side mirror surgery

white whale

Decide at the last minute to see if anything is harvestable before tossing. My convex had gone a while back and the big one had some chips along the edge.
If you want to remove yours....

push in bottom all the way in
flatblade or pry tool to push up, hand pull the rest of the way.

Turns out the reverse is also a mirror, Have not figured out show to separate yet. There is a hole
in the plastic frame that shows the mirror surface.
I doubt a glass shop would cut a shape like this, cheaply.

Will post again if I get the reverse side out, will be a pristine mirror at least.

Assume this was done to be cost effective with the supplier and install - universal fir for either side.

Ok, win for this part.

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Any semi-competent stained glass hobbyist/artist or shop should be able to cut it ... (heck, my wife could (i'd wobble a bit))
... you just need to appear with a sheet of the correct thickness mirror stock (or call, a shop may have it).

A few years ago there was a company that supplied many shapes and sizes to auto parts stores.
I bought one that was "close enough" to replace a missing mirror on my father-in-law's car.
(there may have even been a thread here about 8 years ago on hunting down 3rd party replacement mirrors)

The double-sided may be a weather-protection method for the silvered reflective surface.

I don't recall my mirror being double-sided when i had it out once.
(the backside was the heating pad)

--dick

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Decide at the last minute to see if anything is harvestable before tossing. My convex had gone a while back and the big one had some chips along the edge.
If you want to remove yours....

push in bottom all the way in
flatblade or pry tool to push up, hand pull the rest of the way.

Turns out the reverse is also a mirror, Have not figured out show to separate yet. There is a hole
in the plastic frame that shows the mirror surface.
I doubt a glass shop would cut a shape like this, cheaply.

Will post again if I get the reverse side out, will be a pristine mirror at least.

Assume this was done to be cost effective with the supplier and install - universal fir for either side.

Ok, win for this part.
Instead of using tools and risking chipping or breaking the mirror (in case you want to re-use it) push the TOP of the mirror all the way in then push the bottom of the glass UP with your fingers and slide the glass up around a quarter of an inch to unlatch it, then push the bottom fully in and remove the glass from the top.

This was the MB procedure in the instructions for fitting the top parabolic mirrors.

Keith.

Top Bottom