Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

Old 10-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
sp99drac9r

Question Swivel seat adapters: you get what you pay for?

Hello,
I've been scanning the posts for awhile to pick up the common wisdom on swivel seat adapters. Looks like there plenty of variables to consider, including whether you have a suspension seat or not (I don't) and whether and how you want to try to deal with the approximately 2" increase in seat height that typically results (I'm okay with 2" increase). My needs are pretty simple and I'm not looking to do anything fancy like install Westfalia seats in place of the factory units, etc. I'm just looking to rotate my factory seats to face backwards so I can use them for living, working and eating as well as driving.

So it looks like the Sportscraft seats installed in this post:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...ghlight=swivel

are the preferred brand of many. Some indicate Eurocampers (http://www.eurocampers.com) are often quoted as the recommended source for the swivel seat adapters, but their prices are at least $205, whereas at SprinterAccessories.com they list for $179 and at DiscountVanTruck they list for $174.

Does anyone have experience with the other options? I obviously would like to go with the cheaper option provided the product is the same and the service is good.

Thanks!!
sp99drac9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Default Re: Swivel seat adapters: you get what you pay for?

Be aware, these are pre-shipping charge prices. I've seen shipping typically running close to $100 per pair. Make sure you are comparing delivered price not just the asking price.

If you find a smoking deal, please share, I'm ready to order the same. Currently EuroCamper seems to be the best deal; however, I may try to co-buy with someone else locally and see if we can get a break on the massive shipping charges.

Keith
Hikinginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
sp99drac9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikinginpdx View Post

If you find a smoking deal, please share, I'm ready to order the same. Currently EuroCamper seems to be the best deal; however, I may try to co-buy with someone else locally and see if we can get a break on the massive shipping charges.

Keith
I will try to contact EuroCamper and DiscountRV tomorrow and get total invoice prices. It seems that folks lean towards EuroCamper even though list price is about $40 higher. I'll share anything I learn.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
sp99drac9r

So it looks like there are two different price points of swivel seat adapters on the market. There's the Sportscraft units that are sold by Eurocampers.com for about $205 plus shipping. Then there are units sold by www.discountvantruck.com for $174. According to them, these are of their own manufacture. Interestingly, they do not distinguish between passenger and driver side. Does anyone have any experience with these units??

www.sprinteraccessories.com sell theirs for about $179, and it looks like they may be the Sportscraft units.

Hikinginpdx, shipping to the SF bay area looks a lot cheaper than shipping to your area for some reason, I'm being quoted between $32 or $50.
The Following User Says Thank You to sp99drac9r For This Useful Post:
wilf0rd (04-20-2017)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

I think they like you better!

Linda at discountvans is checking on the rise of theirs. The others add 48mm, thats like 1.89". The shipping she quoted was only $38 which puts theirs at $386 delivered for the pair. I'm assuming the the shipping you quoted here is for a pair and not single peices. If it is per peice that matchs the $98 a pair shipping I was quoted.

I too would love to hear from anyone that has had experience with discount van's product... The handle appears to be a straight bar and they claim it doesn't interfer with the parking brake. For about $75 less, is it worth it?

Keith
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
d_bertko

I got my swivel from DiscountVanTruck. At the time it was $129---considerably cheaper than the euro model. It is heavy duty. It differs from the euro model in that the swivel is centered and not offset. Thus it works either side at the expense of having to crack the door for a moment to complete the turn. No biggie. It added 39mm to the seat height--better than the euro and useful for my shortish wife. Note that the rear floor is lower than the passenger area.

I needed to lightly file one of the swivel adaptor holes. Maybe an uncommon event.

The swivel was a great addition and it has held up well.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikinginpdx View Post
I think they like you better!

Linda at discountvans is checking on the rise of theirs. The others add 48mm, thats like 1.89". The shipping she quoted was only $38 which puts theirs at $386 delivered for the pair. I'm assuming the the shipping you quoted here is for a pair and not single peices. If it is per peice that matchs the $98 a pair shipping I was quoted.

I too would love to hear from anyone that has had experience with discount van's product... The handle appears to be a straight bar and they claim it doesn't interfer with the parking brake. For about $75 less, is it worth it?

Keith
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to d_bertko For This Useful Post:
Hikinginpdx (10-09-2009), jgulley (05-27-2015), seans (01-09-2016), sp99drac9r (10-10-2009), Sprintermike16 (06-07-2015), vacilando (03-17-2016), Whippet (07-01-2015), yosprinter (09-23-2011)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Great feedback Dan,

I never realized that the others were offset. I assume the reason you need to open the door is the seatback run hits the door panel. If the seatback is raised does it still require the door to be opened a bit to turn?

Thanks again

Keith
Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
sp99drac9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bertko View Post
I got my swivel from DiscountVanTruck. At the time it was $129---considerably cheaper than the euro model. It is heavy duty. It differs from the euro model in that the swivel is centered and not offset. Thus it works either side at the expense of having to crack the door for a moment to complete the turn. No biggie. It added 39mm to the seat height--better than the euro and useful for my shortish wife. Note that the rear floor is lower than the passenger area.
Hi Dan, do you have heated seats? In HKpierce's swivel adapter installation note (re-attached here for reference), he mentions that the SportCraft adapters rotate on a tubular bearing that allows wiring to pass through. By the way I've learned a lot from your posts. I'll have more for you regarding L-track and nutserts soon. Many thanks for sharing your experience!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SwivelSeatMounts.pdf (625.7 KB, 1176 views)
Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
d_bertko

My seats are plain-janes. The discountvan pivot does not have a pass-through on mine. I'll note that the company offered several flavors including one for power seats IIRC.

I do put the seat upright to aid the swivel clearance. I'd think that the euro swivel would also require a fairly upright position.

This brings up another story. The red plastic handle to adjust the passenger seat back cracked on my 02. I think the replacement parts were very dear. The Sprinter parts guy and I both agreed a small vise grip would be way cheaper. Turns out the vise grip works much batter than the original handle. Plus you always got an essential tool available!

sp99drac9r:
Looking forward to seeing your track ideas. Mine have proven their worth several times as I've redesigned the hinged benches and added and subtracted some half-baked creations.
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_bertko For This Useful Post:
hobieoutback (01-20-2014)
Old 10-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #10
Krenovian

I recently purchased a set of Sporcraft swivel bases from Eurocampers to put in my 2008 140 High Roof 2500. I have suspension seats with the short base. For the passenger side the install went smoothly other than having to use a cutting bit on a Dremel tool to elongate two of the holes on the swivel base so they would align with holes on the original seat base. I followed moto19's suggestions for mounting and modification found here:
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...?t=6487&page=3

moto19's suggestions work great to get a Sportcraft swivel base to work with a passenger suspension seat. Thanks Randy!! As mentioned earlier the Sportcraft base pivot is offset. You do have to have the seat in an upright position to rotate it. I found that the seat base still interferes with the door panel requiring the passenger door to be opened. This can be fixed by grinding away about 1/4" of the base where it hits the door panel. Since you have regular seats and I assume the higher seat base, the door interference may not be a problem. With respect to the added height I found that when the seat is facing the back of the van my feet barely touch the floor. I'm not exactly tall at 5' 8". Facing forward the added height isn't an issue.

It is another story when it comes to the driver side. Even though the swivel base comes with an adapter to lower the parking brake this doesn't solve the problem. The pylon which the parking brake mounts to is high enough on the low seat base that it interferes with the swivel base. For the Sportcraft swivel base to work with the low seat base the pylon will need to be removed and reattached in a lower position; no small task. I realize that you probably have the higher seat base in which case this isn't an issue, but I'm posting this for anyone who may have the low seat base.

I went with Eurocampers as I had read a negative post about Sprinteraccessories in this forum when I was researching swivel bases. Eurocampers' price was the best I could find for the Sportcraft bases once the cost of shipping was added.

Curt
Krenovian is offline   Reply With Quote