Green Diesel Engineering - Compliance Form- California

Status
Not open for further replies.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Green Diesel Engineering - Got this emailed to me today

The wheels turn slowly, but once the juggernaut gets up to speed woe to those in front of it.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel

Huh. It would only seem fair that GDE also refund the original cost, once it has been proven that the customer restored the original tune.
Not that the customer isn't guilty, as well.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

Huh. It would only seem fair that GDE also refund the original cost, once it has been proven that the customer restored the original tune.
Not that the customer isn't guilty, as well.
If that were the case, I need to have a chat with my crack supplier....

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile

The other 'tuners' should take note and copy & save that letter. Well done! They will need a letter and with a little cut and paste they can make it their own. Can't say I feel any pain for them.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..

Back when I bought my tune in 2012, I don’t recall an off-road only use clause. Definitely didn’t sign anything stating that was my intention. I recently worked on that truck and it has since had the t21 recall.. thing is gutless compared to with the tune..

Another, most likely unrelated, observation... I also ran an injector quantity correction test to make sure the injectors were performing okay... almost no correction between cylinders. I only state this because it doesn’t seem the tune created any deviations which I was kind of expecting given the increase in rail pressure and also acceleration in injection timing from the tune (at least I think this was something I heard happens as part of the tune, perhaps not?).

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500

Back when I bought my tune in 2012, I don’t recall an off-road only use clause. Definitely didn’t sign anything stating that was my intention.
Have you been following ANY of the threads on this topic since then?

Those guys have been claiming that their stuff was legal at least since 2013:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249557&postcount=16

and they continued to do so at least until 2017:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=546556&postcount=25

These were bald-faced lies and they knew it (if for no other reason than that the law as been well-documented in many threads in which they participated). Their business name and their constant BS claims about how they are really environmentalists just added insult to injury.

These guys deserve every bit of what they got.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

With regards to the injector trim values, the tune doesn't alter them. Best I can tell, they adjust the injection timing slightly, increase fuel pressure by 10%, maybe change the pilot injection length? My scope is not fast enough. The higher pressure wears the injectors faster, but won't impact the smooth running trim values in the short term.

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
Green Diesel Engineering Compliance Form- California

Just received following email from Green Diesel Engineering. Oh Boy.

Given that the update will likely cause dash lights to not go out and kill batteries, and Mercedes doesn't have any more dashboards, who knows what happens now? Many Californians installed GDE to pass smog due to the monitors closing issue that was changed many years after the vans were originally sold.

If you *really* don't like someone, put their name and vin on the list.

--------------------------------

Dear Customers,

We have been instructed by California Air Resources Board (CARB), to supply the attached letter for your review and the link below that we need filled out to the best of your ability.

Flash tool customers: https://forms.gle/qmcK8bHzBVnCbUD4A

CARB has legally requested this email be distributed to all our past customers that live(d) in California. Please let us know if you have any difficulties or other issues with this request.

Sincerely,

Green Diesel Engineering

--------------------------
Attached PDF Letter---Copied contents to make it easier to read
-------------------------
Green Diesel Engineering
1032 Rig Street
Commerce Township, MI 48390
Dear Customer
You are receiving this letter because you purchased a diesel engine tuning product from GreenDiesel Engineering (GDE) prior to November 7, 2017 and, at that time, the product was shipped to an address in California.
We are taking this opportunity to inform you, our customer, that GDE received a Notice of Violation from the California Air Resources Board (hereafter called “CARB”) in November 2017 stating that our “for off-road use only” disclaimer was not sufficient for selling our product in California. All products sold up to that date were under the disclaimer that it was to be used on a closed course circuit and for off-road racing use only. In addition, our product was not legal for sale, offer for sale, installation, or use in California, unless its use was exclusively for racing purposes and the vehicle was never driven on a public highway. As part of our continued support of CARB’s review of the matter, we identified our customers.

You are receiving this letter, because our records indicate that you purchased one of our products that are not legal in California Part of our settlement with CARB requires a compliance campaign.

The first part of this campaign consists of a response form, which we will be emailing to you. You must complete the form and return it to GDE. If you are no longer the owner of the affected vehicle(s) please let us know, and where possible please share the current owner’s information. If your vehicle is no longer registered in the State of California please let us know that as well.

The second part of the compliance campaign requires customers with the GDE flash tool to install the stock tuning in the vehicle as soon as possible. Customers with Ecodiesel GDE tunes must go to the dealer and have them reinstall the stock tune. Please email us a receipt showing it was completed, so that we can reimburse you for your expenses. Vehicles with a GDE tune are legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used, or registered or licensed for use, upon a highway. If you do not have the GDE tune removed, CARB may take remedial action, including, but not limited to requesting the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) block your California registration. This may prevent you from selling or re-registering your vehicle in California.

Please direct any questions regarding this correspondence to:
keith@greendieselengineering.com . Our normal support email address is not able to address
specific questions regarding this matter at this time

vanski

Guessing only applies to those in the communist state of California?
Yes, as far as I know, only applicable in the state which has produced pretty much all the technology innovation, even this site as a very small example, which is allowing you to spew your ignorant rhetoric..

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
"CARB has legally requested" Right.....

Translated: GDE has received a court order consequent to legal action by the State of California in accordance with their 'settlement agreement' over illegally and willfully distributing emission defeat devices in the State. It is not a 'request' ... it is an order.

(Or if you are Dennis from the UK.... it is an ORRRRRDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!)

:popcorn:

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Yes, as far as I know, only applicable in the state which has produced pretty much all the technology innovation, even this site as a very small example, which is allowing you to spew your ignorant rhetoric..
Careful now, one of times I called out an ignoramus for said on this forum has led to the moron trolling me continuously for what would now be 10 years. Sadly, and by most or if not all of his contributions, he has yet to prove himself otherwise....

As a reminder. If this gets too political the thread will be moved to the Off Topics section. And as everyone should realize, the next step would be the DZ.

I would think that those on both sides of the Tuning vs Environment discussion should realize that it is in the general member interest to keep the information out where it is easily available.

Not everyone that has a vested interest in the letter may receive a copy. I wouldn't want any member to surprised that they can no longer use their Sprinter at re-registration time.

:2cents: vic

vanski

Sounds like you picked a fight with the dumb big kid on the play ground.. NEVER do that! Make sure they’re dumb and small.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
This letter and the action it represents is only applicable to CA. However, these devices also violate the federal Clean Air Act in exactly the same way, so we can all hopefully look forward to the other shoe dropping.

Sinatorj

if the shoe fits...
But who knows, maybe i'm just a hick.

vanski

we Californians love hicks.. most 'native' Californians either are or were complete hicks. Come on out and I'll show you rural areas of California that make Appalachia country look like the Ritz!

and that shoe is actually a glove.. so stop trying to put it on your foot because it just won't ever fit..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom