fuel tank leak

vondiesel

I have a 2006 2500 158" high roof with a fuel tank leak at the strap. Is there a fix or do I need a new tank. thanks

I have a 2006 2500 158" high roof with a fuel tank leak at the strap. Is there a fix or do I need a new tank. thanks
vondiesel,
I've had good results using patch kits on gas tanks. We also used patch kits on oil filled transformers with good success, but they were metal. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to try a patch kit. They have worked for me before. Sure beats the cost of replacing the tank if it seals the leak.

a Google search produced this:
http://monsterguide.net/how-to-repair-plastic-tanks
http://www.afcinternational.com.au/site/cargo_chemicals.htm

4 lines down.

QuikSteel Plastic Tank Repair Kit

Part No: 6522K

This repair kit contains everything needed to make permanent repairs to leaks in plastic tanks or housings - from small pinhole to a large hole or crack. Famous QuikSteel Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty is impervious to petrol, diesel fuel, oil, automotive fluids, water, coolant and solvents. FAST, EASY, PERMANENT REPAIR - no need to empty or remove tank.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1MPV9
Hope this does some good. AP

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
i wonder if the metal straps have cut into the tank:thinking: i think there is rubber between the 2 but maybe its worn away? for a 06 it seems a bit premature but maybe worth checking my own.:hmmm:

max........

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Before you do, just check that the plastic locking ring which holds the fuel sender gauge hasn't worked loose. It happened on mine. Wait until you tank is nearly empty then undo the check straps, the tank then hinges down for access to the top. Be careful not to break the fuel line retaining clips.

Good info MiG. There have been reports of the vent tubes blowing off if the tank pressure spikes while filling with a high capacity trucker type fuel nozzle also. As long as the tank is tipped down make certain to check the vent lines too. AP

MiG,
What's the next milestone needed before you update the 1,500,000 miles in Sprinters? That's one helluva a lot of driving!!!

white whale

same unit as OP, I noticed a patch last night on the ground. Just after a complete tank fill the day before. From that fill the van stayed in place for a day and a half, and a fair leak spot materialized.
Was only able to see from drivers side initially and thought it might be a pin hole in the tank, the drips were right at the bottom of the flat round button looking disk. Second look from the other side I see the weeping coming from high up on the passenger side of the tank toward the back of the van - high upon the top side, underneath the floor.
After a wipe down the leak has gone away, only small spot overnight on the cardboard.

Opinions on this?

white whale

fuel tank

found another thread on this and seems to be a close resemblance to my issue. Expansion from a full tank and possible gasket replace at the top of the tank.
Will wait until tank is near empty to confirm. Leak has stopped after a bit of driving.

Last edited:

Top Bottom