European Delivery option?

3dadd

Anyone ever try getting a Sprinter from Europe. I did see them on several import lists as approved (only certain models & years)

If so, any dealers that handle the details.

I'm looking for the smaller "Compact" version.

ohlsonmh

Grumpy Member
I did this back in '89 with a VW Van & it worked out very well.

My wife got measurements from my sister's van & made curtains, which we took in our luggage - & we used a plastic Coleman cooler as part of our luggage, so we were off & camping from day 1.

When the trip was over, the van was parked in a numbered spot at a hotel at Frankfurt Airport, the keys & paperwork turned in to the hotel - and about a month later the car was in California ready for pick up.

-Oly

punter

Mercedes should realize what a great marketing device this is and allow delivery anywhere in the world.

Say you want to take delivery in Tasmania and drive around for a couple of months, and then ship it back.

That should be an option, albeit possibly pricey.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Mercedes should realize what a great marketing device this is and allow delivery anywhere in the world.

Say you want to take delivery in Tasmania and drive around for a couple of months, and then ship it back.

That should be an option, albeit possibly pricey.

You can down under.
If LHD you just place a huge sticker on your bumper back window warning the drivers behind you there is no one driving on the right side of the van?:smilewink:
Richard

wsherman

There should be no problem shipping the Sprinter where ever you would like. What problems have you ahd so far??

Ivessm

2014 Long/Tall BLACK Pass 4Cyl/7sp
This question was asked at the SprinterFest EAST event during an open discussion chaired by Klaus Tritt, Vice President of Operations, Daimler Vans USA. Klaus mentioned one of the problems is that the Sprinter is manufactured in their Dusseldorf facility and they are not geared up for customer visits or pickup at that location. As the Sprinter was just recently integrated into select Mercedes dealerships in the US I would suspect that the same to happen for the overseas delivery problem in the future. I'm sure it's not top on their list but I'm wouldn't doubt it is on their list.

Good luck.

stew

seans

This question was asked at the SprinterFest EAST event during an open discussion chaired by Klaus Tritt, Vice President of Operations, Daimler Vans USA. Klaus mentioned one of the problems is that the Sprinter is manufactured in their Dusseldorf facility and they are not geared up for customer visits or pickup at that location. As the Sprinter was just recently integrated into select Mercedes dealerships in the US I would suspect that the same to happen for the overseas delivery problem in the future. I'm sure it's not top on their list but I'm wouldn't doubt it is on their list.

Good luck.

stew
I think that Klaus would need to be able to demonstrate that it would generate sufficient business to be worthwhile to MB without taking business away from the US operation. Perhaps this is a path for getting 4WD Sprinters into the US? If nothing else, we should request that availability of a 4WD version through a future European delivery program be a priority.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Good luck.

stew
Lets step back on the above on one point.
You can pre-order a Sprinter and bring it into another country with some minor modification's to comply with with local by-laws.
The NAFTA Sprinter is another story. they are not EU compliant not legal for any other western country.in the EU or Commonwealth territory's as to mainly emissions and fuel compliance.such as 10/ppm and less.
Sprinters are manufactured in two locations in Germany based on model weights variants not including 4x4.Argentina makes and produces the 3 series Sprinters.
Russia has a plant so does China and India or is about to:thinking:.
Warranty transfer is complicated as to a specific country of a final destination/ of which the warranty is to destination OF THE AGREEMENT OF WARRANTY PERIOD SUBJECT TO VARIATIONS OUT SIDE OF THE COUNTRY OF PURCHASE.
YOU NEED AN EXPORT BROKER, AND A SILK TO PUSH IT THROUGH.
It's easier to force a local dealer to do this custom order,again it costs money and time just to be a pain in the butt to your dealership. you make no friends out of it.

Once purchased from Germany,it must be taken from the country. or be subject to local taxes,
The data plate is marked in several sequences one being SV for export only, sort of puts the Sprinter in an orphan category.
In saying this you save no money on a standard Sprinter but you do get exactly what you want.
It can be done but dealers don't like it one little bit. we have direct customer imports from Germany! They are rare but ? Not an easy exercise.
In conclusion When I come back home. I can prove MB has played the game with this game of collusion to price fixing and cross border manipulation especially with Canada they have paid millions in Euro's as to fines but it's just a slap on the wrist.
But N/A Sprinters are not on the delivery program.
Richard

bc339

In Germany, it's Oberaigner.
http://www.oberaigner.com/en/
I wonder if this loophole would work. Purchase a Sprinter for European Delivery - if and when that will ever be possible - pick it up in Dusseldorf, take it to Oberaigner for conversion, then have it shipped to the US.
That's my pipedream.
My other option would be to get an overseas job, take my T1N and have it converted over there.
Bruce

ben322

The way Mercedes does their European delivery program for the USA is through their US dealer network, (works really well when the dollar is strong). You meet with a MB sales person at a dealership setup for European delivery and write up the vehicle you want, (US DOT Specification), decide when to pick it up and where you want to drop it off, (MB Port city). What you'll get from the factory is a US Spec. vehicle, not a Grey Market or non-US market vehicle, (exactly what's available here in the states). In the mid-late 80's, this made a lot of sense because of the dollar. Rental cars in Europe then, as now, are expensive and going into certain countries is not allowed by the rental companies. This way, (because shipping is already included in the original price), you would have use of the car in Europe, drop it off when you're heading home, and pick it up at the dealership you made the deal at. What you can't get are options not DOT approved especially engines, (I tried to get a manual E-Class CDI).

Ben

Top Bottom