Just bought a Sprinter with 1 key, but it won't lock any doors

TheMFVan

First post as an owner and not a background lurker! :thumbup:
So the 2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118" WB High Top came with one key, so I didn't try to force it, but I couldn't seem to get ANY of the locks to function. Just couldn't turn the locks with any moderate force. Didn't want to force it with only one key for now(soon I'll get spares).
EDIT: The locks are manual, no electric locking device in the van or on the key.

Has anyone experienced this and how did you solve it?

Also the 2 rear hatch doors are damaged and I have 2 replacements that came with the van (but I'd assume different locks) Should I try and get the old handles and lock mechanisms into the new doors?

In the next couple days I'll be removing the locking mechanisms and seeing if a thorough cleaning and lubrication will fix them, so any tips on that process would be welcome as well.

Thanks for the info and for the wealth of information I've already found!
-Nathaniel

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Since you're planning on removing the lock cylinders anyway (they're embedded in the exterior handles), just take them to a locksmith to be "re-tumbled" to match your existing key(s) ... the locksmith may also be able to "clone" your existing key to give you fully operational spares.

Does your van have remote door locks? (and/or a "lock the doors" switch on the center dash?)
Do/does they work that way?

--dick

TheMFVan

I had no idea you could do that! Thanks for the info, I've also edited the post to state that I have no electric locks. (or windows, mirrors, or working radio.....haha)

O6sprinter

New Sprinter owner myself, wish you the best. Don't waste anytime on the radio. I was surprised how bad mine is.

Get a good scanner !!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I wonder if a previous owner got a new ignition switch and never bothered to get the doors rekeyed to match the ignition.

TheMFVan

I wonder if a previous owner got a new ignition switch and never bothered to get the doors rekeyed to match the ignition.
The woman I bought it from said it locked the passenger door when she bought it, but we couldn't get it to happen when I was checking it out. So I think it's just old and worn locking latches. So hopefully I can just clean them and solve the problem, but I'm skeptical when looking at how the other body panels have been treated.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Another (perhaps cheaper) way to go is to have the locksmith determine what your current door lock key profile is (by either picking or disassembling the cylinder (quick and cheap)) and have him provide you with keys that fit it (them) and *only* unlock the doors. You'd still "clone" your current working starter key, and you'd carry two keys on your ring (one for opening, one for running).

--dick (written before seeing your post about the woman who sold it)

Aussie 2002 4x4

Considering you know that it at least used to work on one of the locks you could try to free that one up. I grew up only putting graphite powder into locks (a bit on the key, put it in and out, twist it a bit etc until it all works freely). These days it seems common to use wd40 to free them up. If that lock frees up its likely its the right key for other locks

... These days it seems common to use wd40 to free them up. If that lock frees up its likely its the right key for other locks
Worth trying.

Graphite does little to free up locks which are already seized. (Personally I think it does little in general, but some would disagree.)

When I bought the 2006 used the passenger door lock was stuck solid. All of the other key locks were a bit stiff. The 2006 has remote locks. I figure that the key locks were never used.

The stiff locks responded pretty much right away to WD40. After a few treatments with WD40 the passenger side freed up and has been fine since.

For decades now each Fall I have been treating my vehicle locks with WD40. It keeps them working freely and pretty much eliminates freezing locks. I also use it on my padlocks. Unfortunately the new "smart straws" are thicker so no longer insert into the vehicle lock cylinders. I keep a couple old style cans of WD40 aside specifically for servicing my locks.

:2cents: vic

TheMFVan

The stiff locks responded pretty much right away to WD40. After a few treatments with WD40 the passenger side freed up and has been fine since.
Thanks guys! I tried the WD40 and the driver and passenger side locks now function (barely) Are they supposed to turn 90 degrees to lock/unlock? Mine turn about 60degrees to lock and the last 15 or so are forced. It was getting dark, but tomorrow I'll look into the latches and see if I can fix them with a bit more WD40 and some cleaning.

Unfortunately I cannot remove the cylinder from the rear hatch door because I cant get the key into the opening more than a quarter inch. So still unsure on that. But! I found a spare cylinder that appears to work for the key in one of the cupholders so apparently someone tried and failed the same way I have so far... but I will prevail.

The sliding door won't lock/unlock with key, but the key does insert and move the cylinder so I'm guessing there is too much friction in the latch for it to do its job.

Thanks for the help so far!

Aussie 2002 4x4

always use central locking so I had to go and check. my lock starts off horizontal and turns about 45 degrees one way to lock and 45 degrees the other way to unlock

Unfortunately I cannot remove the cylinder from the rear hatch door because I cant get the key into the opening more than a quarter inch. So still unsure on that.... but I will prevail.
Did the van live near the ocean? It sounds like the brass latches have corroded against the pot metal of the cylinder. The first latch(es) may be stuck. That will prevent the key from inserting.

Keep at it with the WD40. As long as nobody damaged the latches, it will work eventually. You may be able to accelerate the process by using a small pick or screwdriver inserted to try and carefully release the latches. Patience and soak time is the better method.

... The sliding door won't lock/unlock with key, but the key does insert and move the cylinder so I'm guessing there is too much friction in the latch for it to do its job.

Thanks for the help so far!
Look for small holes in the body metal in the area of the lock assemblies. Some may have plastic plugs to remove. I use the red straw to insert and spray WD40 in various directions into those holes. Often that helps get things working.

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I agree with the "45 degree" amount of turn.

For that matter, i don't think i've ever been able to *lock* either front door with the key since the van was brand new.
It simply requires more force than i'm willing to use on the key.

The slider and rear door do easily lock with the key.

--dick

TheMFVan

I think the rear latch lock cylinder (the one stuck) may have been broken. The metal piece that moves out of the way when the key goes in is bent. I'll try the WD40 on it, but I have low expectations.

UPDATE: I think there may be a broken off key or large solid piece of metal in this specific lock.

Last edited:

... As long as nobody damaged the latches, it will work eventually.
I think the rear latch lock cylinder (the one stuck) may have been broken. The metal piece that moves out of the way when the key goes in is bent. I'll try the WD40 on it, but I have low expectations.

UPDATE: I think there may be a broken off key or large solid piece of metal in this specific lock.
That definitely sounds like more than stuck.

If it is a key end you can gently try turning the lock with a flat blade screwdriver. If it rotates then that will make disassembly of the handle unit easier. Once the handle assembly is removed then the latch cylinder can be removed and often the broken key can be pushed out or otherwise removed.

Good luck.

vic

slowgsr

Pull the lock cylinders and soak in atf, the pins are probably all seized. Happened to me, I broke the cylinder apart and put the pins in a cylinder from another van. Tedious.

TheMFVan

At this point I've talked to locksmiths, most won't try and one quoted $195. So I think I'm just going to order a new handle and install my working cylinder into it. Anyone have a recommendation on a handle? Most ones I've looked at have bad reviews claiming poor quality plastics.

Top Bottom