Failed Annual Emissions Test - UK

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
Failed smoke emisions on annual vehicle test (UK-MOT test)

I think I have these numbers correct...

Must be below 0.50 1/m and average came out at 0.61 1/m

so not much improvement needed to get back within limits.

I think this happened because new diesel regulations came in May this year.

I am going to try 3 things before re-test....

1: New air filter
2: Fuel additive to clean injecters etc.
3: Because I usually drive a max 2100 rpm the tester suggested I take it for a blast
up the motorway like I stole it to clear out the system.

Is there anything else I could do that I've not thought of?

Any fuel additive recommendations in UK?

I drive similar to you as to being generally light on the throttle. I agree that some good thrashing while driving may help.

FWIW.
I had a wonky, but not completely bad O2 sensor on the 2004 OM647 2.7L. All seemed to run fine. At night during acceleration up freeway ramps I would sometimes notice a bit of haze behind me. I eventually changed to a Bosch branded O2 sensor. The acceleration haze went away with the new sensor. Nothing else was changed.

They do say that O2 sensors can go off value over time. I don't know if an O2 sensor is considered a wear part though.

:cheers: vic

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
What are the min max figures on the opacity and it didn't fail on NOx did it?
Dennis

These are the results of the test. It looks like they average out six attemps

TEST SMOKE SMOKE TEMP
K(1/m) Min Max
1 0.76 32 42
2 1.10 33 48
3 0.64 35 46
4 0.60 35 46
5 0.63 35 50
6 0.61 35 48

Oil Temperature: 85 deg C
Average Reading: 0.61 1/m FAIL
Test Applied: Plate value (Limit: 0.50 1/m)
Plate Value: 0.50 1/m
Drift Value: 0.00 1/m

I found out that the Plate value is the one printed on the step well plate from the factory.

I must admit, I don't know how I missed all the press about the on coming stricter
MOT test that started in May 2018

Government Website:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...or-mot-testers/diesel-vehicle-emission-limits

Last edited:

lindenengineering

These are the results of the test. It looks like they average out six attemps

TEST SMOKE SMOKE TEMP
K(1/m) Min Max
1 0.76 32 42
2 1.10 33 48
3 0.64 35 46
4 0.60 35 46
5 0.63 35 50
6 0.61 35 48

Oil Temperature: 85 deg C
Average Reading: 0.61 1/m FAIL
Test Applied: Plate value (Limit: 0.50 1/m)
Plate Value: 0.50 1/m
Drift Value: 0.00 1/m

I found out that the Plate value is the one printed on the step well plate from the factory.

I must admit, I don't know how I missed all the press about the on coming stricter
MOT test that started in May 2018

Government Website:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...or-mot-testers/diesel-vehicle-emission-limits
Wow how did you miss that??

OK obviously I don't have a scanner on your van, so using my general approach to resolving the E test failures here in Colorado more or less mirrors closely what my brother does in Gloucestershire.

Firstly take into account that the sensors on the engine set the base fueling so any appreciable drift will cause excess smoke emission that has to be controlled by the DPF etc.
The max tolerance across ALL the readings in KOEO condition is 25HPa.
Once I see more than 10 HPa I focus on why.

Now such things as mild turbo boost pressure leaks, secure and not leaking fresh air intake pipe & compensator ring connector at the turbo will affect MAF readings. In many instances can be seen to be down in flow when the engine is running and air flow observed.
Often my first looksee is MAF air flow in Mg/Hub. If I see 200ish readings the engine will run OK & not throw a code, but the figure should be more in the 400 ish plus range. Put that right for example and you will have an instant measurable right foot response in engine performance.

Another step is to look at the engine OBD2 monitors a "must do" in any case whether you are working on petrol or diesel engines & repairing E problems. A cheap reader like a Launch C reader is great for this. My first port of plug in diagnostics in any diagnostic check before bringing the expensiveness "mamu" scanners to bear. Is any monitor out or running in inclusive--a direct pointer to a potential engine management & emissions driveability issue in the making.
https://launchtechusa.com/cr5plus/

Now a few paragraphs on internal engine carbon build up.
The flow into the engine is biased to the left side head as you open the bonnet.
After about 150,00 miles, the inlet manifolds and porting get heavily coated in carbon and sludge deposits. A professional upper cylinder purge can be very beneficial to opening up the engine to allow it to breath properly as it once did drastically improving combustion and cleaning up the exhaust gases. I use the BG method, which also adds a bottle of carbon stripper to the engine oil and used during the 1 hour idle purge operation. Obvious then an oil change with filter is absolutely necessary because it really rips carbon out of the engine being a phosphorus based nasty chemical.
See if you can find a shop in your area to do this.
This is what I use with some astonishing results:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQEklLG_D0

All the best & i hope this will help.
Dennis

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
Wow! Thank you Dennis for your really useful info and the video.

A lot of what you said went over my head a bit, but I will work through it.

I don't even know how to interpret or understand what the numbers mean in the test results

Looks like I might need some help on this one. Thank you.

lindenengineering

Wow! Thank you Dennis for your really useful info and the video.

A lot of what you said went over my head a bit, but I will work through it.

I don't even know how to interpret or understand what the numbers mean in the test results

Looks like I might need some help on this one. Thank you.
Oh I love this stuff its what makes me get out of bed in the morning and go fix in me auld age!

EST SMOKE SMOKE TEMP
K(1/m) Min Max
1 0.76 32 42
2 1.10 33 48
3 0.64 35 46
4 0.60 35 46
5 0.63 35 50
6 0.61 35 48

The l st column is the simulated distance traveled on the rolling road (treadmill) under load.
& the duration of test.
The min is the readings at low engine speed and obviously the second is the max readings at full power torque generation .
The test kit is most likely reading the opacity of the exhaust gas in Bosch units as they are here in the USA.

Here's some bedtime reading--wife permitting of course !:-
https://nptel.ac.in/courses/112104033/lecture12/12_5.htm
Dennis

Ed463

Check this out.
https://ebook3000.biz/car-mechanics-february-2018-download/

There are going to be some VERY cheap diesels for sale for scrap/spares or repair in the UK for the next 12 months or so.
If you have the knowledge and or brave enough there's some bargains to be had. I must admit I had ours tested early to buy another 12 months. Hopefully I won't be in your position!
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Anecdotally I've heard of some testers failing diesels incorrectly. Maybe worth checking, I think yours (and mine) is Euro3?

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Check this out.
https://ebook3000.biz/car-mechanics-february-2018-download/

There are going to be some VERY cheap diesels for sale for scrap/spares or repair in the UK for the next 12 months or so.
If you have the knowledge and or brave enough there's some bargains to be had. I must admit I had ours tested early to buy another 12 months. Hopefully I won't be in your position!
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Anecdotally I've heard of some testers failing diesels incorrectly. Maybe worth checking, I think yours (and mine) is Euro3?
Yes by brother has been busy selling them to Nigerians & Ghanaians.
In fact he has gone off to Spain with his missus to fettle the basement their holiday home with the profits for two months! Driving no less a two year old diesel Citroen station estate wagen that was a nobbled MOT failure he got for 300 quid!
Always a silver lining somewhere !:thumbup:
Dennis

Wildebus

In fact he has gone off to Spain with his missus to fettle the basement their holiday home with the profits for two months! Driving no less a two year old diesel Citroen station estate wagen that was a nobbled MOT failure he got for 300 quid!
Dennis
2 year old Citroen that failed MOT and got for £300?

Sounds like a pub story to me!

(Cars don't get MOTed until 3 years old. Citroen Warranty is 3 years minimum so would have been repaired at no cost. Scrap value on a 2 year old totalled write off would be more than £300.
Maybe 20 years old?)

Ed463

Dennis
I've got my eye out for a Merc ML (a pos which was worthless 2nd hand in the UK anyway) to take to say Mali. It'll be a jolly and the profit would pay for the jolly. Win win:clapping:
A 3 year old Citroen for spares would still be around the £3k mark?

Last edited:

Ed463

Mine is Euro 4

Thank you for link
Ah, OK. Still worth checking that the figures don't relate to a Euro 5. I'd be confident that once you've checked out any faults and maybe had the engine cleaned that it will pass.
I'm interested in the out come as I need to deal with this in 10 months or so!

Top Bottom