sprinter transmission fluid check

prac1740

I have NO experience with Sprinter vans and need to know how to check the fluid level using the Mercedes dipstick, which I purchased today from the dealer. My customers serpentine belt broke going down the highway, and took out the trans cooler hose. He had it towed to our shop and we found out what happened. So I called the dealer for the fluid and the dipstick, and when we went to chreck the fluid, the dipstick doesn't go all the way in the tube? It is a 2006 2500 series Sprinter. Any help would be great.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
While these instructions are correct for NCV3s, I believe they apply to your customer's T1N Sprinter.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4688

The dipstick should "bottom out" with more than a couple of inches hanging out the top of the tube.

Confirm your dipstick looks similar to the one I've pictured. While there are several types that work with the transmissions of older and newer North American Sprinters, differing in handle shape and color, and differeing measuring, gradiated tip, they are all longer than "necessary" and -as far as I've been able to tell - built like a flexible cable/spring with a pointy, tip. The tips either have 6 hash marks or two.

I am wondering if they sold you the wrong dipstick.

For reference, about 45 1/2 inches from the top of the dipstick tube to the bottom of the pan (not a precise measurement). I've marked mine (pictured) with black tape after I dropped the pan, poked the tool down through the dipstick tube until the measuring portion protuded to the depth of the bottom of the pan.

-Jon

Attachments

Mr.Schmancy

408W/T56 in a Sprinter?:D
so if the dipstick bottoms out, why cant we just make one out of a piece of spring steel, or wire? I'm thinking tat gonna be a little bit cheaper than $50 :smirk:

can someone give me the measurements from the end of dipstick to the hash marks?

Top Bottom