DPF/KAT cracked at top of flex pipe.

rmcquet

Did a pre-purchase inspection for an '07 Sprinter with 130k miles. MB of Draper UT did the inspection. "DPF/KAT cracked at the top of the flex pipe." Quoted repair cost of $1,600. A non-MB mechanic said it could likely be welded instead, thus saving a lot of money. But some other posts I've read I think indicate how tricky it can be to get a tight seal with the weld.

Anyone have suggestions or thoughts?

(Also, presume I need to replace the particulate filter as well).

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 50714

I would replace flex pipe with OEM parts. Fix proper, fix it once. Why do you believe you need a DPF? However, I would negotiate price with the expectation it does. Most likely beyond its service life and improved in 11-years.

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

Did a pre-purchase inspection for an '07 Sprinter with 130k miles. MB of Draper UT did the inspection. "DPF/KAT cracked at the top of the flex pipe." Quoted repair cost of $1,600. A non-MB mechanic said it could likely be welded instead, thus saving a lot of money. But some other posts I've read I think indicate how tricky it can be to get a tight seal with the weld.

Anyone have suggestions or thoughts?

(Also, presume I need to replace the particulate filter as well).

Thanks!
I fix this all the time.
You will need a 2,50 inch flex pipe by Walker cost about $100.
Buy one that has tube extensions at either end which you will trim to fit.
Remove the steady bracket , to allow easy stinger access and weld it in making sure you don't touch the flex bubble crimp section of the flex pipe .
Job done for about $250 at a zorst shop,
Dennis

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Dennis your shop motto shoud be: Semper Gumby (Always Flexible) .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

To deviate from OEM is utter Sprinter blasphemy! Don't you gents have any scruples? I would like to see pictures of these Mickey Moused flexiamajigs?

lindenengineering

To deviate from OEM is utter Sprinter blasphemy! Don't you gents have any scruples? I would like to see pictures of these Mickey Moused flexiamajigs?
Bob
Bona fide repairs in action .
Many performed with excellent results often using Mexican ex Pemex certified welders.
Actually done best with a full seam and not a frijoles gringos, " beans style " weld oozing zorst gases :thumbup:
Dennis

lindenengineering

Well off topic of exhaust manifolds & systems but staying on the flexible, I have just spent many hours bent inside the hood of a Jeep removing 5 busted glow plugs from an MB OM 642 engine.

The doozie was #2 with a busted easy out in the hole impaled on the remnant of the existing glow plug!

A Dremel tool and flexible extension plus a variety of of diamond tips and a carbide finishing cutter got it out !
Then I attacked two T1N heads that were insitu with DIY busted easy outs --gottem out and successfully returned them to service with inserts and standard studs .
When I get the time I will do a write up on it!
The prerequisite of course is patience and that my friends is seldom in a woman NEVER in man!
Cheers Dennis

Top Bottom