Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, & Problems with the Forum

Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
julie777
Julie

Default Tip for adding photos - the easy way

I have seen many complaints about adding photos, I have seen posts with photos sideways and absolutely huge. I tried several things, including using albums which turned out to be a waste of time because I couldn't just click to add them to my posts.

Finally, I came up with a way that works for me and may work for you. (I would welcome feedback about the size of the photos I post, if I should make them smaller.)

Save Images

First, I take all my photos with my iPhone. That means they are 4k photos and way too large to upload. The forum will refuse to upload them without resizing. I also download images and capture them other ways.

Resize

I interact with the forum from my PC using Window. It doesn't seem to make it easy to resize images. So I found InfranView 64 bit, which is free. I store my images in a folder and I just right click on an image and select "open with" InfranView. Then CTRL-R to resize then I normally select 640x480 but sometimes i might select half to make something very small, for example an image of a drill bit where I am not trying to show a lot of detail.
(At this point I would also rotate if necessary.)
CTRL-S to save. Then I change the folder to a sub-folder "resized" (maybe forum would be better) and change the name to something appropriate for my post. and save it. This gives me an image that will look good online.

Letter "O" on the keyboard opens the next file to resize. I can resize a bunch of files very quickly this way. I usually just do the ones I need for the post I am writing just before I upload them.

Upload

In order to put the images inline in the post, use the attachment manager to upload them. Go into the advanced mode instead of quick edit. Scroll down and select manage attachments. Click browse and browse to the folder where the resized files are stored. Double click the one you want. (The folder will be stored by your browser from now on.) Click browse again for each additional image. etc.
You can only have 5 images, but that is enough for one post realistically. When done adding the images, select upload. If all the images are sized properly and okay they will show as upload. Close the attachment manager window.

Insert Images

Select the places in your post where you want images. Click on the down arrow next to the paper clip above the edit box and select the image you want inserted.

paper clip.png

I inserted this one just to show you.

Preview Post

This lets you see if your images really look the way you want. You can catch that really large image, or the one that accidentally slipped in rotated, etc.

Edit until your are happy and then save.
bobmac (05-23-2019), pfflyer (03-29-2018), ptheland (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Default Re: Tip for adding photos - the easy way

That's almost exactly what I do, except for your time saving steps with irfanview. I tend to use 800 x 600 resolution, but that's mainly a matter of taste. It seems to fit a desktop/laptop computer screen just fine, and is only a tad wider than plain text on my iPhone screen.

I think the main takeaway is that it's easy to do from a computer (whether Windows or Mac), but much harder to do directly from a smartphone.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)

Last edited by ptheland; 03-28-2018 at 08:32 PM.
ptheland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,675 Times in 5,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie777 View Post
Save Images

First, I take all my photos with my iPhone. That means they are 4k photos and way too large to upload. The forum will refuse to upload them without resizing. I also download images and capture them other ways.
There are photo-resizer (and i assume "editor") apps, even for the iPhone (and Android).
Quote:
Resize

I interact with the forum from my PC using Window. It doesn't seem to make it easy to resize images.
I use "Paint"

Right-click on the JPG (or GIF or PNG or...) file, and choose "Open with..." in the menu.
In the list that appears, choose "Paint" (if you tick the "always use this app" box under the menu, you can just left-click on JPG files in the future).

When paint opens, one of the choices on the "Home" tab is "resize".
You can change the size by Percentage, or tick "Pixels" and then you're talking pixels.
If Resizing was your only goal, now click to "floppy disk" icon to Save the result (or ctrl-S if you like keyboarding)

Paint also gives you many more editing commands, plus the ability to control the output format (i use PNG for line drawings to avoid JPG's loss of contrast) and/or rename the result.
I use Paint to add arrows and labels, too.

--dick
p.s. when i'm away from home, i use PhotoResizer on my Android phone, and post from it.
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Gulfbreeze (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,558 Posts

For my own photos I use Lightroom to export with resizing (0.5mb file size max and 900 pixels on long edge). For screen copies and some annotations I use Paint.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,675 Times in 5,615 Posts

Of course, there are always nuances available: the default Android mailer running on my v4.3 phone offers to re-size a photo when you attach one ... it offers Full Size, 70%, 30% and 10%.
If i chose 10%, i'd end up with a 544 pixel-wide image.

What i usually *do* is choose 30%, which yields 1632 pixels (given my phone/camera) ...
... which, when i open it in Paint, i can just do a 50% reduction to get 816 pixels.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:24 AM   #6
julie777
Julie

Now if someone can tell me why I have to select browse for each photo, one at a time. I know, it's the forum software. At least it's only 5.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:26 AM   #7
julie777
Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptheland View Post
That's almost exactly what I do, except for your time saving steps with irfanview. I tend to use 800 x 600 resolution, but that's mainly a matter of taste. It seems to fit a desktop/laptop computer screen just fine, and is only a tad wider than plain text on my iPhone screen.

I think the main takeaway is that it's easy to do from a computer (whether Windows or Mac), but much harder to do directly from a smartphone.
I picked 640x480 because 800 completely filled my monitor and I figured that most of the time that wasn't necessary. And, on a smaller screen it might be worse. I was actually wondering if I should go even smaller unless detail was necessary. You know, save the scrolling.

I'll mention that right now I am reading the posts and when I view a thread the line between "Post Reply" and "View First Unread" is exactly half way down my screen. this is common on most web pages because of the resolution I have to use for my eyes. The amount of screen real estate used by headers and such can be a problem. The information column to the left on the forum takes about 20% of my screen. (I do have settings adjusted to limit what shows.)

Last edited by julie777; 03-29-2018 at 03:31 AM.
julie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
pfflyer

Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,207 Posts

I don't ever post from my phone so I just email the pictures from my IPhone and you have a choice of what size pic you want to send. Select med as the size. Then I open the email on my pc and just save in my pics folder. Insert as described above.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
JFloFoto

Or just use the mobile app Tapatalk.

https://www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_mobile
JFloFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFloFoto For This Useful Post:
gltrimble (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
gltrimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFloFoto View Post
Or just use the mobile app Tapatalk.

https://www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_mobile

Yes, it could not be much easier than using Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gltrimble is online now   Reply With Quote