Discount Tire = Sprinter Damage

danski0224

I'd suggest avoiding Discount Tire for any tire work that involves a Sprinter.

Pinch weld and rocker panel on my 2015 was damaged during a simple summer/winter tire+rim swap.

Of course, no one mentioned that my van was damaged, and I was left to discover it on my own three weeks after the service.

I have a claim number (fortunately), but I have no idea how well this type of damage can be repaired (properly, that is). Going for an estimate this week.

I should have done it myself.

xmerv

This can be true for any tire dealer. Each time I go in for the winter/summer tire swap I make sure they understand where they can and cannot lift the van.

danski0224

Yes, and I specifically instructed them to lift by the factory lift points.

My fault, because I did not do a thorough after inspection.

Davydd

There are many Discount Tire stores around the country. You can't make a blanket statement other than with the particular store you went to. I've had 3 different Sprinters with Discount Tire installations and had no problems.

Sprinter SS

I always bring them my tires off the Sprinter loose to discount. The local manager of discount says they are experts on Sprinters but there is just too many tender underbelly parts to risk it. They like to use the lift with 2x4s on the rocker pinch weld, but that is some thin guage metal there for a big van. Even using floor jacks, if you don't hit the stock locations for the jack you can bend something very easy. Seen on the board where a tire shop jacked on the front engine cradle/cross member and wasted it.

As long as I can remove tires by myself I will go for piece of mind...

Bendsprinter

Local shop that I have used for years bent my rear differential cover causing a leak. They said they lift Sprinters that way all the time. Didn't notice for weeks just replaced myself, time for fluid change anyways. Think these are just more fragile as previously said.

They won't be lifting mine that way again.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
My limited experience with Discount has been exemplary.

As others have said, you would be crazy to go to any unknown provider without watching them carefully. For me, the difference between a good shop and a bad one is whether they will let you watch them do the work.

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
I've taken my Sprinter to Discount Tire to have new tires installed as well as to have the tires rotated.

I am out there with the guys the whole time especially when they lift it and I specifically tell them where to lift it. They are pretty good about following my instructions but once in a while I will hear "oh, we always lift them here or there". It's my van and I want it treated right so I insist and they have always followed my instructions.

So if you don't supervise its a crap shoot and you could end up with damage that is more than a "scratch".

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
My limited experience with Discount has been exemplary.
My extensive experience with Discount has been exemplary, as long as I do my part. I always warn to lift only by the proper lift points and that request has always been entered into the system and printed on the work order. Once it's on the work order they usually become almost paranoid about lifting at the correct points. In my experience the precise factory points aren't absolutely critical (and can be difficult to get to with large floor jacks), basically just don't be stupid. I have been using both sides of the rear axle at the spring mounts (never only under the differential of course) and the large plates on either side of the front crossmember and have never had any problems, and this is on a heavy Class C configuration. Least stress is generated by lifting both sides of the van equally and at the same time (with two jacks, two persons) and they are happy to do this for me.

Last edited:

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Ok.. So Mercedes Sprinter does in no way ever recommend lifting the Sprinter in the above fashion. Why ? you ask. Well as you lift by the center of the differential the sprung weight from the vehicle pushes downward on the outer edges of the axle tube. In turn applying all the vehicles rear weight to the axle tube while you jack from the center possibly causing the tubes to slightly bend toward the ground. Kinda like when you lift a curling bar with a lot of weight on it. Due to the simple fact that the vehicles sprung weight is not being supported by the unsprung wheels and outer shaft bearings properly. The offending shop could possibly damage your rear axle housing in a slight way that the compents inside could end up with a shortened life span . Take this info as you may, I am just forwarding info from Sprinter.

Carl

Nightpanda

2016 4x4 144 premie
Thanks Carl, this was definitely a bad deal. No perceivable damage, but who know what will become of this kind of stress. How do you approach the tire shop? On the first rotation, we actually had to use the stock Sprinter bottle jack. I literally pulled it out of the plastic. Otherwise they had no other options to Jack at the appointed Jackpoints. Does a guy need to bring an adapter so the floor jack will work?

Scott

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I literally pulled it out of the plastic. Otherwise they had no other options to Jack at the appointed Jackpoints.
They usually won't since the official lift points aren't very accessible with a large floor jack. But I doubt it is strictly necessary to use these points and only these points as if that were the case there would be practically no Sprinters in existence without damage. As above, use some logic and caution and it isn't rocket science. The trick is getting tire installers to use even basic logic and caution.

I'm not going to get into another "Jacking a Sprinter" discussion. Few listen anyway.

I will say this.

The jack points that many here on Sprinter-source love to point out as the "only safe jack points" are designed for the on board tire change OEM bottle jack. They are not designed for, nor do they lend themselves to safely lifting with a floor jack or even a vehicle hoist.

Over the years most German vehicles have had dedicated tire change jack points. The Type 1 VW bug. Type 2, and Type 3 had them. The VW dealership post hoists did not use those tire jack points at all. (Thank God because most of those jack receivers soon rusted away to nothin'.)

To safely use our Sprinter tire jack points you would need a special design post hoist. This design doesn't even exclusively use the tire jack points. (It must be official because the audio is in German.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7t-oO2l5w

Isn't this what most MB Sprinter dealerships have?

VANCARE Express at Mercedes-Benz
mb-kc-Sprinter_service-4-B2_d.jpg

A Sprinter is still just a truck.

:2cents: vic

P.S. - Given the many Sprinters that are lifted by jacking on the differential case I'm surprised that MB can keep up with the replacement parts for all those damaged/early failure rear axle assemblies.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Ok.. So Mercedes Sprinter does in no way ever recommend lifting the Sprinter in the above fashion. Why ? you ask. Well as you lift by the center of the differential the sprung weight from the vehicle pushes downward on the outer edges of the axle tube. In turn applying all the vehicles rear weight to the axle tube while you jack from the center possibly causing the tubes to slightly bend toward the ground. Kinda like when you lift a curling bar with a lot of weight on it. Due to the simple fact that the vehicles sprung weight is not being supported by the unsprung wheels and outer shaft bearings properly. The offending shop could possibly damage your rear axle housing in a slight way that the compents inside could end up with a shortened life span . Take this info as you may, I am just forwarding info from Sprinter.

Carl
Yes Carl
This sort of thing I expect to see in the Arab world--like running a 1000 fleet of buses in Iraq--but then after seeing a double decker bus supported in four oil barrels to do the brakes I suppose anything is possible.

Its all in the hands of Allah!:lol:
Dennis

OffroadHamster

I purchase multiple sets of tires a year across a broad spectrum of vehicles from Discount/Americas Tire. I have only ever had a problem with them cross threading lugs, never damaging any vehicle while lifting. Everything from trucks to the sprinter to lowered sports cars, high end sports sedans and suvs. YMMV but I have found them to be exceptional. They picked the van up from the rear axle (2 jacks) and just inboard of where the front lower control arm intersects the subframe (two more jacks, one per side). I have never had them try to lift a car on the pinch seams.

Sorry about your misfortune. Hopefully they make it right and pay for the repairs. It is possible to make a good repair to rocker panels and pinch seams/welds. Ive seen it successfully done. Good Luck.

Last edited:

danski0224

Update: Despite having a claim number from Discount Tire (DT), nothing is happening. I suspect that I'm being blown off until FY2018.

I have started a claim with my insurance, and if they can't get any forward movement and get DT to pay up quickly, then I'll just go forward with the claim and have them subrogate it.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
P.S. - Given the many Sprinters that are lifted by jacking on the differential case I'm surprised that MB can keep up with the replacement parts for all those damaged/early failure rear axle assemblies.
So right you are, been lifting under the differential as long I have been driving, I have done this with 3 Sprinters as well.

danski0224

So right you are, been lifting under the differential as long I have been driving, I have done this with 3 Sprinters as well.
I bet that the amount of weight in the cargo area makes a big difference if a Sprinter is jacked up in the center of the axle housing.

Top Bottom