Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,226 Times in 9,030 Posts
Default Lube Grease Window Track and Parts

Greasing the window tracks without cleaning the old grease out has worked great. I didn't realize how much the 2004 crank windows were binding until the new grease freed everything up. I ass-u-me that the result is the same for the 2006 powered windows, but I don't really have a way to verify that.

A recent search for this information made me realize that it was somewhat buried in Cheap Tricks. It is an easy maintenance procedure and I feel worthwhile so I'm duplicating it in this separate thread.

Greasing the track slides should extend the service life of the powered window nylon slide slug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Lube Your Window Tracks and Parts

People have mentioned that the grease used on the window tracks hardens. I found that to be true on the 2004 manual windows, and the 2006 power windows.

The manual crank windows use a metal button slide. There is no plastic/nylon slug like is on the power windows.

I used wheel bearing grease on the slide track and gear teeth. I didn't clean the old grease out. The new grease will rejuvenate the old stuff. I oiled the crank shaft on the manual windows. I didn't see anything with the power window motors to service other than greasing the slides and gear teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
And it worked as planned.

The 2004 crank windows are now running up and down smooth as silk. To be honest I hadn't noticed how sticky they had become over the years.

I assume that the old grease also rejuvenated on the 2006 power window plastic slides, but I really don't have any way to test that other than removing the door panel for inspection. That's not worth the effort for me.

vic
An aside.
The 2004 window track came loose from the bottom of the window to clank down to the bottom of the door. That was what triggered me removing the door panel. Unless the glue had disappeared, it appears that the track rubber is a force fit to the window. I added some Goop glue when I reinstalled the track on the glass edge.

This is a power window Youtube video. It shows the trim removal and the bend trick to get a power window working after the plastic slide cracks.

Basically.
Remove top pillar trim by pushing/tapping the lower section toward the vent window.
Remove the pull handle cover trim.
Remove switch assembly and unplug connectors.
For manual windows: Push the inner plastic ring away from the knob to release the crank handle keeper.
Find 2 ea. T30 screws and remove. (One is in a deep and narrow recess.)
Unlatch lower storage hatch and swing open.
Grasp door panel and pull straight up to release clips.
For driver side power window:
Struggle to release the switch connectors past the latch cable.
For passenger side power window:
Easily work the single connector free past the door latch cable.

For lubing I just balanced the door panel on the open hatch door. More extensive work might require freeing the latch cable to completely remove the panel.

Because the driver side multiple connectors for windows and mirrors were difficult to get free past the door latch cable, I left them alone and lubed the track with the panel just partially out. The track lubing was no problem. I wasn't able to grease the gear teeth as well without better panel removal.

This Euro Cab Chassis double side door(?) model video has a different door panel from NAS aka NAFTA T1N's. It does show the manual crank handle release method at 1:10.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,437 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: Lube Grease Window Track and Parts

I would be inclined to use a dry type lubricant that would not attract dirt. But yes, lubricants do wonders for window mechanisms.

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 05-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,226 Times in 9,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
I would be inclined to use a dry type lubricant that would not attract dirt. But yes, lubricants do wonders for window mechanisms.
That may work.

There wasn't any noticeable dirt accumulated on the 2004 14 years 325,000 miles or the 2006 12 years 175,000 miles. As mentioned, I didn't clean off the hardened lube. That would be be a bit of a job. I used heavy duty wheel bearing grease with the idea that it would lube and also rejuvenate the existing grease. It seemed to work.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
MillionMileSprinter
Formerly Type2Teach

Thanked 1,533 Times in 858 Posts

Vans that are used for construction or live in or near the desert get dirty EVERYWHERE. Fedex/DHL vans are really bad about this, in my experience. Even behind the door and wall pannels! Privately owned vans are overall cleaner which helps explain why your window track grease wasn't too dirty. I've seen some pretty bad ones!
Regreasing is a great idea. I sell replacement Teflon sliders for when the assembly needs more than just grease!
'06 medium/short Silver Passenger 265k
Joel Sell
For HELP, SERVICE and MORE
Visit: www.millionmilesprinter.com
Cooling System Kit: https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/...n-life-cooling
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/million_mile_sprinter/
MMS YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuq...mQ8mWdgF1XpLhg
MillionMileSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote