The $217k MB copy by Airstream

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
Over on www.airforums.com they're up to 16 or 17 pages. Lots of comparisons to LTV and Unity. Airstream has some QC issues and I suspect that they will spill over to the new one. Can't help but think of Sears Roebuck with a name like ATLAS!

Last edited:

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
Hmmm. If RV design / layout / features were subject to copyright, LTV would have a pretty good case. $70,000+ more for a sleeker outside design, another 100 watts of standard solar capacity and 1" more interior headroom, but less apparent exterior and interior storage space, a goofier lounge / table setup and a smaller bed, does not look like a good deal to me. :thinking: Airstream's target customers may be those downsizing from an upscale Class A with excess sales cash in their pockets.

Judge3rd

Last year when I was searching Unity’s I was offered a one year old no mileage used Unity. I inquired and was told, hush hush, it had been purchased by Airstream to Analyize because they were going to make a B+.

Th3307

Pleasure Way also has a similar MB model. At the Hershey Show, I did not care for the brushed metal trim on the Airstream.

CB1945

Hmmm. If RV design / layout / features were subject to copyright, LTV would have a pretty good case. $70,000+ more for a sleeker outside design, another 100 watts of standard solar capacity and 1" more interior headroom, but less apparent exterior and interior storage space, a goofier lounge / table setup and a smaller bed, does not look like a good deal to me. :thinking: Airstream's target customers may be those downsizing from an upscale Class A with excess sales cash in their pockets.
I agree with your assessment. I wonder how the takeover of Airstream by the Thor group will, or has effected the Airstream product.
Any of the Thor products I've looked at in the past couple of years really do reflect the "profit/production Vs Quality" motto of Thor.
My guess is the New Airstream is not your Daddy's Airstream in terms of quality.

imstilllarry

Also agree.

If you were going to copy a B+ plan this really is the perfect plan to copy. One thing that stands out to me if you raise the price this much why not add some more fresh water capacity and auto levelers?

I wonder if LTV has $250,000 Unity on their drawing board? Definitely looks like there’s a market for it.

2014 Unity MB 2013 Sprinter

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
Also agree.

If you were going to copy a B+ plan this really is the perfect plan to copy. One thing that stands out to me if you raise the price this much why not add some more fresh water capacity and auto levelers?

I wonder if LTV has $250,000 Unity on their drawing board? Definitely looks like there’s a market for it.

Bear in mind the CCC of this thing - 985lbs. You don't have a lot of room to play with here.

ablock

That was an interesting video. Some things I liked:

• Latchless exterior storage
• Finish options
• Cab air bed option
• Included the towels and bedding
• 4 seat belts

Things I didn't:

• Too many motors on things that don't need them, like the roof hatch
• Slow steps deploy, slow bed deploy, slow TV deploy. Just slow.
• No macerator
• Small inverter
• Price

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
That was an interesting video. Some things I liked:

• Cab air bed option

Things I didn't:

• No macerator
I think there is a macerator. I am definitely going to look into the airbed for one of our grandchildren. I had already been playing around with a piece of masonite and use of the extra cushions, but if this thing is custom made to blow up and fit into the MB seats (presumably rotated to face each other), I would buy it.

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
I think there is a macerator. I am definitely going to look into the airbed for one of our grandchildren. I had already been playing around with a piece of masonite and use of the extra cushions, but if this thing is custom made to blow up and fit into the MB seats (presumably rotated to face each other), I would buy it.
I'll build it for you. Only $70K...

I'll echo everything said so far especially the part about the copyright! Wow. You really couldn't have done much more in the thievery department to get this thing! They did turn some drawers in the galley to make them more useful and the trash can is twice as big. Shower doors are clear so that's better and I like the whir or motors moving things around. Especially since you can stand at the fantastic control panel and turn them on and off!

I did like the outdoor storage latches but didn't watch long enough to see if there was an improvement in long storage space on the driver's side. As there is not a tall closet where does one put their golf clubs? But cedar lined is a nice touch. I hate moths in my RV storage closet.

Really? Cajones is what this thing has. Over $200K? Really? Profit on that thing has to be $90K each. Only need to sell a few I guess.

turbopilot

Really? Cajones is what this thing has. Over $200K? Really? Profit on that thing has to be $90K each. Only need to sell a few I guess.
Agree, but LTV is leaving the door open for the competition by not fielding an upscale B+. There should be an all electric Unity MB with lithium batteries and networked components. I would guess they could do that for no more than $30k above the current Unity MB price.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
Not sure I understand why LTV leaving the door open is such a Bad Thing(TM). The business model they are rather successfully pursuing at the moment has their production line sold out 8-9 months in advance. Building an elite version of their product for a handful of consumers doesn't really seem to be cost effective IMHO.

Unless the Atlas was a huge runaway success (not holding my breath) and it took a big bite out of LTV's sales I really don't see any merit in LTV trying to follow AirStream down this path.

woundedpig

2018 Unity MB
I think the Atlas B+ will appeal to the same type of buyer (whoever that is) as the Advanced RV Class B models, though the ARV units are even more tech-laden and expensive, given their size. I would be surprised if there were tons of sales. I do hope that LTV does respond with incremental improvements in technology, like networking of components, more modern wiring scheme, better coach appliances, better cabin electronics, battery/energy systems, This would go a long way toward satisfying buyers and not adding a huge amount of cost.

turbopilot

I do hope that LTV does respond with incremental improvements in technology, like networking of components, more modern wiring scheme, better coach appliances, better cabin electronics, battery/energy systems, This would go a long way toward satisfying buyers and not adding a huge amount of cost.
It begins with a total commitment to eliminate propane from the these coaches. Once you make that decision all the new technology falls in place. The time has arrived for all electric coaches at a reasonable price.

imstilllarry

If you could only find a small company that manufactured low quantity high quality B+ RVs by hand. A top of the price bracket but perfect coach. If we knew a company like that they could own this market nitch.

Top Bottom