Changing backing plates

lindenengineering

Yes they are and you will need a kit plus a peg wrench to remove the crenelated nut.
Take into account one side has an L/H thread .
Dennis

Crenelated:-
In other words castellated style.:laughing:
Dennis

B

billintomahawk

Yes that's it!
The peg wrench nut torque is 95 lbf ft.
Dennis
Sweet jesus and mama help me!
A peg wrench? That's really funny!

Do you substitute big cold chisel or??

I just wanted to do a simple brake job and this '02 Sprinter is an exercise in the mysterious.

As in what calipers(chose one of three) and which rotors(chose on of two) and what quality for pads and rotors and sweet jesus, "How much money d'you say?"

And now I need a special wrench and new bearings and 95 ft/lbs(I weigh 135 lbs.).
All because the dust shield is rotted.

Got a strange feeling there will be some special modifications to be made.

Another 'special case'.

And all I really wanted for Christmas was an emergency brake.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

Well "my oh my" substitution is mentioned for a tool as posted .:lol:
The moment I see such evidence I see bodge.:thumbdown:

The peg wrench AND the crenelated nut is the same as found on a 2002 Dodge PU with 5,9 Cummins and 6 speed manual box.
The nut in question is to be found holding the rear main shaft in place, and if you use "unconventional means" to tighten it up the 250 lbf ft it will come lose and you will lose gears !
(Plus the crunchies !)

The wonders of fixing a motor vehicle. Every tool for every job!
Found in my fine English leather bound brass buggery box!:thumbup: Dontcha-know
Dennis

B

billintomahawk

Dennis i so completely agree.

Well Tomahawk is a working town with a paper mill, logging operations, farming, a prison, 2 or 3 welding shops.
In a town of 3 thousand we had 33 bars. They made prostitution illegal in the 40's.
We are smack in the middle of the 7th congressional district and have the largest percentage of registered white voters in the USA.
There is no cultural diversity and very little culture in general. Mostly Dutch and German, a few French.

We are short on women.
It's a place you love or leave.

My friend Fuzzy is running his own shop in what used to be the Oldsmobile garage and he flat told me to pry open the wallet and let him do it,
I said why and he said 200 work days a year, one brake job a day(sometimes 4-5) times 40+ years. That's like 8,000 brake jobs for him alone and that's not counting Brian or Romero who probably have that same number between them.

So I give up and yes we will find the wrench, thanks for the tip.

Summit racing might get a call.

bill

I'd hate to see anyone bodge into a Dodge bearing change blindly like I did. :rolleyes:

There may be some ideas and tips here for a proper DIY bodge.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28817

:cheers: vic

Added:
Note that I needed to relieve out my back plate a bit for proper fit. Check the back plate fit before reassembly. Still werkin' fine. 6 years now.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

RECENT ARTICLE--- ADJ TIMES JALALABAD.

Letters to the editors translated from Urdu/Pastun.

سپرنٹر درا کی مرمت کرتے ہیں تو وہ ہمارے جیسے ہی نظام کو استعمال کرتے ہیں!
سب سے دلچسپ بات یہ ہے کہ ہمارے ہاں یہ سب کچھ مشترک ہے ، یہ ایک حیرت انگیز جگہ یہاں تک کہ گرین کاغذ کے پیسوں سے بھی وہ ڈالر کہتے ہیں!
جنت میں خدا کی حمد ہو!

یہ اس برطانوی آدمی کے بہت بڑے برعکس ہے جو اسی سال پہلے لینڈروور نامی ایک اچھی کار کے ساتھ فکسنگ میں آیا تھا! میں سوچوں گا کہ بڑھتی ہوئی پوست کے ل it اچھا ہوگا۔

اس کے پیچھے ، اس کے پاس سارے چمڑے کا بڑا باکس تھا جسے اس نے پیتل بگری باکس کی طرح کچھ کہا تھا ، میں اس اصطلاح کو نہیں سمجھتا تھا ، نیز آپ کی انگلیوں کو وہاں سے دور رکھیں!
میں سب سے زیادہ الجھن میں تھا۔
میں نے مقامی اسکول میں انگریزی کے لئے پوچھا کہ اس کا کیا مطلب ہے - کوئی نہیں جانتا ہے!
بہت عجیب!
اس کے پاس وہ سارے ٹولز ہیں جنہیں میں نے اپنی زندگی میں پہلے کبھی نہیں دیکھا تھا ، اس میں ہینڈ پریس بشمول پیکاوانٹن یا اس طرح کی کوئی چیز نہیں ہے۔

ہر وقت جب اس نے چا جی کو ہندوستان سے اس پی جی ٹپس سے کھدی ہوئی لکڑی کے خانے میں کھڑا کیا تھا - جس میں سب سے زیادہ عیش و آرام کی لیکن مجھے فاطمہ کو وادی کے نیچے بھیجنا پڑا "حلیب" افسوس دودھ!

یہ واقعی بہت جلد واقعی میں فکس ہوگئی تھی اور ہم سب نے چا Englishی انگریزی طرز کے ساتھ فکسنگ وین منائی!
راشد میرا بیٹا ورکشاپ کے لئے ملکہ وکٹوریہ کی میرے دادا کے گھر سے تصویر لینے گیا تھا - وہ ملکہ وکٹوریہ کا بہت عمدہ ذکر کرتا تھا۔

برطانوی فکسنگ انسان ایک بار پھر "بدسورت پرانا بیگ" کہنے سے متاثر نہیں ہوا ، میں سب سے زیادہ الجھن میں ہوں!
بدصورت پرانا بیگ کیا ہے؟
ہم نے کیا غلط کیا لیکن ہم سب نے اس جگہ سے کھانا کھایا تھا لہذا ہر کوئی بہت خوش ہو!
وان طیبہ فاطمہ کو خوش تو زندگی اچھی ہے جنت میں خدا کی تعریف کی جائے۔
علی۔

RECENT ARTICLE--- ADJ TIMES JALALABAD.

Letters to the editors translated from Urdu/Pastun.

Mr Editor Ali I have noted when repair Sprinter axle in Amerika they employ very same system as we do!
Most interesting we have much in common, this wonderful place even with a green paper money they call Dollars !
God in heaven be praised !

This is in big very big contrast to British man who came to fixing fixing the same same same years ago with very nice car called Landrover ! I would think it would be good for growing poppies .

In back, he had big box all leather he called something like brass buggery box, I didn't understand that terminology, plus keep yur eefing fingers out of there !
I was most confused.
I asked at the local school for English what all this meant --no-one knew !
Very strange!
He has all the tools I have never seen before in my life, including this hand press called Picavantin or something like that.

All time he asked make Chai with this PG Tips from India he have in carved wood box --Owh most luxurious but I had to send Fatima down the valley to get "halib" sorry milk!

It was fixed, very quickly very quickly indeed and we all celebrated fixing van with Chai English style!
Rashid my son went to find picture from my great grandfather house had of Queen Victoria for the workshop--he used to mention Queen Victoria very nice Man.

British fixing man not impressed saying "ugly old bag" once again I am most confused!
What is ugly old bag?!
What did we do wrong but we all had food from this place so everyone very happy !
Van fixed, Fatima happy making money, so no nagging like a thousand serpents in bed so life is good! God in heaven be praised.
Ali

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07xz0FHjBTA

B

billintomahawk

GS.
Thanks for that. Very encouraging.

I am desperately trying to understand what is holding the dust shield in place??

Looks like you can just pull it off over the emergency brake shoes.
Mine are rusted to uselessness.
I would really like to replace them.

bill

GS.
Thanks for that. Very encouraging.

I am desperately trying to understand what is holding the dust shield in place??

Looks like you can just pull it off over the emergency brake shoes.
Mine are rusted to uselessness.
I would really like to replace them.

bill
The back plate aka splash shield is clamped between the assembly. To my knowledge there is no way to replace the unmodified OEM back plate without removing the axle half shaft assembly and pulling the bearing.

The back plate provides surfaces to hold the parking brake shoes in proper position at rest.

My 2006 back plates have rusted, but so far are intact and functional enough that I don't feel the need to replace them. NYS has an annual safety and emissions inspection. Parking brakes being functional are part of the requirements. (I support annual safety inspections for vehicles. Otherwise some owners are too lax about brake and suspension system maintenance.)

If the rear back plates are replaced have the bearings, seals, gasket (or suitable sealant) on hand. A spare wheel speed sensor on hand in case one gets damaged during the work is probably worth the purchase price.

:cheers: vic

Gaspiper

There you go Bill , Vic answered your question !
I got the “ New” Meyle bearing kits today but one of them look like they’ve been overfilled with grease with a non sealed bag , bearing is in three pieces & a sealed bolts bag where the second bearing is still sealed with loose bolts which are missing their bag . I am not sure if I would use them at this point

Attachments

B

billintomahawk

Thanks for the pictures GS.
I am going to try to run naked without the full on splash shields.
We will trim back the old ones during the brake job.

I've got my fingers crossed.
FWIW it is taking my local auto parts store about a week to get in some Bosch rebuilt calipers with new hanging brackets.
They will be about $80 each w/o pads.
Pads came in a day.

I have taken a vow never to run my old van in salt ever again.

bill

rollerbearing

Just spitballing here - but the new backing plates are relatively cheap - could one be cut in two, trimmed around the axle area, and then sistered to the old backing plate some how (weld, rivet, screw, glue)? Could give some splash protection, and solid mounting holes for e-brake retention springs.

Isn't the "right" way of fixiing it, but it might be the right choice in some situations.

glasseye

For some reason, I can't click on "thanks" for the Afghan street food video.

So, Dennis, THANKS! I wish I'd shot that video. :thumbup:

Meanwhile, today I begin my first brake job on Frito. The only previous install, I watched a pro do it. Trouble is, that was 80k miles ago. I wish I'd watched more carefully :idunno: :bash:

quillaja

2004 2500 140WB high roof
I'm also doing my brakes at the moment. Front was easy, but the Brembo pads didn't want to fit in the carrier on driver side, nor was there any clearance to put the fit the new pads back over the new rotor. The caliper piston was in all the way. Back also wasn't terrible, even the parking brakes. Getting the retracting springs on as a bit of a chore. I noticed that the front retracting spring presses up against the adjuster, both on the new hardware and the old.

Main bad thing for me is all the damn rust. Driver's side was a lot worse than passenger's side for whatever reason. I'm so tired of rust. My driver's side backing plate is pretty rusty, but mostly where the "dust protection" part of it is(was) welded to the rest. I'm going to try cleaning it up as much as possible, hitting it with metal prep, then attempt put a bunch of JB weld in to keep it together (followed by some chassis paint).

Top Bottom