Man TGE high roof 4x4 van

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
They say the grass is always greener on the other side. I want to share a van that I wish we could get here in the U.S. It's a MAN TGE, based on the VW Crafter (which used to be built in the same factory as the Sprinter).

I like it over the 4x4 Sprinter because:
- in my opinion it has a much better 4WD system. It's a full-time 4WD with a more favorable torque-split (than Sprinter) AND a push-button locking rear diff.
- the Sprinter/Oberaigner 4WD requires a 4" BODY lift to make it work. The Crafter/TGE system was designed to go in the van and doesn't require a stupid tall body. A body lift nets you no more clearance under the axles than a 2WD van.
- twin turbo 4 cylinder engine. I'm so disappointed MB dropped the OM651 4 cylinder because it's a far better engine than the V6.
- 6-speed manual transmission. I'd give just about anything for this but know I'm the minority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B92RoUhSfs

I will take one in gray + a 2" suspension lift, please.

Sprinter 4x4

We have the vw version of this in the uk I have driven one and it’s very nice , but it’s not a 4x4 as such it’s front wheel drive when it detects wheel spin it then engages the haldex diff and puts drive to all wheels and applies the brakes to the spinning wheel . I feel totaly the opposite to you I want something higher off the ground as the bumpers hit ruts in the ground easily , so I have been waiting for the new sprinter 4x4 as it’s higher . The vw crafter is also now available in 4 motion with an 8 speed auto box it’s a lovely drive but expensive at around £50000 with a few options on it

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Wow, that is an interesting alternative. But is AWD really better than the 4x4 system of the sprinter?
The 4x4 system in the Sprinter is about as weak as a 4x4 system can be. 35/65 torque split, no all wheel drive mode, not shift on the fly (and not that easy to get in and out of 4WD), and no lockers. But in a 9.5' tall van, you're going to be limited by more than just the 4WD system, so it's good enough for most.

The TGE/Crafter is permanent all wheel drive and the Haldex center diff starts tranferring torque when slip is detected. It can send as much as 60% of it's torque to the front or rear, whichever has more traction. (The Sprinter can only send up to 35% to the front.) The TGE/Crafter also has a locking rear diff. I have one on my 4Runner and it's night-and-day from just being in 4WD. The TGE/Crafter would run circles around the Sprinter. That said, the TGE/Crafter could benefit from a small suspension lift, which would give it better clearance than the Sprinter's body-only lift.

Sprinter 4x4

The 4x4 system in the Sprinter is about as weak as a 4x4 system can be. 35/65 torque split, no all wheel drive mode, not shift on the fly (and not that easy to get in and out of 4WD), and no lockers. But in a 9.5' tall van, you're going to be limited by more than just the 4WD system, so it's good enough for most.

The TGE/Crafter is permanent all wheel drive and the Haldex center diff starts tranferring torque when slip is detected. It can send as much as 60% of it's torque to the front or rear, whichever has more traction. (The Sprinter can only send up to 35% to the front.) The TGE/Crafter also has a locking rear diff. I have one on my 4Runner and it's night-and-day from just being in 4WD. The TGE/Crafter would run circles around the Sprinter. That said, the TGE/Crafter could benefit from a small suspension lift, which would give it better clearance than the Sprinter's body-only lift.

Unless the one in the USA is different it isnt permanent 4 wheel drive it’s front wheel drive they might call it that but it’s not driving all the wheels all the time only when it detects wheel spin it then does as you say , having driven both the crafter 4 motion and sprinter 4x4 the sprinter is far better off road as the crafter bottoms out all the time . The only lift option hear in the uk is a seikle lift suspension,this only gives you an absolute maximum raise of 51 mm and that’s by then fitting bigger tyres it is an improvement but still not as good as the sprinters aproche and departure angles . I am currently waiting for the new model sprinter 4x4 to be available to drive before deciding which one to buy .The crafter is a very nice drive I love it but the ground clearance is a big issue with both front and rear bumpers hitting the ground , the sills also in the middle of the van will also bottom out very easily going over rough terrain, if you are just going to use it on the road then it’s not a problem , build quality on the vw is very good , and no rust issues like the sprinter , time will tell what the new one is like . I have several friends that have the new shape sprinters and they are experiencing quite a few problems mainly electrical issues with hand brakes and the Satnave system information centre thing

Wyuna

Yeah there isn't many lift Options for the new Crafter, but Seikel do make a nice balanced lift kit, which is normally a 30mm lift plus the option of oversized tires.

I believe its got to do with the CV Joints angle from what they told me.

I put the Seikel lift kit on my 2017 T6 Transporter Campervan and larger KO2's to get to a 48mm lift, (i can't go more than 50mm here legally without a ****load of testing and paperwork) it hasn't let me down yet.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I like it over the 4x4 Sprinter because:
- in my opinion it has a much better 4WD system. It's a full-time 4WD with a more favorable torque-split (than Sprinter) AND a push-button locking rear diff.
- the Sprinter/Oberaigner 4WD requires a 4" BODY lift to make it work. The Crafter/TGE system was designed to go in the van and doesn't require a stupid tall body. A body lift nets you no more clearance under the axles than a 2WD van.
- twin turbo 4 cylinder engine. I'm so disappointed MB dropped the OM651 4 cylinder because it's a far better engine than the V6.
- 6-speed manual transmission. I'd give just about anything for this but know I'm the minority.
Are you kidding? I'd love at least a 7-speed transmission and 8 or 9 would be even better. It'd significantly reduce the turbo lag, accelerate better, have a higher top speed, have improved fuel economy and thus range, as well as run quieter and reduce emissions. I feel that the Sprinter 5-speed transmission is one of it's greatest faults, along with the associated turbo lag. And the second being that 4-wheel drive can't be shifted in and out on the fly.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Gearing makes a huge difference. When I drove the 4 cyl/7-speed and the V6/5-speed Sprinters back-to-back, the 4 cylinder version felt like an entire generation newer vehicle. I couldn't believe the difference. And for fuel economy, I get close to 50% better fuel economy than a Sprinter 4x4 V6. Now if we could just have an AWD Sprinter WITH the 4 cylinder diesel...

Ed463

I really like the look of these. I just spoke with someone who has both a 4x4 Sprinter and a MAN. He rates the MAN higher, to be expected I guess it's a far newer design.
The only downside with the MAN being the lack of a reduction gear. But apparently this is in development.
Surprisingly good value as well. I've found one with 400miles on it for $47k.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wyuna

Yeah i do like the front end of the Crafter/Man more than the new Sprinter.

As for Low gearing in the 4 motion, I've seen what the Amorak 4 Motion can do, and i think that's is the same set up as this, so i wouldn't be too concerned

Although a Low gearing option would be nice to go with the diff locking option

Wyuna

They just announced the pricing for the 4 Motion Crafter here in Aus, it’s an extra $4500 AUD over the FWD version.

The diff lock option from factory was around $1300 from memory, I don’t have the option price list as I’m on the road.

Just have to wait to see how they price the sprinter 4X4/AWD option, when they release the pricing here, before I decide for my next build.

Mathewst

I was looking at crafter but big problem in it is internal height. With mid height option whilr 4x4 system reduces internal height so much I wouldnt stand in van with 2cm roof isolation. This is not an issue with sprinter.

Top Bottom