heavy Duty Vehicle warranty), at least for MY2014.

You are correct--dealers often push back on this one. Stand your ground.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I guess the other possibility is that they ARE identical except for the keys,...
Yes that would warrant a separate part number and is done to prevent incorrect connection. Connecting Left to Right and vice versa could have catastrophic results!

View attachment 153983
Note that although the plastic has the same number molded into it for both pieces...
Those are NOT part numbers but the plastic recycling code.

PA66-GF25 means Polyamide 6.6 with Glass Fill 25%

Keith.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Yes that would warrant a separate part number and is done to prevent incorrect connection. Connecting Left to Right and vice versa could have catastrophic results!

Those are NOT part numbers but the plastic recycling code.

PA66-GF25 means Polyamide 6.6 with Glass Fill 25%

Keith.
This seems most likely. And yet, the two fronts have been reported to have the SAME part numbers. :idunno:

Gamma1966

2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB
Had one of the rears go out @ about 7k miles. Warranty covered it on our 2017 24G Winnebago.
Leaving for Alaska in 4 days. Bought a front (1) and rear (2) spare ABS sensor assemblies from https://www.autohausaz.com/
Can’t afford to have one go out in the middle of nowhere, pretty simple to change.
I don’t care about warranty, the $$$ is inconsequential to my trip, delays and inconvenience, shady dealers…nope, just crawling under there and changing the sensor.
Pitiful that MB can’t figure out how to manufacture quality any more.
Our 1985 MB sedan ABS still works fine, MB should get that guy out of retirement.
Can you provide the SKEW # for the spare ABS sensors you bought from the web site link?

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Great news SSTraveler! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I received my MB notice today along with others I know. My 2016 has had two rear WSS failures. My warranty was expired and I was just thinking of buying a spare wheel speed sensor. Stash that coverage addendum with your service booklet. You may have to make a case as I once did.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I helped a neighbor get his money back on his wheel speed sensor replacements and I had to challenge a Mercedes shop in Iowa to get my DEF Heater and Nox Sensors replaced under the 5 year warranty as well. I wish they would extend everything on the 5 year warranty list to 10 years! That list is the highest probability of occurrence and certainly would remove a lot of worries.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
I helped a neighbor get his money back on his wheel speed sensor replacements and I had to challenge a Mercedes shop in Iowa to get my DEF Heater and Nox Sensors replaced under the 5 year warranty as well. I wish they would extend everything on the 5 year warranty list to 10 years! That list is the highest probability of occurrence and certainly would remove a lot of worries.
I have a hard time understanding how a MB Sprinter Service Manager would not know about extended warranty information on our vehicles. Are they so hell bent to squeeze owners at every opportunity to receive bonuses for amounts of service and parts preformed and sold? All MB Sprinter owners should remain well informed and smarter than they are. When I went in for an air bag recall, a service employee came up and said "I see your DEFS & wiper fluid is full." I just smiled because I suspected they would try and sell me a gallon of something for a top off.

Last edited:

kmay

2013 Unity MB
I received my letter and was initially excited until I read through to the proof required. Daimler cites requirement for printed receipt or other acceptable proof of payment in addition to the dealer invoice. Many of those printer receipts are on thermal paper which fades quickly. All my invoices are typically stamped or otherwise marked as paid. That should be sufficient for anyone's purposes.

At present, I plan to wade through the credit card statements to find proof of payment. If this works out, it will be my stimulus check as I think I have paid for six of these.

I am happy Daimler is taking this step to address the wheel speed sensor failure and I hope they will go further and address the underlying cause. Even if the sensors were free for the life of the vehicle, for me, this failure sucks the joy out of a trip. Finding a dealership that will work on a sprinter up-fitted to C or A class RV is a always a hassle. If you find a dealer, then they may or may not have the part in stock or they are backlogged and it will be days until they can give you a slot. Then there is the specter of whether the limp mode will be triggered. Overall, this is not the adventure I had in mind.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
And at https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/95259/ we also have a recall for the 3500 upfitted and RV rear WSS. So I get both a new pair under recall and 10 year warranty on all four? Sweet!
It would be even sweeter if Sprinters worked the way they were supposed to, instead of leaving families stranded by the side of the road in limp mode every other trip. Too bad the warranty doesn't cover ruined vacations.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Is there any inspection or test the MB dealer can do to see if sensor is going bad?
Sure... they will inspect any system or MB part you want at your cost. My experience has been that the service centers will not warrantee anything not broken except recall issues.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
It would be even sweeter if Sprinters worked the way they were supposed to, instead of leaving families stranded by the side of the road in limp mode every other trip. Too bad the warranty doesn't cover ruined vacations.
I guess it was an ironic "Sweet!" I have had only two 7 hour stuck on the side of the road occurrences with wheel speed sensors. Other sensor problems were "soft" fails.

adsaxs

We're the third owner of a 2016 Serientiy on Sprinter 3500. Do you have to register your Sprinter somewhere or just the fact that you had some work done at a MB dealer will get you any notifications about recalls, etc.

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
I saw that SSTraveler posted in Facebook there is a recall for MB Sprinters from 2012-2018 to replace speed sensors. Interesting....

WinnieView1

Ours is scheduled at a local dealer Monday for; rear wheel speed sensors replacement, MBUSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER 2021020026. We will post anything we learn after that unless they don't have the new sensors in stock yet.

Top Bottom