Is it true Cruise Control cannot be added to 2019's w/o steering wheel controls?

dynaco1

Is it true MS1 Cruise Control cannot be added by dealer to 2019's w/o C6L Multi-function sterring controls? There are many 2019 vans sitting on dealer lots w/o C6L and without MS1 cruise control.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Is it true MS1 Cruise Control cannot be added by dealer to 2019's w/o C6L Multi-function sterring controls? There are many 2019 vans sitting on dealer lots w/o C6L and without MS1 cruise control.
Probably. The harness to the steering wheel with Multi-function controls probably has the cruise wire in it along with the many others, whereby the the non version would only have horn & airbag ones..... $$$

JIB

Also, I've heard (UNSUBSTANTIATED) that things like LED head lights can't be added because they have to be programmed into the ECU. Cruise may be the same?

Jack

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In the (now ancient) T1Ns, "cruise control" was already programmed in to the ECU, all it took to activate was a bit-flip on the encrypted "what they paid for" data word.

Although i agree that MB may require other options be in place to provide for Cruise, i'd be very surprised if reprogramming figured (too far) into it. They'd have to get each variation of "programming" passed during EPA certification (*)

--dick
(*) ... yeah, i'm well aware of Dieselgate ... but they'd still have to at least file the paperwork for each program variation.

HarryN

Why would anyone purchase a modern vehicle without cruise control?

I guess the second question is - how hard it this to add to a vehicle that doesn't have it?

I guess the second question is - how hard it this to add to a vehicle that doesn't have it?
Mechanical one that keeps the gas pedal pressed at a specific rate..not so much. An electronic one would be probably be harder than installing solar, cabinets, floors, insulation combined.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

Fleets would opt-out. It's all aboooot cost. There is no return on investment for this item.

Can you provide any citations for these fuel benefits?

Fleets that run in urban areas do not use or need cruise.
I think you should provide the citations since its you who believes electronic throttle application by a computer which can adjust itself hundreds of thousands times a second at the highest injector precision is not more fuel efficient than the right foot of a fleet vehicle driver wearing a sketchers boot with an uneven sole.

Personal account : my tacoma gets 3mpg better while cruise control is on.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
My silverado gets about 2mpg less on the freeway with cruise control on. That is versus me actively trying to get the best mileage with it off, but my cruise control downshifts way too much and runs it up past the set mph. It has a heavy foot.

My silverado gets about 2mpg less on the freeway with cruise control on. That is versus me actively trying to get the best mileage with it off, but my cruise control downshifts way too much and runs it up past the set mph. It has a heavy foot.
It is good to see both sides of the story. In your case I'd put the blame on the chevy cruise design engineers and badly coded transmission software. Does not change the reality that you get worse gas milage with it, its not the technology but its implementation in this case.

cacaw

For anyone who does a bit of highway driving, cruise control is a great tool - regardless of whether it hurts or improves fuel economy.

The new distance-following cruise control makes driving way more relaxing, particularly in stop and go traffic.

For anyone who does a bit of highway driving, cruise control is a great tool - regardless of whether it hurts or improves fuel economy.

The new distance-following cruise control makes driving way more relaxing, particularly in stop and go traffic.
You said stop and go traffic. Conventional cruise won't work below like 20mph, does the active cruise in the mercedes van stop the van in stopped traffic and creep 5mph etc.. ? Because that would be an insanely good system for me. Combined with active lane assist I can basically take a nap :)

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
You said stop and go traffic. Conventional cruise won't work below like 20mph, does the active cruise in the mercedes van stop the van in stopped traffic and creep 5mph etc.. ? Because that would be an insanely good system for me. Combined with active lane assist I can basically take a nap :)
I watched a video review where it kept up with traffic and changing speeds and brought him to a stop. It did not start back up when the car in front moved. Not sure if he did something wrong, but I can see legal issues with a vehicle moving forward from a stop by itself. Hopefully I'm wrong.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
Adding a factory cruise control can be anywhere from easy to nearly impossible, depending on the manufacturer. For Mercedes, I'd guess it's toward the impossible end, since Mercedes is not known for making anything easy.

Back in the day, I installed an aftermarket cruise control on my first car - a 1974 Mercury Capri. It wasn't that hard - glue a magnet to the drive shaft, attached a sensor so it could pick up the magnet spinning, attach a cable to the carb so the cruise control could pull on it, then wire up all of the bits. Took maybe a couple of hours.

On a Sprinter, the hard part would be finding a place for the cable to pull and control the "go" pedal. I guess you'd have to find a way to pull on the pedal itself, since it's an entirely electronic pedal. Seeing as most modern cars have an electronic gas pedal, I'd guess that current aftermarket cruise controls have that part figured out somehow.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I think you should provide the citations since its you who believes electronic throttle application by a computer which can adjust itself hundreds of thousands times a second at the highest injector precision is not more fuel efficient than the right foot of a fleet vehicle driver wearing a sketchers boot with an uneven sole.

Personal account : my tacoma gets 3mpg better while cruise control is on.
What a red herring!

Besides.... you are assuming that the goal of cruise control is FUEL EFFICIENCY. I again would need citations.....

cacaw

You said stop and go traffic. Conventional cruise won't work below like 20mph, does the active cruise in the mercedes van stop the van in stopped traffic and creep 5mph etc.. ?
Yeah!!! My Mazda CX9 had a very well implemented adaptive cruise control feature but it turned off when speed dropped below 14 mph. You should have seen me maneuvering, trying to keep my speed above 14.

Picked up the Sprinter in Los Angeles and drove to Ventura on rush hour PCH. I was blown away; the Sprinter will pace the vehicle ahead, down to a complete stop, and then start moving when traffic starts moving again. It does time out though - after about 15(?) seconds it won't restart. But the good news is that all you have to do is touch the Resume button and it gets going again. You don't have to sit on the brake and then use the accelerator like the Mazda.

Makes me want to get a job where I'd need to commute!

I've got to say though, the lane keeping assist on the Mazda was way better. The steering wheel would vibrate and then it would gently steer you back into the lane. With the Sprinter, it brakes fairly suddenly and just generally feels like something's gone horribly wrong with the traction control or something. I'd be leery of having that active on icy roads; could be just enough to send the vehicle into a slide.

Top Bottom