Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
frostback
junior sprinter

Default Glow plug replacement questions

I'm nearing 130,000 miles and my glow plug lights been coming on. I read that this is about the lifespan of glowplugs on Sprinters so I figure its time to replace them. I know there are special pliers but I'd like to know what other tools, sockets etc I will need to swap these out.

Derek
frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frostback For This Useful Post:
Peyton's Express (12-05-2017)
Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
abittenbinder
Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Thanked 2,649 Times in 787 Posts
Default Re: Glow plug replacement questions

Proceed with caution. The pliers are simply used to make removal and reattchment of the electrical connector-relatively pain free. You can make up your own deep socket/universal joint/short extension combination to access the glow plugs themselves. You need to be forewarned that extraordinary dexterity and patience are called for - you need to be extremely careful when attempting to loosen the old glow plugs-they're quite slim and could shear, if seized in place. If that happens-well you know the rest. I would recommend you perform this procedure when cyl. head is quite warm and don't rush your work. Also be sure your problems are not caused by a faulty glow plug module. Andy
abittenbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abittenbinder For This Useful Post:
cousi (04-01-2016), dbdirectllc (11-02-2015), gasmithjr (12-30-2017), HelloPitty (05-20-2016), long1pham (09-20-2018)
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,854 Posts

Just a passing thought on the Glow plugs, as some owners may take quite some time to get to the use- by- date of the glow plugs, the longer they are in the more likelihood of one or two may freeze into the threaded bore.
it may pay to change them every two years or at the 50 thousand mark.
If one breaks! then the only way to fix them, is remove the head and drill them out with specialized tools, and thats an expensive exercise.
My suggestion would be to use Anti-Seize Lub, prior to installing the plugs, as a preventative cure to a big headache.
Richard.
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altered Sprinter For This Useful Post:
long1pham (09-20-2018), Palawna Sprinter (08-07-2011), Scampermobile (03-06-2017)
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
frostback
junior sprinter

Well I did the glow plug replacement this weekend and it went pretty smoothly. It is very tight especially the rear plug which took as long as the first 4 just because it's a long reach you can't see anything and it is really tight. I had to hunt down a 1/4 drive 10mm deep socket as I couldn't quite get my 3/8 drive on the rearmost plug. The pliers would have been nice but not required. I had to remove one fuel line to access the front plug. The old ones came out pretty good but I played it safe and never seized the new ones.

I had hoped the glow plug light would go out after this but it has not. Does it need to be reset or is it likely the relay that triggered the light? I wasn't sure it was the glow plugs but I figured 130000 miles is a good run for a glow plug. Repair through the process of elimination. It took me 3 hours which is the same amount of time it takes to get to my nearest Sprinter dealer.

Derek
frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frostback For This Useful Post:
lowprofile (11-26-2014)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
tegimr
2003 Pass 140 289000 mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Sprinter View Post
. . .
it may pay to change them every two years or at the 50 thousand mark.
If one breaks! then the only way to fix them, is remove the head and drill them out with specialized tools, and thats an expensive exercise.
. . .

Richard.
Well, for someone who purchased one and *TRUSTED* that the dealership would service correctly - trusted for too long , but is now back with the ratchet and sockets in hand - this is a odd place to find onself. With 115 K on the '03 one is risking an expensive repair to avert an expensive repair.

What to do, what to do . . .

Tim
tegimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
acvr4

I seem to have just started to have a problem with my #4 Glow plug & module -- that's the codes that pop up- have to love these Scan guages . It doesn't happen all the time just every once in while. I'm getting a set of new ones to change them but could there be a loose connection ? I'll be checking it either tonight or tomorrow but just checking for some heads up before hand.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
abittenbinder
Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Thanked 2,649 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvr4 View Post
I seem to have just started to have a problem with my #4 Glow plug & module -- that's the codes that pop up- have to love these Scan guages . It doesn't happen all the time just every once in while. I'm getting a set of new ones to change them but could there be a loose connection ? I'll be checking it either tonight or tomorrow but just checking for some heads up before hand.
The DTCs set by the glow plug module(also referred to as glow plug relay) are unreliable. An indication for a particular cylinders glow plug failure may involve a completely different cylinders glow plug OR non at all-it typically indicates a defective module. DC has FINALLY acknowledged this DTC problem in the latest release notes for the DRBIII sprinter memory card update. The module(relay) part# was 5103568AA and has superseded to 5170859AA-about $110.00 from Dodge. BTW, a defective glow plug can damage a new replacement module-so don't replace a specific single glow plug based on DTC info-then find the problem is still present -then replace the module only to have the undiagnosed defective glow plug destroy your new module. Doktor A
abittenbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abittenbinder For This Useful Post:
alfredo (03-11-2011), danpaul000 (03-11-2017), Dieseldoctor (07-15-2014), my splinter (04-20-2010), nahele (10-19-2011)
Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
tegimr
2003 Pass 140 289000 mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by abittenbinder View Post
. . . BTW, a defective glow plug can damage a new replacement module-so don't replace a specific single glow plug based on DTC info-then find the problem is still present -then replace the module only to have the undiagnosed defective glow plug destroy your new module. Doktor A
That seems odd (not to challenge Andy, but rather the engineering team) to make something that would fail on a defective glow plug. Does it extend to a failure of a glow-plug after it's installed?

Tim
tegimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
gerrym51
Idiot

how much is it to replace glo-plugs.

SAGE
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,774 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
how much is it to replace glo-plugs.
The glow plug itself is around $16.88 each + tax/shipping.

Price is here...

http://www.europarts-sd.com/get-pdf.php?f=sprinter.pdf

Seek
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glowplug