S44 Connector

rvnw

I recently bought a 2002 140 wb Sprinter and it has a connector labeled s44 that I found behind a small storage area on the left side of the steering wheel. Anyone know what this connector is for?

D

Deleted member 50714

I recently bought a 2002 140 wb Sprinter and it has a connector labeled s44 that I found behind a small storage area on the left side of the steering wheel. Anyone know what this connector is for?
Pictures?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Wire colors? (most helpful in identifying things)(photo arrived while writing this: white with red stripe)
((second intense stare showed a lengthwise green stripe)) ... so it's either DG/WT/RD or WT/DG/RD in MB-speak.
Which country are you in?

2003 (close enough) US service manual, wiring diagrams (but not "S44" type numbering) are section 8W.
There are "connector pin-out" pages showing the shapes and wire colors of the connectors.

Given the colors ... give me a couple of minutes to dig a bit...
(the brown is "ground")

added: by the 2003 service manual, it doesn't appear to be speakers.

My memory from another search is that the "S44" is a switch connector designation.
So it could be a rare instance of something in the harness for an option you don't have.
It's also very rare for there to be a switch without the additional wiring for illumination of the switch.

added after more digging: if what i'm seeing as "white" is really "gray" (thus GY/DG/RD), it could be the lighting circuit to the security system's Panic Alarm switch. (page 8w-39-7 of the 2003 service manual).
..but lacking the additional two wires for the Panic button itself.

Ahhh... GY/DG/RD is the general "light the switches (and lights)" circuit ... the same colors (and only 2 wires) and pin assignments (it looks like 1 and 3?) go to the ash tray lamp.

--dick

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Ahhh... GY/DG/RD is the general "light the switches (and lights)" circuit ... the same colors (and only 2 wires) and pin assignments (it looks like 1 and 3?) go to the ash tray lamp.

--dick
So is it only 'hot' when the panel lamps are illuminated?

And does it 'dim' when the panel lamps are dimmed? (Using the - and + buttons in the speedo binnacle).

Keith.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Does it dim? It depends where it's sourced from.

The ash tray light comes (via the daytime running lights relay) directly from the battery. No dimming.
(page 8w-44-11 in the service manual)

--dick

Last edited:

rvnw

Wire colors gray, green, red dots
The other is brown.

So is this just a connector for a light? Seems strange!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Wire colors gray, green, red dots
The other is brown.
And they're into pin sockets 1 and 3? (vs 1 and 2)
So is this just a connector for a light? Seems strange!
Well, what came out of that rectangular hole?

If it was an ash tray, then they had to provide power to its illumination somehow.

--dick

rvnw

The thing that came out was a small storage piece of plastic. But maybe there was an option for a driver side ash tray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quillaja

2004 2500 140WB high roof
Looks like it might be for that dial in the dash just above. I don't recall exactly what the wiring looked like, but when I had my dash apart recently, that "headlight angle" dial has a connector just like that. The other dash and center panel buttons have similar connectors, obviously with different pin-outs.

The cubby isn't for an ash tray AFAIK. It's just a cubby for stuff. The ECU sits right below it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The headlamp angle adjustment switch uses a single 10-pin connector (with only 3 wires):
Gray/Green/Rd coming in, (on pin 9)
Brown (pin 2) to ground
and
Violet/White coming out (pin 5) as four levels of voltage (tapped from the switch illumination power on pin 9) for controlling the angle.

--dick

Top Bottom