Best opinion on replacement of A-15 radio

Mackcs

2018 LTV MB
On the 2016-18 Unity.
Would appreciate input on what others have done replacing the Mercedes A-15 radio with an upgraded audio system that incorporates/allows GPS, CD, DVD, possibly voice command, bluetooth, and Sirius xm etc. Would prefer at 7" screen as well.

I understand the Jensen system does some of these things but it is above the driving area which seems/is uncontrollable while driving.

I spoke with a tech at LTV today and he indicates so many people call regarding the inability to even use Sirius XM, forget all the other items such as installing a CD while driving. Of course the GPS Becker system is capable with the A-15 but IMO it is junk.

Please provide your opinions on which Stereo/Audio system you replaced the stock A-15 with. Thank you.

SVidas

2018 Unity CB
Pioneer 8201 in mine. I also added the Sirius module and had them replace the rear view mirror with one that can show the backup camera so the Pioneer can display the map and the mirror can always show the rear camera view. I just wish the rear camera was closer - everything looks further away than it is in reality.

pdxtmr1

Thta is similar to what I'm putting into my 2017 U24MB ("Orca") next month. Head unit gets replaced with the Pioneer AVIC 8201NEX, and the rear view mirror gets swapped for a 7.3" monitor mirror with an always-on rear video signal from the stock camera. I'll likely integrate in new blind spot cameras, using new side mirror caps, also tied into both the Pioneer and new rear view monitor mirror to help with lane changes and parking. Speakers in the doors and soundproofing will be improved with Dynamat and thinsulate, and Hein's 6.5" speaker adapters which just arrived. Sirius/XM is also being added at the same time. The existing audio is pretty bad, so this is all bound to improve it.

Neither the Pioneer or comparable Kenwood have won much accolades for their GPS units, but they are still miles ahead of the less intuitive Becker.

Once this is all done, I'll do a writeup and post it. Its all in preparation for a big cross country trip, which i just cant imagine doing with the mighty Audio 15 and Becker duo.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I second the Pioneer Avic-8200NEX. I combined it with JL Audio TR650 6 1/2” speakers in front doors and Pioneer 6 1/2” TS-A1677R speakers in rear door. Subwoofer is a Rockford Fosgate shallow 10” 4 ohm powered by Boss Audio R1100 amplifier. Boss Audio KIT2 used for subwoofer wiring. Rear view camera is wide angle Yantech connected to Pioneer. All parts including Sirius add-on available on Amazon. Hein adapters used for front speakers. Tweeters from new front JL Audio speakers replace OEM dash speakers. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 allows full use of steering wheel controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

David Binkley

Chicken Legs
We got rid of the brand new but very dated Becker dash radio and replaced it with a Kenwood DNX-994 series radio with the 7" screen. Works like a charm, screen is MUCH easier to see and the power is higher so easier to hear.

Cartoys did the install as I have used them before and they do a very good job, warrantied all over the country, etc.

Also, I had them replace with cheeeezy door speakers with 6.5" replacements. They cut the holes bigger so they fit just right.

Also, had the them add in the door sound deadening material...WELL worth it.

Good luck!

thedaveeye

You think the the Becker 15 system is bad, try the sound 5 system installed in cargo vans. I am installing a Sony MEX GS810 system which has everything I need except for rear speakers. I purchased a Sherwood amp and 2 Kicker speakers and was ready to install when I ran into the problem of getting speaker wire through the front post. I've used an inspection camera to see what the obstruction is, but no luck in detecting a path through the front window post. Has anyone been successful getting after market speaker wire to the dash?
thanks, Dave

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I love my Kenwood Excelon series, it does it all. They have a new one with a high definition 6.75 inch touch screen display, http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx995s/ or one with 6.95 inch VGA touch screen, http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/dnx875s/ . These models offer a tilt screen so you can move the screen for better viewing DNX994S, DNX874S, DNX773S, DDX9703S, DDX9704S, DDX9904S, DDX9903S.
I believe these first two you list offer the very first Wireless Android Auto feature... yes?
Are they even out, yet?
They were just announced at CES this year. I'm chomping at the bit. :rad:

These first two offer nearly everything I could possibly want -- but then you mentioned the tilt-screen in some of the other models. Dang! Want it ALL!!
One confusion I have about these... They say "Glossy & Capacitive Touchscreen" in the Features List -- I don't want Glossy.
But in the art displayed of that screen, it shows an Antireflective / Anti Fingerprints coating??

Last edited:

Obliged

Those are nice. I’m also waiting on the new 5ghz wireless systems to send from phone or cradlepoint. I want Apple integration, with Android Google Maps. Which the new wireless Alpine won’t do both. It will be interesting to see...

TStiles

2018 Unity CB
The DNX994S looks pretty amazing. Now all we need is for someone on this forum to pony up the $1,100 it takes to get one and do a detailed install / review.... Scarecrow ?!?

Obliged

I just got off the phone with Apple Support. There are no known plans to allow alternative GPS navigation, to CarPlay. Only Apple Maps will work, unless you jail-brake of course. That is not an option for me, as I have a company issued iPhone.

The DNX994S looks pretty amazing. Now all we need is for someone on this forum to pony up the $1,100 it takes to get one and do a detailed install / review.... Scarecrow ?!?
Resolution:
Size = 2304 x 1296 = 2985984 pixels
Megapixels = 2.99 Megapixels
Aspect ratio = 1.78

That is a little better than 1080p
https://toolstud.io/photo/megapixel.php?width=2304&height=1296&compare=video&calculate=uncompressed

The video outs are only standard RCA. I would think an HDMI or DisplayPort for HD would be available at that price.

Mackcs

2018 LTV MB
After a great deal of research I decided on the Pioneer 8200NEX. They have a 8201 model out but I decided on the 8200 as it is the same format and its reviews are stellar. I have found however that the PAC module that has impacts on the steering wheel controls for the 2017 MB Sprinter has had some issues so still deciding on that part of my conversion.

thank you everyone for your input on getting rid of the stock radio. Pure junk. I can make anyone a heck of deal on one if you want. LOL.

MotoXPress

After a great deal of research I decided on the Pioneer 8200NEX. They have a 8201 model out but I decided on the 8200 as it is the same format and its reviews are stellar. I have found however that the PAC module that has impacts on the steering wheel controls for the 2017 MB Sprinter has had some issues so still deciding on that part of my conversion.

thank you everyone for your input on getting rid of the stock radio. Pure junk. I can make anyone a heck of deal on one if you want. LOL.
What issues are referring to exactly on the PAC module? I didn't think there were any changes in the recent sprinters (2014-17) and steering wheel controls???

imstilllarry

What is really odd about Apple integration is why doesn’t CarPlay support AirPlay. If you are familiar with AppleTV or HomePod you know how well that works. It make CarPlay integration seem dated and strange.

Btw after I mounted an iPad for my GPS devise I solved all my issues. In coverage I can use anything for nav I want. In a dead spot I have all North America loaded with NAVIGON. I can clearly see the screen in bright sun. It’s always utd. And now my other screen can display my exterior cameras continuously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mackcs

2018 LTV MB
Have you any trouble w your Pioneer 8200 PAC Module. They have reported difficulty with the interfacing w steering wheel controls. I am waiting to hear more regarding your install as the 8200 is what I purchased. thanks

David Binkley

Chicken Legs
That is the unit we had installed.

We went to Car Toys and they did a fantastic job. Would highly recommend them if they have one in your area.

They did the sound deadening in the front doors as well.

Most excellent.

smead

I plan on buying the Kenwood DDX9905S once it becomes available to purchase so I'll be happy to post up a review on that unit. Nobody has been able to tell me when it will be available, though. I suspect sometime this spring.

Top Bottom